Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Miss Twizz
Beginner February 2014

List of often forgotten little details...Any OM input? Please?

Miss Twizz, 6 of August of 2013 at 18:52 Posted on Planning 0 25

Hi Ladies

I don’t know if this is a good idea for a post or if it has already been done somewhere….. but I thought it might be helpful if we share any points or little details that we think might often be missed during the wedding planning process?

I know we all want a perfect day and most breeze through their days is such a state of excitement that little things don’t get noticed until afterwards (if at all!) but maybe a list of silly little details might throw up some little detail that mean a lot to someone to get right!

For example, with all the big things I have on my plate at the moment my sister keeps piping up that I MUST buy a nice pen to sign the register with! I keep thinking “shush! I have SO many big things to do!” but you know…. She has a point! In her lovely register signing photo, she is clutching a blue Bic with a chewed lid!!

Silly little often forgotten point 1. Make sure you have a nice pen when signing the register!! Anyone else? ?

25 replies

Latest activity by Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon, 9 of August of 2013 at 15:40
  • Miss Twizz
    Beginner February 2014
    Miss Twizz ·
    • Hide content

Ooooh also....

2. As well as letting the DJ know what songs you do want playing, maybe provide a do not play list too! Avoid THAT song you really really HATE cropping up during your perfect evening ?

• M
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsB2 ·
    • Hide content

3. Clothes for the following day!

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Make a list of little things you may want to wear, especially if that means changing normal jewellery, or carrying something special. When OH proposed, it was with a temporary gold/cubic zirconium ring that I don't wear, but I took it away with me to wear as a toe ring (never planned to wear shoes) on the beach. It was one thing I forgot to put on, that really didn't matter, but would have been a nice touch.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The registrar provided us with a lovely fountain pen with which to sign the marriage register. I think the ink is a special kind that will last the test of time. And I thought it had to be black - I didn't think you were allowed to use blue, and especially not a ballpoint.

• D
    Beginner April 2014
    doodledo ·
    • Hide content

Hint from my friend who is married.

Pack your wedding dress bag to bring your dress home the following day if you are staying at hotel. She forgot hers and caught the dress on a door handle n beads etc dropped to the floor :/ so her dress is damaged somewhere

• A
    Beginner September 2013
    AmyM2B ·
    • Hide content

The marriage register must be signed in a fountain pen, although I kind of assumed the church would have one? Panic going on here now.... :-/

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

As far as I can tell, they usually do. Check with your vicar if you want to be doubly sure. Our registrar definitely brought her own.

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

This may be a silly question but do you sign your maiden name or your new married signature?

• D
    Beginner April 2014
    doodledo ·
    • Hide content

Must be maiden name x

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hmmm, think about how your question would apply to women who don't change their surnames Smiley winking You'll get the answer...

Marriage doesn't automatically change your name, it simply gives you the right to automatically change your name.

• S
    Beginner October 2013
    smudge25 ·
    • Hide content

I hadn't even thought of a pen I assumed the registrar would bring one.........

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't even know if I want to change my name: my married name will be that of a famous (now, sadly, deceased) agony aunt and I don't want to have a lifetime of people making jokes about pantyliners at my expense...! But I don't want to offend OH's family by not taking their name. It's a perfectly decent name. It's my forename which is causing the problem!

I can't think of any little things I might forget, as I'm still in the throes of planning and there are BIG things we're forgetting at the moment...

The only thing I can think of is remembering that you have to meet with the registrar beforehand so to factor that into your getting ready.

I'm just going to assume that the registrar has a pen, or at least someone in the building will have!

What sort of things did you carry with you on the day? Did you have a bag or did you rely on BMs to hold stuff? I might get my mum to carry some bits for me, like tissues, lip balm, make up stuff, painkillers...what else?

This list would be properly helpful though if any OMs want to chip in. Would help me to make sure I'd dotted all the 'i's, etc.!

• Guy Wade
    Guy Wade ·
    • Hide content

I own quite a lot of nice pens, but when I tried to use one to sign the register I was told in no uncertain terms that I must use the fountain pen they provide. In case I was trying to use non-permanent ink.

• Miss Twizz
    Beginner February 2014
    Miss Twizz ·
    • Hide content

I've only just caught up with this! I was travelling home from hols. The points about pens are very interesting! My sister did get married nearly 20 years ago..... Would it have been less of a thing then?? She definitely has a bic looking pen in her hand, she showed me the pic a little while ago, and it really bothers her. I'll see if I can have another look, worried there is something wrong with her Register entry now if it wasn't signed with a regulation pen!!!

• Foote2c
    Beginner December 2012
    Foote2c ·
    • Hide content

It may well be that they were given a substitute pen to hold for the photos (shame it was a crappy one though) as the performance involved for the vicar/registrar if an entry is spoiled is a complete nightmare best avoided.

• S
    Beginner September 2014
    Shirelley ·
    • Hide content

It says this on my M10 form, the one I used to give notice

"As the Schedule is a permanent record an appropriate permanent black liquid ink should be used when signing it – a ball-point pen should not be used."

We had already asked as OH is a lefty and struggles with fountain pens xx

• Miss Twizz
    Beginner February 2014
    Miss Twizz ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Agree with this! Some pointers from OMs could be really helpful ?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I carried absolutely NOTHING with me (apart form my bouquet). I worked entirely on the basis that if I wanted anything, any one of one my guests would give it to me willingly. As it happens, I needed nothing. However, I did have bathroom baskets with various bits and bobs in, so managed to brush my teeth after dinner. If I hadn't known they would be there, I would have had someone carry a toothbrush for me.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The ink has to be a specific type and colour....archival black!!!!

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

You would be surprised how many brides forget heir expensive bouquet when they leave the house......check on this before getting in the car.....

• havecreditwillwed
    Beginner August 2013
    havecreditwillwed ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I signed mine on saturday with a biro .... does this mean I am not really married?!

• havecreditwillwed
    Beginner August 2013
    havecreditwillwed ·
    • Hide content

...and it was blue.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I had a bag which was taken down to the venue by my bridesmaids and stashed well out of the way (cos it was really scruffy) which contained make-up, phone, vaseline, eye drops (in case my contact lenses started to dry out) and plasters. I didn't use it all day, but it was nice to know it was around.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

I should have made a list for the next morning after we stayed in a hotel.

I forgot shoes and bra, so had to go back braless (luckily I had a dress of course) and in my wedding shoes. But we got a cab back so obviously wasn't an issue.

• M
    Beginner January 2015
    murphy88 ·
    • Hide content

Not married yet, but another thing glasses if you wear glasses/contacts one of my friends forgot these and was bsically blind the next day!

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not at all.....that would be silly, its just untill it fades !!

usually you are given a different pen for the photos as that one does not have any ink inside, and so no risk of dripping on the reg. So if you produce your own pen they may have a panic. But some will swap the reg for a dummy one anyway.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics