Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Elixia
Beginner March 2014

Live bands need a green room! ffffffffffffffffffffffu-

Elixia, 11 of October of 2013 at 09:39 Posted on Planning 0 26

First off, thanks to everyone who helped on the last post with finding bands. I have a good list of peeps and quotes!

one thing that's come up as a snag thou, all of the bands I do like require green rooms. I've asked the hotel if there anywhere the band could get ready, and other than the private dinning THROUGH the wedding breakfast, there isn't. All they said was i could wait a week before the date and see if there anyone rooms in the hotel they haven't sold that I could use.

this is far too last minute, especially since this is a request most of the time written in their contracts.

the only re-course i can think of is if they use the Best Man's room (if he's willing) but then he cant go to bed til they've packed up and left ...

26 replies

Latest activity by Lemon Violet, 28 of October of 2013 at 13:04
  • JSuitsVox
    JSuitsVox ·
    • Hide content

A green room is nice to have but certainly not a necessity I would have thought!

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, I would love to accommodate for that but my hands are tied by the venue, Its just the fact its written in the contract that unnerves me. I'm considering forgoing a band perhaps?

• ShropshireLass
    Beginner April 2014
    ShropshireLass ·
    • Hide content

I've never know this to be a deal breaker before! Surely they can't have been allocated a room at every venue they've ever played as not everywhere is going to have the room to accommodate such a request! Hope you manage to get something sorted!

• JSuitsVox
    JSuitsVox ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't forgoe a band, maybe ask the band in question if they can be flexible on the room, here's an excerpt form our contract,

"The band requires a minimum set up area of 6m x 4m and an area to change. We appreciate that not all venues can accommodate this, we just ask you bear it in mind to avoid undue hassle on the day."

If our bride or groom couldn't accommodate us then we have to sort ourselves out, we're big boys!

Expecting a green room is a little, well no, a lot! self indulgent, they're a wedding band not U2! haha

Unless you are actually booking U2 of course....?

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

I've been finding this too since we started looking for a band. We're in tipis....in a field so obviously there's no where else for them to hang around unless we hire in another tent (costly and an eyesore)

The ones we like we can't seem to find any trace of outside of the agencies that they are with either so confirming is proving tough. From what the agency say we'll have to wait until 3 weeks before the day for them to contact us before we can speak to them about it....it's too late by then!

I can't offer any advice i'm afraid, but feel your pain and hope it's something you manage to sort out.

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

One of bridesmaids works in a hotel that does lots of weddings and says she sees this everyday too and it getting quite the norm Smiley sad but on top of that she also said she seeing less and less bands at wedding because of the green room, bar tabs (for the B&G to pick up) etc. So I guess i actually get off lightly a little.

But I agree I cant find many outside an agency and all agency ones have quite a demands list Smiley sad

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's why we started looking outside of agencies tbh as some of the specifications were IMO a little bit much. Having a mirror of a certain size for example, a certain amount of power outlets in the dressing room area, the tabs, exact specifications as to what time the band must be fed etc.

• JSuitsVox
    JSuitsVox ·
    • Hide content

Bar TABS!!!! hahahaha WOW

Elixia, send us an email through The Suits website, would be happy to quote you minus the diva like demands. What we can offer is a pro band and DJ set list that will keep your dance floor full, no hassle's and a friendly service.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh the tabs are just the beginning. Check out some of the things I mentioned above that were in the contract for one of the bands we looked at.

• JSuitsVox
    JSuitsVox ·
    • Hide content

Nice,

To be fair I can why you would need a specific sized mirror though, so you can to fit your MASSIVE head into it.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

That's the second time today that I have actually snorted when laughing, HA!

Thanks Scully, i'd not thought of that *off on another search*

• Sange!
    Beginner January 1997
    Sange! ·
    • Hide content

If they were insisting on a room I'd make it clear that I'd book one for them and deduct the amount from their fee. Cheecky fu***rs. Who do they think they are?

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

Cant they use the loos? Our band turned up ready with there own bottles of water, as they were working! We told them to help themselves to the midnight bacon baps.

H is in a band and all they expect is their payment!I

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

I posted on your band thread a few times.

Our band did not require anything from us except payment and to know when they could come and set up.

They bought their own drinks from the bar, I said they were welcome to have our evening food- not sure if they did or not.

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, just got an email back from them. Oh wants to see their next gig

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

I work with bands quite a bit in corporate non wedding work. Some of their demands can run to several pages long.....you wouldn't believe some of the requests!!!!!.

Much of this though IS negotiable and is often more of a wish than a deal breaker.

• lionel taplin
    lionel taplin ·
    • Hide content

Contracts can always be amended to suit the client but If they aren't willing to negotiate, then probably not worth considering them. There are plenty of talented bands and DJs out there who will work for the fraction of the demands. You don't want to end up hiring a band and the day to be all about them. And as stated previously going down the non agency and contacting the bands directly can work out as a more beneficial relationship.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

I should add that at some weddings where there have been bands, female members in particular, need space to change and apply make up. This is where a bit of "private" space is normally asked for....

Peter

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Funny turn of events,

this friday i went drinking with co-workers and my band hunt came up in conversation. I had completely forgotten that my co-worker is in a band and mentioned he'd do it for the original £450. They're playing this Tuesday at a regular gig in his local pub and invited us to come and check it out to see if its the type of sound we like.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Awesome!

Fingers crossed that they're just what you're looking for Smiley smile

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

WTF?!?! I have never heard this and would not book a band if they had Demands like this. So rude. Who do they think they are? ??

• smoothcrims1
    smoothcrims1 ·
    • Hide content

Hi.

Ah yeah.... I can understand the frustration! Ok, as a band leader of a band that does ask for SOME of these things let me explain.......

First off professional bands can vary massively, I know as I have played for about 10 different "Pro" wedding bands this year. Some are a lot more professional than others, often the more professional ones are the ones that ask for more as they put so much time and preparation into their performance. - They expect certain things, to make things run more smoothly. This isn't always the case though!

Some points to consider:

~ If you want your band to look as smart as your guests they'll need to get changed after setting up loads of heavy equipment. (I've had sweat dripping off me whilst just setting up on many a occasion). This doesn't matter so much if you don't mind your band wearing jeans and T shirts etc.

~ Females in most bands will want a mirror to do make up and a power socket to straighten their hair as well a private room to get changed in (doesn't need to be a hotel room - just any room where they can get changed without people seeing them half undressed!). Of course most guys prefer the latter point too (the room that is, - not seeing the girl singer undressed!)

~ Public toilets are not ideal for most bands as by the time the band arrive the toilets have been well used and alcohol seems to make guys aim a lot less accurate, this means the floor is usually ...... lets say - not clean! Also standing in the gents half undressed while you try and avoid the wet patches is pretty degrading especially when you've regularly got wedding guests using the facilities. This wont matter too much if your band is rough and ready rock band, but if your smartly dressed band has just spent over £100 on a new suit and has no where to hang it - it can be less than ideal. Disabled toilets are not meant to be used, for anything else but these can be a lot better.

~ Drinks at many wedding venues are extortionate (especially for soft drinks). Many venues wont allow drinks from elsewhere to be brought into the venue. If you're band are driving and sensible- they'll be on soft drinks and after 2 hours of high energy performing they'll need to hydrate. Hence why they'll ask for soft drinks.

~ If a band are leaving home at 3pm to arrive at 5pm and finish at midnight - they wont get home till 3am (1 hour pack down after Midnight). That's 12 hours away from home in a venue that may not be serving food to the public and may be miles away from anywhere where you can get food. This is why they often ask for food too.

~ Price - bands that keep their prices low can do so as their band members can be looked after in other ways: Food & drink, changing room etc. If the band are charging over the going rate then of course each band member can afford to buy stuff on the way. I often find that the very well paid gigs are the ones with nothing provided, although this can be a little frustrating - you can't complain as you're being paid well.

Now before everyone starts an assault on me and calling me a diva, it is not essential to get all these things, and we often don't.

Here's some hopefully useful tips if you can't provide the things mentioned above:

Changing rooms:

1. Many wedding venues will have conference or meeting rooms that are ideal for bands to use as a changing room. If not here are some suggestions!

2. Speak to the band directly and ask if anything can be done (this is probably not possible through an agency). If they know the situation they'll often do without some (or all) of these things. If the band are in high demand for the date in question then they may not take your gig, however if the band are keen to get the date booked in they'll often happily do without all of the above to get a gig booked in. We are in recession after all! - Can't go turning down gigs because of diva demands!

3. Ask the venue if they don't mind the band getting changed in an office or store room. - We've done this many times and although it's not ideal (depending on the state and size of the room it's better than a band losing a gig because of lack of facilities.

4. Ask one of your Groomsmen etc if it's possible that the band can get changed in their room just before their performance starts. It's not as important at the end of the night as most bands can get changed somewhere relatively quiet as most of the guests will have left. Some band members will just drive home as they are or get changed in the car / van. We've done this a few times. I know I wouldn't want a load of strangers in my hotel room, but we've been given a guests room to get changed in a few times and it works quite well as we'll only be in there for 15 mins then straight out on stage. I appreciate this isn't ideal!

5. If the band are adamant they need a room to get changed in and you don't want to miss out on booking them. I've known people book a local Travelodge and have the band get changed there then drive back to the venue. The room can then be used if any of your guests have had one too many and are looking for a room for the night. I know of clients that have done this for bands - it's expensive but maybe as a last resort?

Food:

1. If the band ask to be fed and it's looking a bit tricky - remember most bands are happy to eat from the evening buffet.

2. If the buffet isn't doable ask if it's possible for the band to arrange their own food? They'll often charge a small extra fee but it can be far cheaper than paying your caterers to prepare something or having the band eat from the bar menu. Some sandwiches, pasta salads and snacks for a full band will often only cost around £30. Compared to typical wedding prices - that's pretty cheap! If there's a take away nearby then bands will often be happy to use them too!

3. If there are too many requirement problems with your band - just spend a bit of time on google, a quick direct email out to a load of band email addresses in one shoot with your requirements could get you loads of reply's although you may have to compromise on your favourite band.

Sorry for the essay like post! I hope there's some helpful points here. If anyone looking for a band on hitched is going through these sort of problems then please feel free to give me a shout. We're happy to do without most of the above points to get a good gig and have a happy bride & groom.

Cheers!

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Hey,

thanks for the insight, i can understand the reasons for some of the requests especially getting a decent wages, food and watered, juist just human right. the green issue for with most of the band is just the fact the venue don't have the space since the the ceremony COULD be booked out later for the evening so its not guaranteed. I had considered the groomsmen's room but they be setting up around the time of the speechws so giving them a room key will be, er, difficult. also given the fact the room prices are sky rocketingly high at the venue I'm not even sure the groomsmen will be staying there the night. It was more a logistic nightmare since i would give them room if could but I can't. My hands are tied on space and budget.

Of course these are for this circumstance only, I'm sure they're others who could benefit from the advise.

• smoothcrims1
    smoothcrims1 ·
    • Hide content

No problem, I can understand your frustration. How did you get on with your friends band? If you are still looking, we'd be happy to play at your wedding and we wouldn't need a changing room - we can use the van.

We play everything from Beatles to Beyonce and have band line ups from a 3 piece right up to a 7 piece with brass section. Give me a shout If I can be of any help, we're getting booked up fast for 2014 though so you might need to be quick. Good luck whatever you choose to do.

Cheers.

James.

• mirandag
    mirandag ·
    • Hide content

I would be happy to do my hair and makeup at home/in the car. If I have the band with me then they are also happy to change in the car after loading. If the wedding is in a marquee this is usually the only option but we are happy to do it.

It is important to give the entertainment some refreshment (of the non alcoholic kind) and a small meal, as often the travel distance and long day mean that you do need something to keep you going.

You will definitely be able to find a band that doesnt need a 'green room' as how could they play marquee weddings?

Miranda

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I recommend wild honey, from March, cambs and I dont think they need one.

Lynne

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics