Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rachel
Savvy October 2024 Surrey

Legal side in Uk, Wedding in Cyprus

Rachel, 15 of January of 2024 at 10:05 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0 8
I’m getting married in Cyprus in October however all the paperwork is putting me off doing it all legally there.

Has anyone legally got married here but not told guests and hired a celebrant?How would I go about it? Would it be cheaper here than doing it in Cyprus?
Thank you!

8 replies

Latest activity by Rachel, 25 of January of 2024 at 21:25
  • Katie
    Beginner September 2024 Nottinghamshire
    Katie ·
    • Hide content
    Congrats on your engagement & upcoming wedding! 🥹 I’m not too sure on the legal side of stuff but you might want to check if you have to be in Cyprus for a number of days/weeks before getting married there. I had some friends get married in Rhodes, I know a different island but may have similar rules, and I’m pretty sure they had to be there a number of days before getting married.

Getting married here in your local registry office/council house would be relatively easy, just ring your local council and they should be able to advise. I booked mine last week and for example the registrar was around £80, wedding certificates £11 and the marriage notice around £70, I just gave them the date I wanted and it was booked in.

Fingers crossed you get it sorted, but a wedding in Cyprus? YES PLEASE!! 😅
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

If you decide to get legally married first, I would just invite people to 'a celebration of the marriage of...' Anyone who is savvy about weddings is likely to spot that the 'marriage ceremony' you have isn't the legal one, so it's better just to be upfront about it.

• Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for your reply!

We have decided to go ahead and do the legal side of it here and have a celebrant in Cyprus. All the paperwork was stressing me out 🤣🙈 x
  • Katie
    Beginner September 2024 Nottinghamshire
    Katie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Amazing!! Congratulations 🎉🎉
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hope you have an amazing time - let us know how it goes!

• A
    Dedicated March 2024 Essex
    Alison ·
    • Hide content
    It’s really common to have a legal ceremony in the UK followed by a destination wedding however I would advise strongly against pretending that you have done otherwise. Anyone who knows anything about the legalities of weddings will be able to tell and you risk causing a lot of bad feeling if you are untruthful
  • Robert
    Beginner December 2023 Phuket
    Robert ·
    • Hide content
    My wife and I got "married" in Thailand last year. We decided to do the legal wedding 2 weeks before flying out. We got married at our local registry office. Only 2 witnesses are required, so only my father, my son (16) and my wifes best friend attended and were told to keep quiet about the day. We wore the rings for a few hrs, then put them back in the box until the proper wedding out in Thailand.. We decided not to tell our guests,

Doing the legal bit over just made sense and it's so much easier when it comes to paperwork, no translated documents, no having to inform the GPO. Everything links into the UK official and government systems seamlessly, different story if you legally get married abroad.
    The guess knew no difference and if they did ask about that, we would be honest to them. Most people are understanding about these things. Obviously we told our parents though 😂.
    Getting married abroad requires a lot more red tape to get through.
    But do what is best for you, I'm just sharing my experience. Good luck😊
    Rob
  • Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Aww congratulations Rob!🥂 Thank you for your reply.

We have decided to do all the legal stuff here as ‘admin’ then do the ‘proper’ wedding in Cyprus. The paperwork was stressing me out and I feel so relieved now we have decided to do it this way. 🤗

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics