Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner April 2013

Less than 10 weeks before my wedding & venue has added 20% VAT on top of original quote!!

Bobbie1983, 18 February, 2013 at 22:39 Posted on Planning 0 2

Hi ladies & gents - I desperately need some help!!

My partner and I booked our wedding venue last May after receiving a quotation that was within our budget.

I had contacted them via email asking for a full quote for their services based on 30 people attending, as we were on a tight budget and would like to know upfront whether we could afford their services.

The owner emailed me a full quote of prices of services they provide and totalled them at the bottom of the email.

Based on this quote we booked the venue and paid a £500 non-refundable deposit.

We have since made adjustments to the services we want and communication has predominantly been via email. Each time the adjustment has been agreed with the same lady who supplied the original quote.

We recently had a disagreement regarding the tasting of the wedding breakfast meal, as we did not enjoy the food initially provided (lamb, beef and fish) and requested a second tasting of a chicken dish and a vegetarian dish (as she knew my sister's family was vegetarian and we didn't eat lamb!). After several mentions and requests via email, she bluntly said no, unless we wanted to pay for it. We booked a date to come in and then they declined doing the tasting on that date because they were providing a Valentines menu (despite the meeting being the 15th Feb) and they would have customers in for that menu only.

On the day, there wasn't a customer in sight and the chef was wandering around doing odd jobs. She also refused to let us do a mock up table in the room we would be using for the wedding breakfast and we were put in the bar room upstairs. This was fine, it was more the way in which it was communicated.

They also tried to tell us that their prices had gone up since our original quote, which we counteracted with the fact it wasn't fair to increase them now given that we had booked them based on the quotation originally provided and that they had known we would be getting married in April 2013. The owner was very frosty all through our discussions on the day and it was apparent that she was not happy about the things we were asking to amend, even though in the beginning they were open to anything we wanted to have or change.

She finished the meeting by advising she would be emailing me a revised quote, still based on the initial quote per person, later in the day. When I received her email, at the bottom she advised that in addition to the above there would be an additional 20% VAT to pay.

Not once has VAT been brought up before this and I can prove this by the email chain I have saved. I have looked through their Terms & Conditions and also the receipt we received for our £500 deposit and there is no mention that prices quoted are not inclusive of VAT.

I am so worried now as we are less than 10 weeks away from the wedding and I think the only reason VAT has been brought up now is the disagreement and the fact we are trying to keep within our budget by possibly sacrificing unneeded services with them and this is a way for her to get more money from us under the heading of "VAT".

I have another meeting with the owner this Saturday and I would like to go armed with my rights to fair pricing/breach of contract etc.

We have never signed a contract but I have reviewed their website & all documentation they've ever sent us and nothing states that these costs were not inclusive of VAT.

I am at my wits end & don't know what to do. We can't afford an additional £445 this close to the wedding!

I would appreciate any help or guidance anyone can offer.

Many thanks

Bobbie x

2 replies

Latest activity by Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon, 19 February, 2013 at 11:10
  • *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Hello and welcome to hitched!

Sorry to hear you are going through this stress so close to your wedding and hope you manage to resolve the situation informally.

This is not going to be what you want to hear but sadly having not signed a contract it will make it very difficult to do much about in the legal sense.

Is the venue an independent or is it part of a chain? Is there a head office etc that you could try and contact if you are unable to resolve the matter with the owner?

• BarcaGirl25
    Beginner April 2014
    BarcaGirl25 ·
    • Hide content

Hiya

sorry to hear what you're going through.

from a legal pov (I'm a qualified solicitor tho don't work as one) it may be possible to argue that you have an implied contract with your venue so don't worry about not having a contract. And communication you've had with them in terms or plans and other payment will likely constitute that anyway.

generally there is a rule that unless a price is quote as £x plus VAT it is assumed VAT is either not payable or included in the quoted price. Learnt that to my detriment a few times with my fee notes! It may be worth going back to them either face to face or by telephone (rather than email) and explaining the situation as you see it. I know it's tough but take a deep breath, do something else for a while and then talk to them.

from there you can always go to citizens advice if needs be?

sorry I can't help more

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

what I have seen on these threads a lot is brides saying - we are on a budget and to save money we are not having a "sit down" do but rather an afternoon tea so we do not have to pay out for a wedding breakfast. Now of course wedding venues do not like this as they are receiving less income, and they turn that wedding away, they turn another away, and then another, and then find that they are low on bookings so the next one that comes along - this time they take, they then do what every they can to recoup the lost income.
    you said
    "we are trying to keep within our budget by possibly sacrificing unneeded services with them"
    they are unneeded by you but are needed for their business, if they are part of a group they will have targets and people pushing down on them from above
    Hog roasts are another one as this is losing income from the venues evening supply of food, same goes with cheese wedding cakes that go to feed the eve as well. Another poster has had the same thing where costs wherever they can have been put up one was that at booking it was free to have the dJ from 12 till 1am and now it costs something like £3oo extra, I think that wine had gone up by £5 a bottle. Some venues are loosing too much money as bride and grooms spend less and less and they are going to recoup wherever they can. Some venues reported on here have actually gone and been sold off to a new buyer who has then massively increased the cost of the booked weddings. Its not right - its not fair but it is happening. I know I may not of actually helped but just thought I would say what I have seen, I don't think you are on your own with this issue
    If someone books me for their wedding then they get next years wedding at todays price and if my prices go down then theirs will too, this will not make me a millionare but I think it is fair and the right thing to do

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics