Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

kizzi10000
Beginner August 2016

Live bands and sound limiters

kizzi10000, 2 of November of 2015 at 18:52 Posted on Planning 0 8

The OH is looking at getting some friends of his (a girl band trio) to do the reception music, but the venue has a sound limiter. Has anyone had a band at a venue with a limiter? Is it likely to keep cutting out every 5 mins because they sang too loud? The girls do stuff from the 30's to 70's, so won't be all out rock noise, but I'm wondering what the effects are likely to be. Clueless about this stuff

8 replies

Latest activity by kizzi10000, 3 of November of 2015 at 15:28
  • PrettyFlower90
    Beginner July 2016
    PrettyFlower90 ·
    • Hide content

What you need to do is find out from your venue what the sound limitation is I.e. what is the decible level, then give that information to your band and they should know if it's workable or not.

For example there's a venue near me that apparently has just introduced a new sound limitor of 87decible which is just ridiculous.

Good luck!

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for that, have emailed the caretaker. Sounds obvious when you think about it lol

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

Limiter set at 96 decibels. Until OH gets in touch with the band, anyone any idea if this is loud enough? Thanks

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I think 96 is fine, the music will seem loud.

I photographed a wedding recently where they had Sikh drummers on the dancefloor. The hotel went into a panic as noise hit 120 db and they had 15 complaints from hotel guests!

After a couple of requests it was reduced below 100 and honestly seemed just as loud!

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Paula, sounds like it will be fine then ?, shouldn't be anything like the noise impact of drummers!

• Mrs.K2b
    Beginner August 2015
    Mrs.K2b ·
    • Hide content

Our venue had an enforced sound limiter set at 85dec due to complaints from the local residents. We did have a problem when the band was playing and ut did keep tripping out, even with an electric drum kit instead of a normal one. The band had a chat with us before their second set, and said we're gonna have a real problem as we do alot more upbeat stuff in the second set, we have an idea but it will mean all your guests getting involved. They got every one to pull up a chair around the dance floor and did all the songs they would have done, but acoustic with just 2 guitars. It was amazing, and once me and my moh got up and started dancing after a few songs everyone else followed - it was just incredible! So yes, sound limiters are a problem, and I think anything less than 95 will cause issues for the band.

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

Wow, sounds like it turned into an amazing evening - luckily! Have left it with the fella to get in touch with them as they are his friends, so will see what they come back with. I have no idea how loud 96 decibels would be in terms of band volume ☹️

• thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk
    thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Hi Kizzi,

If they're doing just vocal with backing tracks it's easy to keep at 96db.

It does depend of many differing factors like frequency, distance and sensitivity of the sound limiter.

There is one venue that we now refuse to play at because of the sound limiter but generally the soundguys can work with it.

Hope that helps! Good luck.

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for that ?

I've watched one of the trio sing at a wedding, but not seen the 3 of them, but things it's just them singing to backing tracks. Fingers crossed it will be ok, but depends what deal the OH can negotiate with them lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics