Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

decibelle
Beginner

Living in Guernsey - Massive Apologies

decibelle, 15 of March of 2009 at 16:01 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 12

Bear with me here, I've done 'Living in Cornwall' and 'Living in Gran Canaria' posts here before, I'm just on a fishing expedition!

Round about this time of year, H and I begin to get a bit tired of the Scottish weather and start looking further afield. H has seen that there are jobs available for him (teaching) in Guernsey and it seems to be a lovely place to live, especially for a family. I just wanted to hear of others' experiences of moving or living there. This is all very theoretical and pie in the sky, we've literally just spoken about it today, but who knows, maybe something will come of it?

Thankyou in advance, I appreciate this is very vague!

12 replies

Latest activity by RomanticYellowDiamonds39685, 23 of December of 2019 at 16:27
  • WifeyLind
    Beginner April 2006
    WifeyLind ·
    • Hide content

Genuine Guernsey person here...I was born and brought up there and all my family still live there. We were living there only until August last year.

I have to honest and say that I am incredibly biaised in that it is a fab place to live. I absolutely love the Island, and the only reason we left was because we thought it was about time we tried something new. It's a great place for families and the beaches are lovely in summer. We'd have no problem moving back if the Denmark thing doesn't work out for us.

But, here comes the reality check for you. If your husband got a job there, your husband would be given a housing license, however the maximum you could hope for is 5 years. This is something which is probably the reason why there are so many teaching jobs going as no one wants to put down roots and then be booted off the Island after 5 years. The reason for this license is that after 15 or so years (this changes constantly) someone is able to apply for a local license and reside permanently on the Island. You also have to make the decision of whether your going to rent for the five years or actually buy property. I believe that under the 5 year license you'd be able to buy on the local market rather than open market, and whilst the housing market is pretty stable (captive audience and all that), property is pricy. Average 1st time buyer is around 300k.

If you have any questions, give me a shout. I'd be happy to answer them.

• Doughnut
    Beginner June 2008
    Doughnut ·
    • Hide content

I think Gryfon is a Guernsey girl IIRC...

• decibelle
    Beginner
    decibelle ·
    • Hide content

Thankyou, both of you.

WifeyLind, we've been reading about the housing license and it all seems a bit odd! But I guess when such a beautiful place is put under pressure by the numbers wanting to live there, you have to take measures. A move like this wouldn't be forever, we both know that in our hearts, but whether 5 years would be enough... We would definitely rent, we'd want to keep our properties here in Scotland and even if we sold them I doubt we could afford a similar property in Guernsey!

Thanks again, I'll give you a shout if things ever become more than just a pipe dream. At the moment we're looking at flights for a holiday and we can hardly afford them either! ?

• Lady Muck
    Beginner May 2007
    Lady Muck ·
    • Hide content

we have teaching friends who have been back from Guernsey for 18mths now - they absolutely loved it and would go back at the drop of a hat, despite enjoying being nearer family members on the mainland.

• Gryfon
    Gryfon ·
    • Hide content

Yeah I'm here ? Born here, brought up here and came back here to have my children. Apart from my family being here one of the big reasons I stay is because of the children.

One of the downsides is the expense getting off the island but we manage at least once a year to go and see Mr G's family. Also there are hobbies I'd like to do but can't really over here but then there are lots of things you can do!

Weather is lovely, beaches are fabulous and nothing is far. Um here if you have any more questions.

• F
    Beginner August 2009
    Fireflower ·
    • Hide content

Hi

Just to say that I'm a Guernsey Girl as well - now living in the UK. Just thought I'd give yo a bit of a different perspective. Personally, I love to go back to Guernsey for holidays (my family are all still there so I go over about 3/4 times a year). However, at the moment, I wouldn't want to go back to live there. It is a very beautiful, friendly place but it can also be a bit claustrophobic. I love to go on weekend breaks and to go exploring around the country - you just can't do that in Guernsey! Although saying that, this may just be because I grew up over there and know it all so well already - for someone new to the island - this may be very different. Travelling backwards and forwards to the UK is expensive and as stated - it's also quite an expensive lifestyle - even things like basic groceries tend to cost quite a bit more than over here. However - the wages are also quite often considerably better than in the UK.

I don't know if you work, but job opportunities can be quite limited (unless you work in finance!).

As a family, it is an incredibly safe place for your children and there are lots of opportunities to play sport etc. The beaches are fantastic in the summer.

I know that you said that you are sick of the Scottish weather - Guernsey would definitely be warmer than Scotland in the winter - but it does also rain - a lot - in Guernsey! Way more than it does where I am now (Bath) or when I was in Leicester.

Having said all of this - I seem to be quite an exception to the rule in not wanting to live over there - most of my friends who went away to uni or to work have ended up back in Guernsey or are planning to go back soon. I also know UK people who have lived over there and would give anything to be able to go back.

I don't post all that often - but I'm quite a regular lurker so feel free to give me a shout if I can answer anything that will help.

• decibelle
    Beginner
    decibelle ·
    • Hide content

I'm so so sorry I haven't replied again to this sooner - t'internet has been down for aaaggggesss and this is my first day back. Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou for all the useful info, I've passed it onto H and we're still pretty interested if the right job comes up. THANKYOU!

• Zoay
    Beginner September 2013
    Zoay ·
    • Hide content

This isn't Guernesy, but I spent 6 months working in Jersey (in the hospital). The island was beautiful, but small. I was amazed how much alcoholism and and overdosing and unhappiness went on in such an affluent place (of course, I was seeing it all through work, so may have just got a skewed view.) It also felt quite insular - as befits an island, I guess.

Although it was beautiful and the beaches were great, I really couldn't live there forever.

This is meant as no offence to anyone born/bred in the channel islands; it's probably very different if you have family etc there to if you drop in as an outsider.

• E
    EmmieB ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I live in Guernsey and regularly employ people from the UK to live and work over here. I have some information packs etc that I send out to prospective employees, I'm quite happy to email you a copy if you like. It's only brief but it covers most of the things you need to know.

Rachael

• decibelle
    Beginner
    decibelle ·
    • Hide content

Thankyou, that would be brilliant! you can get me on **************@*******.***

Thankyou Zoay for your info too. I've seen similar things in the Scottish Islands. One job in particular made my hair stand on end - I've honestly never seen, or would want to see again, that amount of cocaine in one place!

You're all so helpful. Isn't Hitched a wonderful place?

• T
    Beginner
    teatwosugars ·
    • Hide content

hi all. new to the forum

Rachael - i was wondering if you email me your info pack too (email: johnas77 at hotmail dot com). my fiancee works as a key worker on the island (5 yr contract) and i fancy moving over to be with her as we both find the long distance relationship hard work!!

finding it really hard too to get a straight answer out of anyone with regards to where we/I can live etc. Open market housing is extortinate!!! double bed rooms in a house for £850pm or whole houses for min £37K per year! My partner lives in authority housing which im not allowed to live in hence why i need to pin do what we/i can do. can we qualify for local housing due to her right to work as a key worker?

i fly out to the island tomorrow for several job interviews so i'm serious about moving there. Is there anything my potential employer could do, bearing in mind my job role isn't really "essential"

thanks in advance!

John

• WifeyLind
    Beginner April 2006
    WifeyLind ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi John

Hope you don't mind but I thought I may be able to help you out with some of your questions. With regards to housing, you are right that at the moment if you wanted to rent privately it would have to be on Open Market...and yes, it is very expensive. As to whether your fiance qualifies for local housing depends solely on how essential she is i.e. is she filling a job which a local couldn't do or there aren't enough to fill, and therefore her License to reside/work in the Island. Her Right to Work document should give her an indication of this, information as per www.gov.gg

Employment related housing licences – are for both "essential" employees and those employed under Short-Term licences. This type of licence specifies the dwelling which can be occupied; the employment for which it is valid; and has an expiry date.

With regards as to whether your potential employer could help, very possibly. However the decision will ultimately be at the discretion of the Housing Department and the companies ability to convince them that you are the best person for the job and that no local candidate comes near. Although, I do know that it is probably easier to achieve this in a strong economic climate when unemployment is low.

Good luck with your interviews.

• R
    RomanticYellowDiamonds39685 ·
    • Hide content

Should I move to Guernsey?

So i'm a 26 year old male student nurse from Edinburgh who is due to qualify in May. I sent a CV away in a response to a advert in the RCN magazine for a Guernsey Nursing post and have been offered an interview. No idea how that will go to be honest as I may not be experienced enough for the posts on offer but all going well what would it like being moving to your wee Island?

A few specifics I would like answered but anything you would like to tell me about would be great.

If the Island homophobic ? - I know there is no gay marriage but does that equate to actual vocal homophobia and does law or health service policy offer active protection to gay employees (the male nurse is gay, I know shocking huh?!)

What is the health service like on the island, are they a good employer and does a nurses salary offer a standard of life worth living on the island.

Are the internet speeds good (I want to netflix and game).

Is it friendly ?

What are the flight costs to and from Edinburgh (how much do they vary across the year and how much advance booking do you need to get the best prices, and what travel allowance does the health service provide)

Is going to see a dentist and GP expensive?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics