Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*sweetpea*
Beginner July 2012

Light in the Box - lesson learnt!

*sweetpea*, 18 January, 2012 at 21:38 Posted on Planning 0 23

Well I ordered my bridal shoes online from Light in the Box simply because I couldn't find what I wanted on the high street. I got the UPS delivery note through the door today with a 'Collect on Delivery' amount of £21.20!! Apparently it's an import tax. So a pair of shoes that cost £40 have actually cost me over £70 by the time I pay the shipping and import tax!!!! Never will I buy from abroad ever again. So annoyed!!!! ARGH!!!

23 replies

Latest activity by Nutella, 28 January, 2012 at 19:03
  • jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

Ouch! It is a shame they never warned you of this before.

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

This happened to me too, and they were too small.

I loved them so much I went through it all again to get the bigger size.

Anything you buy from overseas stands a chance of this happening I'm afraid!

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content

Oh man that's even more painful Vix!! Seems to be applied somewhat inconsistently as I've had stuff from overseas before and not been charged. Oh well not to worry heh!! What's £20 in the face of the thousands being spent ?

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

Haha you've hit the nail on the head mrs D

I cried the day my shoes came and didn't fit. I couldn't get the bigger size either. They were also funny about returns so I just decided to sell 'em on here.

About a week later the letter from fedex popped through the door saying they'd paid my customs fee and I owed them £24 quid. To say I cried then as well would be an understatement! (ok I ripped up the customs bill and threw it around like you see on TV and stormed up to bed) Broken-hearted! Then a month or so later I got in my head to check Lightinthebox again and lo and behold the shoes were in stock in the bigger size and I battled my better judgement, and decided to order again. So glad I did!

• mummymrs2b
    Beginner April 2013
    mummymrs2b ·
    • Hide content

I did look at light in the box the other day, glad you put this thread up, will bear it in mind. what a pain you wasnt warned though x

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

A) do you love them?

b) would you have had to spend at least £70 to have lovely shoes delivered from the UK?

If both answers are yes, then don't worry about it Smiley smile

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

The import tax limit is £150 although I still think you need to pay VAT on the imported item.

Of that £21.20 around £10 will be to the delivery company that 'handles' the package on your behalf.

Not really Light in the Box's fault. I get stuff in from the states all the time, Camera stuff and I get hit often.

• R
    Beginner May 2012
    ruby_tuesday ·
    • Hide content

Hate to be a stick in the mud but something like this they do have to make you aware of and it is on their site:

https://www.lightinthebox.com/knowledge-base/c10/a2744.html

• A
    Beginner March 2012
    Aileen82 ·
    • Hide content

I got my dress from Light In The Box, and had to pay £123 import tax. However, all in i still only spent £450 on my dress and i love it as much as the £1000+ ones i tried on in the shop... but it did have me mad for a day or two....

• S
    Beginner April 2012
    shellsworth ·
    • Hide content

Smiley sad sadly thats the way of the world. A lot of overseas companies let you pay tax direct to them so you won't get an unsuspecting bill when it arrives ( normally cheaper too) Sorry I know that doesnt help.

Also I think that if the shoes are too small and you send them back, your will have to pay tax on the replacements...

• helenparki
    Dedicated June 2027
    helenparki ·
    • Hide content

Oh my gosh, I was going to buy from these but so glad I didnt now. I had to pay £40 tax on my dress when it came from abroad but argued it (and won!) with Customs as the dress was only £5.99 but the P&P put the price up.

• Purple Pixie
    Beginner July 2012
    Purple Pixie ·
    • Hide content

I hate it when things like that happen.

More importantly though, do you like the shoes? and do we get a flash?

• lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content

I just got a DHL bill for £9.87 for my dress...but as my dress was only £116 delivered cant complain too much (not from light in the box but same topic)

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content

Och I do know it's the way of the world and it was my own naivety as I didn't check. You have to seek out the small print to be fair and a warning at checkout would have helped but it's happened so hey-ho! As I said, lesson learnt and hopefully it's a head up to others too. At least you can make an informed decision before buying.

Helen well done you for arguing and winning your case! Fantastic!

I am waiting on the shoes arriving at work today so fingers crossed they fit! I have flashed on a couple of other threads but here's the shot from the website again! I have a lace dress so they match the theme....I hope!!!!!

• B
    Beginner June 2012
    blushing_bride ·
    • Hide content

Glad you posted this, i have had my eye on a few things from there, which are alot cheaper than most places but it would be better if they would tell you about it!!

xx

• B
    Beginner October 2012
    butterflystar ·
    • Hide content

I have those same shoes and they are really lovely, so I am sure that you will be really pleased. I have seen very similar ones online for £200+ so although I too was miffed by the extra cost on delivery... well worth it though... shame they are all I have bought so far... eekkkk! x

• M
    Beginner May 2013
    MrsShimster ·
    • Hide content

@helenparki

You got your dress for £5.99 ?!?!?! Well done you!!!! Thats AMAZING ?

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content

After 2 missed attempts they arrived at work today and I heart them! V pretty on and a comfy height! Eeeeeek!!!! Wedding shopping is the BEST! I can't think of another time in my life I will frivolously spend so much money on such a happy event! Brill! ?

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Does anyone know how you can try to calculate potential customs charges before ordering? Would it be a percentage of the whole cost of the order or only on the items (ie if you're paying £65 for a dress and £15 for postage)

• N
    Beginner April 2012
    Natjay ·
    • Hide content

My bridesmaids are looking at ordering their dresses from this site soon. OMG will they have to pay more than the stated price? I don't want them to feel ripped off after i am asking them to buy their own dresses.

• W
    Beginner December 2013
    wintersunday ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure how to make head or tail out of this, but I found this when I was looking at American sites for ideas and uncovered that import tax may be applicable. I didn't get any further with it as I was only casually browsing but maybe it'll help someone here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/tax-and-duty.htm

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

If it helps others calculate, i've now had a go at calculating the tax online. For 3x dresses which are £65 on the site, by the time they are delivered they will be about £108 each. It's easy to estimate the shipping, just add to basket but don't pay.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics