Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner September 2017

Live band + Sound Limiter? Will the reception be awkwardly quiet?

HappyBlueHair628, 11 of August of 2016 at 16:33 Posted on Planning 0 3

My two favourite venues have sound limiters installed - the first venue refuses to have any amplified music and no drum kit AND has a sound limiter. The second allows these things but limits noise to 88dB. I have read horror stories about guests' clapping setting off the limiter and cutting the power!

Has anyone had a live band and a sound limiter for the wedding reception? What is the atmosphere like? Would you do it again?

3 replies

Latest activity by thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk, 14 of August of 2016 at 10:42
  • E
    Beginner April 2017
    ExpensiveIvoryConfetti478 ·
    • Hide content

I don't know about 88db but our venue has a limit of 95db and the band have said that will be fine. I think it also depends on where the limiter is in relation to everything else. If you Google 'live band sound limiter' you will find some good info

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

It really depends on the band. Different types of bands play at different volumes, and even then different bands will be using different equipment etc which can affect the noise. It's probably best to check with the band that you were thinking of hiring and see what they think.

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

88db is low(ish) and in many cases it's not the decision of the venue but the licensing conditions.

The band does make a difference, drums, any mid to bass heaviness pushes up the DB. It's majorly awkward when everyone is screaming to the chorus of the killers only to have the power trip and 30 seconds to a minute of silence follows, it kills the flow of the floor and the band.

There are bands and there are bands. Ever seen a band with a guy wandering around with an ipad? He's checking the levels and controlling the output wirelessly so it doesn't trip the power.

Some bands have them some don't and it's always worth researching and asking second tier questions regarding this.

• thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk
    thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Thought I'd offer you some advice from a musicians POV.

Sound limiters are just a fact of life now for many venues, as a condition of the local council licensing rules. Although no band will say "Hey great you have a sound limiter!" most bands will have played with them.

All venues sound limiters are different. It all mainly depends where the sound limiters microphone is placed and how the room reacts to sound deflection.

If you want to go with venue one then think about an acoustic duo or a more 'Mumford' style band?

Venue two is possible but speak to the venue or look at thier supplier list and try to speak to previous bands who have played there. Chris is right that some bands deal with limiters in a more professional way and have thier soundguy mixing wirelessly which helps the musicians focus on your enjoyment rather than looking at the lights on the sound limiter which indicate that it's about to cut your power!

There are other ways to minimise db's like the band using no amps and only the PA or an electric drumkit.

I hope that helps but my biggest advice would be to speak to your venue & band.

James

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics