Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Dedicated June 2016

Let down last minute

RachD90, 26 of April of 2016 at 23:39 Posted on Planning 0 12

I just feel so stressed, my cake maker (a family member of a friend) has said she can't make our cake now because she is having a baby and due next week. Our wedding is end of June this year, now we booked in with her around a year or more ago. She said just to pay on the day as she only does it from her house and isn't a full on professional but she has done stuff for my friend before and looked good. We didn't have much budget as the Mother and Father of the Groom paying so we had £150. I don't understand why she has told us last minute with 2 months to go when surely she should of known for 9 months she was going to be having a baby. I understand that she can't do it but just think she should of gave us more notice. I haven't got a clue if we can find someone within our budget for what we wanted with this short notice.

To make it worse my uncle is dying at the moment but my family (father's side) lives in ireland so I can't even be there to support anyone and am saying now to myself it's just a stupid cake because of this. I know am going to end up stressing myself out and making it myself and having a nervous breakdown. I am so sad for my family as well, I feel for my poor nan losing her youngest child and been told she isn't doing well herself and probably won't make my wedding as so not really well enough to travel due to all the stress. Am so concerned for her and upset she can't come as I love her so much. The whole thing is tragic, am on job seekers (due to stupid work letting me go because I was off sick with terrible migraines, like being in pain constantly isn't enough you then go and lose your job with a few months to go to your wedding, and I can't seem to find a job no matter how hard I try, even 8 hr ones have got over 100 people applying it's madness) so would go over if I didn't rely on the money to live and pay for this bloody wedding and they won't let you leave the country.

Oh and to top it off we are going to a family wedding tomorrow which has had so much drama and meanness towards us it's unreal and we don't wanna go but then it's going to be awkward because then they won't come to ours and make other family members feel awkward. My god wedding's = Drama.

I am based in Liverpool btw if anyone knows anyone who could help us, wedding date 25th June 2016. I am just even looking for some support and to tell me don't worry it all be ok.

12 replies

Latest activity by LuxuriousGoldDiamonds273, 1 of May of 2016 at 17:58
  • A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

I am sorry to hear about your uncle.

In relation to the cake, the lady should have given more notice, but you have two months to decide whether or not you want a cake and to make alternative arrangements. Unless the cake would double as dessert, you could skip it. I felt slightly ill having a dessert then wedding cake because it was too much sugar.

In the alternative, I hope you find an alternative cake supplier. Did you ask the cake lady if she had any alternative contacts?

• R
    Dedicated June 2016
    RachD90 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advice and am a bit of perfectionist so really wanted a lovely cake. As you said it's not the end of the world. Am sure I can find something. I can whip up cupcakes myself (not great looking) at the end of the day in the grand scheme of things and everything that's happening with my uncle it's not important.

It's just frustrating that people are so bloody unprofessional and let you know last minute. No didn't get a response when I asked that. Am thinking it could be because she is the family member of a friend and that friend is my fiance friend not mine. They have fallen out at his stage do this weekend gone so don't know if that's why she cancelled but surely not. He still friends with his friend's brother and his friend's girlfriend is my best friend and also bridesmaid. Could it get more complicated. Am hoping it's not because of that but just seems a bit of coincidence. I don't reckon so to be honest she kinda knows us (the cake maker) and always been friendly with us before.

• A
    Beginner May 2016
    Arabella16 ·
    • Hide content

Oh no I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles, but in relation to the wedding cake - really please dont worry, it really will be ok!!! :-)

Have you looked on M&S at their wedding cakes? They do lovely white 'build it yourself mix and match flavour' cakes and you can get 3 tiers for just under £100 http://www.marksandspencer.com/traditional-wedding-cake/p/ds458689?prevPage=plp it has great reviews too and you can buy mini cakes to taste test (although I wouldnt worry too much about this as cake is cake and the reviews are good!)

Then that leaves you a nice healthy budget for decorating it - such as fake (or real) flowers, embellishments, coloured icing, icing flowers ribbon, jewels, cake toppers etc - you really can do whatever you want on it and places like Hobbycraft or even Waitrose/Tesco do some lovely ready to stick on icing flowers, or embellishments - with £50 budget for decoration you really could make something amazing quite easily :-) honestly, it will be ok, try and keep your chin up and take care of yourself with all the stress going on xx

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear about your Uncle & Nan, it's hard to cope with at any time, but the stress of weddings doesn't help any does it.

I was also going to suggest M&S, or what about popping into a local bakers & see what they could do? Mine does wedding cakes & they're amazingly affordable & look really professional.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

So sorry to hear about family illness and all the stress you're going through. I'm another vote for M&S and yes she should have told you sooner!

Regarding the wedding from hell be ready to develop a migraine and leave early if need be.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

A lot of the cost of wedding cakes is the intricate icing designs. If you're willing to have a minimalist style then you should be able to get a cake for £150.

Marks & Spencers cakes are in your price range and can be very nice.

• R
    Dedicated June 2016
    RachD90 ·
    • Hide content

My uncle has died this morning sadly.

Regarding the cake I didn't really want a M&S cake as I wanted something a bit more colourful. Am sure I will sort it out just more annoyed at unprofessional people letting me down last minute.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear about your uncle love. Big hug xx

• L
    Beginner February 2017
    LuxuriousGreenFlowers606 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with a few others, try M&S too... DON'T stress over it, there are more important things in life and most people will be probably be merry enough not to compare notes on the cake! As you say, family matters more ?

• M
    Beginner May 2017
    MrsW2017 ·
    • Hide content

Im so sorry to hear about your uncle.

Regards to the cake, could you get a plain cake and dress it up with decorations to add some colour... I'm not an expert with icing but it can be painted if you are at all artistic.

• D
    Beginner December 2016
    DB2016 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear about your uncle.

Over the cake could you not buy some really colourful flowers and jazz up a plain white cake from M&S?

• R
    Dedicated June 2016
    RachD90 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone am flying out tonight to Ireland for funeral tomorrow (can't believe how fast funerals happen in Ireland). Regarding the cake I asked on my facebook and also a liverpool bridal facebook page and got tons of recommendations and quite a few are free and in budget and professionals so that's brilliant. In fact some have even ended up cheaper than the girl who let me down "mates rates" so turned out better. I wouldn't mind but they about 100 times more professional looking as well.

I was messaging people and replying for about 6 hours on facebook but at least I got a few good options now and am getting back to them all on sunday so I got time to decide which is best option.

• L
    Beginner March 2016
    LuxuriousGoldDiamonds273 ·
    • Hide content

It sounds like you've lost a little perspective on what is important. A cake definitely isn't. Don't get so stressed about small things like this or you really won't enjoy the build up or the big day. It's simply not important and no one really cares where your cake is from or what it looks like. A friend of mine made ours and it was lovely but it didn't mean anyone enjoyed the day anymore or less because there was a nice cake. I'd suggest taking a step back and remember what your wedding is all for and try not to stress about minor things.

I'm sorry to hear about your uncle, that is terrible news for you and your family to deal with. You should definitely focus your time on them. My nan passed away two weeks before my wedding and it was of course very sad but also brought the family closer and I think everyone enjoyed the positive side of the wedding after the sad funeral.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics