Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

sydneysays
Beginner May 2016

Lights and candles decor?

sydneysays, 8 of December of 2015 at 10:48 Posted on Planning 0 10

So I'm not big into flowers, FI wouldn't want a super girly wedding anyway, therefore our idea was to have candles and fairy lights make up a lot of our decor at the church and reception. This is our church (imagine without the Christmas fayre stuff and people milling around Smiley tongue )

And this is our reception room (also a former church!):

For centrepieces we thought we'd use fairy lights in big mason jars, and then for table and church decor a combination of the big pillar candles, and smaller mason jars with tea lights in them. So this sort of thing:

My one worry is, our colour scheme is purple and grey, does it matter that we are not using much colour in our decor? The venue provides white table linens and the chair backs are gold as seen in the picture, we're not using chair covers. I guess I'm a little afraid of it looking a bit sparse, with the room being so big and grand. Thoughts?

10 replies

Latest activity by sydneysays, 16 of December of 2015 at 17:27
  • T
    Beginner April 2017
    TashAndOwl ·
    • Hide content

I think mine might be quite similar - our venues look quite alike actually. Our colour scheme is going to be dark green/gold, but not too much as I don't want it to look Christmassy in April(!) so a lot of it will probably be cream/white with splashes of the colours as accents. I'm thinking maybe green table runners over the neutral tablecloths to tie it all together a bit.

Relying on candles and lights to do their thing will probably work well I reckon - they'll look especially dramatic and cool once it gets dark and then the colour scheme won't really matter so much. The space will be full of people milling around and dancing etc. and that ceiling is a real feature so adding loads of other stuff and making it all matchy might be a bit too much.

Also, if you haven't, do check with your venues about their regs on candles. Mine are going to have to all be in jars, which I imagine isn't uncommon.

• AKWedding
    Beginner August 2015
    AKWedding ·
    • Hide content

Fairy lights and candles sounds really nice, and will really come into its own once it gets dark. If you wanted to, you could opt for a combination of purple and white candles/tealights (this is probably most effective during the day when the candles are not lit). I would definitely echo the comment about asking the church about their fire regulations before you buy anything.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

What about adding some purple glitter to the bottom of a few of the jars that have a tea light in? Use a bit of your colour in table runners or seat back. Don't worry I think it will look lovely.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

When you have a lovely room like that it doesn't need decorating. Lots of candles will be perfect.

• sydneysays
    Beginner May 2016
    sydneysays ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the suggestions all Smiley smile I've spoken to both venues and we've got the go-ahead for candles! Our church said they have lots of candles and big lanterns which we're welcome to use as well

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

That's wonderful. Glad your plans are coming together without problem.

• Justkeepswimming
    Beginner July 2016
    Justkeepswimming ·
    • Hide content

I love love love those fairy lights and candles. I think if you have enough of them dotted around it won't look sparse. What time of year are you getting married? It stupidly didn't occur to me when we booked our July wedding that it doesn't get dark until late! I've always wanted plenty of candles and fairy lights. I fact I've just posted about where to buy some lanterns from. My colour scheme is also purple and grey, good taste Smiley winking

• sydneysays
    Beginner May 2016
    sydneysays ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married in May...we might have the same problem of it not getting dark until fairly late. Oh well, at least we'll have lots of different lighting ?

Thanks for the kind comments and suggestions guys...I'm getting excited!

• Neil Gratton Photography
    Beginner August 2015
    Neil Gratton Photography ·
    • Hide content

Your reception room is absolutely gorgeous; can I ask where that is?

I think that both will look amazing with candles.

By the way, that's a potentially challenging scenario for inexperienced photographers; maybe check if your photographer has previous experience shooting in similar conditions and see if they have any sample images to show you.

• sydneysays
    Beginner May 2016
    sydneysays ·
    • Hide content

Thanks! It's Oran Mor, in Glasgow. Our photographer is really experienced thankfully, she does some amazing work and is local to Glasgow so she knows the venue well and I think she's going to come and check out the church the day before when we get it all set up.

^Picture she took of my FI with some fairy lights in the background, just for fun =P

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics