Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

lilbeth
Beginner July 2015

Lilbeth's wedding report!!!

lilbeth, 29 of August of 2015 at 13:24 Posted on Planning 0 24

Sorry it's taken so long, but here it is!

How We Met…

Well I guess it starts with the fact that my Dad is a smoker, he was desperate for my brother and I not to be smokers too and so he said from a young age that if we didn’t try smoking before we got to 18 then he would buy a round the world ticket or the money equivalent. So after my ‘A’ levels, I collected and flew off for an amazing trip to Singapore, New Zealand and Australia. Travelled around, did lots of crazy stuff and had an amazing time. I was staying at a little hostel near Hokitika in New Zealand and loved it so stayed an extra night. The next day I was waiting in a coffee shop for the bus to arrive and a group came in, there was one guy sat there and I kept looking at him. I can’t explain it, just kept stealing glances at him, it was when we got on the bus and the bus driver asked him if he was looking forward to his sky dive that I started to talk to him as I’d done a sky dive a few weeks before.

Us…

We travelled around together for a few weeks and then kept in touch when I went to work on a sheep farm and he got a job in an office. When I came home he started travelling around again, every day he would buy a postcard from wherever he was, write it and then at the end of the week he would buy a card, put all the postcards inside and send it off to me.

Despite all this I wasn’t sure if it was any more than a holiday romance! But once he got back to the UK we met up occasionally at different cities (he is from Scotland and I’m from the South of England) and we used skype every night to talk, it became something special. He got a job down south and we saw each other more and more, I finished university and we moved in together, then a year later we bought our first house.

At the top of Ben Nevis

24 replies

Latest activity by Lakesbride16, 2 of September of 2015 at 21:17
  • lilbeth
    Beginner July 2015
    lilbeth ·
    • Hide content

The proposal…

Went out for a works do just before Christmas. Was having a good time, seeing people I hadn't seen in ages; OH rang a couple of times which is unlike him, I couldn't work out why he was so keen to find out when I'd be home!

I got home and on the front door was a wreath (we'd talked about getting one so I was pleased he'd found one he liked), when I got to the door there was a ribbon around the wreath that went through the letter box. When I went to put my key in the lock I saw lots of flickering through the glass.

I opened the door and....

There were candles all the way through the house like an airport runway.

The ribbon went all the way through the house with rose petals everywhere.

Outside he's carried the theme, beautiful candles and he had put up poles to hang fairy lights on. (turns out he'd even bought a gazebo in case it carried on raining!!)

The ribbon went to a little box, on a beautifully decorated table (The only decoration we had already was the horseshoe candle holder, he'd bought everything else)

He's Scottish and had ordered the ring box to be made from New Zealand wood (because that was where we met) and got it personalised. He then said lots of lovely things and presented me with a ring. He'd bought it himself (without help!) from his hometown in Scotland.

I called my parents and my brother, because it was late I received "I'm really pleased for you, but I'm going back to sleep." It was perfect as we didn't want to disturb everyone else so we sat in the candle light and he told me how he'd pulled it all off.

I'm so pleased with all the work he put in and how personal he made it. For us it was a perfect proposal.

• lilbeth
    Beginner July 2015
    lilbeth ·
    • Hide content

Planning…

We relaxed and had Christmas, then in January 2014 we started planning. We went for July 2015 as we were inviting people from all over the world and wanted to give them enough notice. We found our photographer online, loved his work and really liked him when we met him. The photographer and another friend recommended our florist and again she was lovely, and understood what we were after. The ceremony would be in the church where I was christened and then our venue was going to be my family farm so we found a marquee company. Last big thing was the caterer, we spoke to a few companies and then went for taste testing at 2, food was amazing and they were only based 2 miles away so very local. Big stuff sorted!

My best friend was my one and only bridesmaid and she made us a spreadsheet that covered everything! She was also so excited about everything, she made everything so easy, never complained about giving up her time or trying to make us do things her way she was amazing.

Save the dates…

We made bought a stamp and then stamped on the front of a kraft business card, then we used another stamp pad to make the heart on the back (made with my thumb and my OH’s little finger as our hands are completely different sizes!!!) We then popped them in tiny cute envelopes.

Invitations…

Keeping the theme we made these too, another weekend with my best friend and OH taking over my parent’s dining room. We used kraft card and then stuck cream card on the inside and cut out the inserts to put them in the extra bit to which we added our fingerprint heart.

Wedding dresses…

Dresses are not my normal outfit, so after lots of putting off we finally set a date and went to a place my Mum was recommended by a friend. Got out the car and wanted to get back in and drive away!! Went in, told them our ideas and budget, they were amazing. Anything out of budget we were told to avoid, no pushiness at all. I picked out 6 or 7 dresses and then in we went. First one the lady said that it would just be “AHHH I’m wearing a wedding dress” but that I’d get used to it. Went out, showed my best friend and my Mum, and they liked it. So went back in and kept going through the dresses trying to find one that was better than the first one. Never beat it. Got to the end, put the first one back on with a veil and tiara and we talked about it, discussed whether we would find anything better and decided this was the one. Job done!

Cancelled the second appointment of the day, went into town had afternoon tea and then when walking around thought we’d have a look at bridesmaid dresses. Found one. Successful day!!

Extra details…

I was impressed by how much the OH got involved, he helped choose the centrepieces and made our post box, it was great to share everything with him. Our day ended up being very personal and that meant a lot.

• lilbeth
    Beginner July 2015
    lilbeth ·
    • Hide content

The days before…

It was my last day at work on the Thursday and I was also leaving the school to go elsewhere so it was quite a big day. They held a tea party at the end of the day for me and I was very lucky with the presents and cards I was given from the children. I came home to a full house (all OH’s family had arrived!) I took all the school stuff out and then filled the car with wedding stuff and drove to the family farm. My bridesmaid arrived and we looked at the marquee and everything and it suddenly all seemed real! We made the favours and then went to bed.

The day before…

We got up quite early and put all the tables in the right place, and then set them up ready, it looked ready for a wedding! Then we finished off the table plan and wrote down all the stuff we needed to do in the hope we’d remember. In the afternoon we put out signs ready and then went to the church for the rehearsal, we were all quite nervous and unfortunately that meant we got the giggles and messed about a bit which the vicar didn’t appreciate but in the end it was fine and we knew what we were doing which was useful. Finishing touches and early to bed.

Tables were named after cattle breeds and we put them in jugs of wheat from the field. Jugs were on a small log, on a hessian table runner then rather than a guestbook we had advice cards for people to write on and post. The favours can just be seen they are a mixture of personalised M&Ms with popcorn, they were tied with twine and were place names too as the tag had the name on and then on the other side it said "Thank you for sharing our special day"

Our postbox (made by my OH)

• lilbeth
    Beginner July 2015
    lilbeth ·
    • Hide content

Getting ready…

Woke up early, went up the church to put cones out so that people wouldn’t fill up the car park by taking their dogs for a walk around the area. Put out the garden games, then chilled out for a bit, it was all quite relaxed really. Had breakfast then the make-up lady arrived, soon after the photographer arrived. I was getting ready but was aware of the time going quite fast.

Members of my family kept randomly appearing and had to get hidden in other areas of the house so they didn’t see me! As soon as my make-up was done I pretty much ran upstairs to put my dress on. The photographer wanted to get to the church early but Dad and I wanted some pictures before he left.

When I was young my Dad made me promise that on my wedding day he could walk my down the walkway of flowers outside our house. It was a really poignant moment and I wanted it to be done before I got married.

So I got dressed, Mum had a cry, went downstairs to show Dad and then we headed outside, it was a wonderful moment, and I love the pictures.

The photographer left, my Mum and bridesmaid left in the car and Dad and I were left behind. Wasn’t really sure what to do!!! Ended up twiddling my thumbs for a bit. Then the car was here and we were off!

• lilbeth
    Beginner July 2015
    lilbeth ·
    • Hide content

The church…

Our decorations.

Got to the church and I was right on time! Very proud of myself as I hate being late. Walked into the church and it was awesome. As we walked in someone said “You look beautiful” and my Dad replied “Thank you”, he then spent half the aisle laughing at his own joke. I got to the top and there was my OH smiling away.

We had a great service, the readings were beautiful, everyone spoke well and it was entertaining. While I was sitting listening I looked around the church and caught people’s eye and smiled. It was really nice seeing everyone and to take the moment in.

Reading one:

Excerpt from The Bridge Across Forever (Richard Bach)

A soul mate is someone who has locks that fit our keys, and keys to fit our locks. When we feel safe enough to open the locks, our truest selves step out and we can be completely and honestly who we are; we can be loved for who we are and not for who we're pretending to be. Each unveils the best part of the other. No matter what else goes wrong around us, with that one person we're safe in our own paradise. Our soul mate is someone who shares our deepest longings, our sense of direction. When we're two balloons, and together our direction is up, chances are we've found our soul mate.

Bible reading:

13 I may be able to speak the languages of human beings and even of angels, but if I have no love, my speech is no more than a noisy gong or a clanging bell. 2 I may have the gift of inspired preaching; I may have all knowledge and understand all secrets; I may have all the faith needed to move mountains—but if I have no love, I am nothing. 3 I may give away everything I have, and even give up my body to be burned[

When signing the register 3 of my cousins and my friend from university sang ‘Feels like home’ by Chantel Kreviazuk. They did an amazing job, we love the song and by singing it everyone was able to hear the lyrics.

The song:

Somethin' in your eyes, makes me wanna lose myself
    Makes me wanna lose myself, in your arms
    There's somethin' in your voice, makes my heart beat fast
    Hope this feeling lasts, the rest of my life

If you knew how lonely my life has been
    And how long I've been so alone
    And if you knew how I wanted someone to come along
    And change my life the way you've done

It feels like home to me, it feels like home to me
    It feels like I'm all the way back where I come from
    It feels like I'm all the way back where I belong

A window breaks, down a long, dark street
    And a siren wails in the night
    But I'm alright, 'cause I have you here with me
    And I can almost see, through the dark there is light

Well, if you knew how much this moment means to me
    And how long I've waited for your touch
    And if you knew how happy you are making me
    I never thought that I'd love anyone so much

It feels like I'm all the way the back where I come from

Then it was over and out we went. Had what our photographer calls the ‘hugathon’ with all our guests. Then we had pictures taken with our parents while our guests lined up and we walked down while they threw petals at us, it was wonderful and worked really well.

Back in the car and we talked all the way back to the venue about how perfect the service had been.

• lilbeth
    Beginner July 2015
    lilbeth ·
    • Hide content

The reception…

Got back and had time chatting and lots of people were enjoying the garden games. Then into the marquee for food, which was amazing but I didn’t seem to be hungry!?!? After that we had the speeches, My Dad, My Husband, My bridesmaid and then Our Best Man. They all did a great job and had obviously put a lot of effort in.

Next up was cake cutting and then pretty much straight into our first dance.

We then had a couple of ceilidh dances which everyone loved but it was carnage on the dance floor!!! Our band then started and had people dancing all night.

It was awesome. Everyone seemed to have a great time and it was such a great day.

• L
    Beginner June 2016
    Lexi_K ·
    • Hide content

Incredible - i love your story and the picture of you and your mum is beautiful x

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

Lovely report. Your pictures are beautiful and it looks like a lovely day x

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

Brilliant report! What were the chances of you two meeting? Must have been fate.

Beautiful photographs. Looks like it was a wonderful day.

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    Maryhf414 ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations to you both...

Sounds great like how you have noted every little thing. That's so sweet. But also shows how much it's all meant to you.

Glad you had a wonderful time from meeting upto your wedding and I'm sure you will have many more wonderful memories to make Smiley laugh xx

Ps really like your postbox what imagination you both have

• kelly17687
    Beginner May 2016
    kelly17687 ·
    • Hide content

Lovely report and pictures. Amazing proposal too!! xx

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Aww, lovely! Congratulations :-) what an amazing chance meeting too, well done dad! Sounds like it was a fabulous day x

• Runnergirl
    Beginner November 2015
    Runnergirl ·
    • Hide content

Lovely write up and story and fabulous little quirks to make it your own special day, congratulations x

• Lui
    Beginner October 2015
    Lui ·
    • Hide content

Love the way you guys met and the wedding looks awesome!

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

What a wonderful report - congratulations! I love so much about it; the proposal and ring box, your beautiful venue, the DRESS! and your dad taking you through the walkway of flowers. So lovely.

• NYE_Bride
    Beginner December 2015
    NYE_Bride ·
    • Hide content

I loved reading about your wedding and seeing the pictures. It all looks absolutely amazing, congratulations.

• CornishBride89
    Beginner October 2015
    CornishBride89 ·
    • Hide content

Absolutely beautiful wedding report. I loved the story of how you met. That really is special! :-)

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

Lovely report, thanks for sharing. My favourite thing is the postbox, but everything is beautiful, you must be really pleased with the pictures.

• Mrslh2b
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrslh2b ·
    • Hide content

Love the photo of you and your Dad walking through the flowers - congratulations it all looks lovely! x

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

Beautiful report, congratulations! You did a great job Smiley smile

• Mrs.K2b
    Beginner August 2015
    Mrs.K2b ·
    • Hide content

Gorgeous report, its all stunning!

• V
    Beginner September 2015
    VegasBride2015 ·
    • Hide content

I actually got goosebumps reading your "how we met" ... Talk about fate!! Congratulations x

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsWebberToBe ·
    • Hide content

What a lovely report and a great way to have met. Great photos too Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    MrsEdisToBe ·
    • Hide content

What a lovely report. Congratulations to you both xx

• L
    Beginner October 2016
    Lakesbride16 ·
    • Hide content

Lovely report. Chuckled at your dad laughing at his own joke!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics