Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner July 2012

Live Bands ?!?!

Chippers, 20 of September of 2011 at 11:49 Posted on Planning 0 16

Hello all !

Just a quick one if I may, what is the gerneral opinion on live bands ?

We think we would like one, but have no idea about cost and what to expect and how to pick one !?!

Can anyone recommend any bands in the Essex area ?

Many thanks !

16 replies

Latest activity by raincloud, 20 of September of 2011 at 17:27
  • Purple Pixie
    Beginner July 2012
    Purple Pixie ·
    • Hide content

I would have loved a live band but our venue has a noise restriction in the evenings. I had one at my first wedding though and it was absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately the price of bands is like asking how long a piece of string is. It depends on the number of people in the band and how popular/busy they are. Do you have a particular style of music in mind?

• C
    Beginner July 2012
    Chippers ·
    • Hide content

Hi pixie,

well, have you heard of a group called The Baseballs ? - They are a cover band, but do it in what I would call an old swing way ! - That probably makes sense, but I am not the best at describing music !

We have found one that are a tribute band to the baseballs, but the compay booking them dont have any video footage of them actually playing, just sound files on the website, so I am a bit hesitant at the moment to proceed with that one !

• tizmelou
    Beginner September 2012
    tizmelou ·
    • Hide content

The Baseballs (or tribute band) would be BRILL at a wedding - great idea. I think a live band or singer would be fab so have just started looking into it - infact I've just emailed a local band who I've seen in the past, they play old doo wop style music, I don't know if they do wedding but thought it was worth and ask and to find out how much they are.

I've found a wedding singer who does an hour of swing and then does a disco and thats a reasonable 500 pounds if that is of any help.

• tizmelou
    Beginner September 2012
    tizmelou ·
    • Hide content

I just had a phone call back from the band I may be interested in (The Heatbeats) - not local to you but as a price guide they quoted me about 550.... quite reasonable I think though I'd try to negotiate that ;-)

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

It has to be a live band all the way, we had a 5 peice and they were outstanding.

• C
    Beginner July 2012
    Chippers ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the replies !

I just popped out to get some lunch and the repsonse is great !

We are getting married at Maidens Barn, which is in High Easter, for those that dont know, its around 15 minutes drive from Stansted Airport.

We have been quoted £1000 for the Swing 3 guys and they do the 'dj'ing' as well for that price, which for me seems quite good ?!?

I have heard of the talent, my cousins guitar teacher plays in that band ! - I think they might price us out though.

• S
    Beginner April 2012
    shellsworth ·
    • Hide content

We were just going to go for a dj but then i thought about every wedding ive been too and the ones with the bands got everyone up dancing more than ones with DJ's.

Also when looking at bands, try and get a band that does covers. IMO although swing is awesome I wanted to make sure that there was lots of variety.

• C
    Beginner July 2012
    Chippers ·
    • Hide content

Thanks jojo,

I think I will give them a call, at the end of the day, you dont ask you dont get !

• raincloud
    Beginner August 2011
    raincloud ·
    • Hide content

We had an awesome live band who played and did dj for us as well. We looked on the net to see what bands played near us and then went to the local pubs to hear them play before choosing the one we went with. They were called the Mokats and were £750 for everything. Everyone said how good it was to have a live band and the dance floor was full all night.

• C
    Beginner July 2012
    Chippers ·
    • Hide content

Hi Rainclod,

Are they Essex based do you know ?

Thanks,

Chippers

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

Hi Chippers

Just saw this, and made me think of a band my friend's parents had at their birthday party. They had a group called the Soul Monkeys and they were really good - I think they are based in Kent but will travel. No idea how much they are though.

Here's their site...http://www.thesoulmonkeys.com/

K x

• C
    Beginner October 2014
    ClareST ·
    • Hide content

There's a local band that me and my OH love, but they only do rock, so unfortunately we're not sure they'd be appropriate at a wedding. We would both love to have them play (although are likely to be very pricey), but are worried how they would go down with the majority of both our famillies. ☹️

• C
    Beginner July 2012
    Chippers ·
    • Hide content

Thanks kirstabubble,

I have just got off the phone to them !

They are sending through a quote, although I worry they might be too much, due to it being a Friday and coming to Essex from Kent, but we shall wait and see !

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

We've got Cupids Wish playing at ours. They have a full band and also a duo or trio option. We've got the duo and it's £750 plus a little extra for an early morning set up. Although it's just the duo, all the backing tracks are recorded by their band and the guitarist will be there. They are so friendly (we've met them at a couple of wedding fairs) and are really keen to make sure we get what we want from them. They have some You Tube videos if you are interested. I think they are based in Newmarket so where you are shouldn't be a problem - straight down the A11 then M11.

• raincloud
    Beginner August 2011
    raincloud ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They are leicester based. http://www.themokats.co.uk/ This is their website if you want to have a look - they may be prepared to travel.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics