Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ems
Beginner November 2023 Lothian & Borders

Living in Scotland but marrying in England

Ems, 16 of August of 2022 at 16:59 Posted on Planning 0 5
Hello, has anyone been through the process of marrying in England when they are from Scotland? The registrar office in Scotland have said we may need some extra documentation etc and whilst waiting on the English office to call us, I wondered if anyone has requested this extra documentation recently and can detail how easy/difficult it all has been and what you had to do?

5 replies

Latest activity by Ruth, 18 of August of 2022 at 19:56
  • H
    Expert November 2022 Lincolnshire
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content

There was a post about this a few weeks ago so if you search the forums for Scotland you should find it. You could reply on that to get the answers from the OP of that post.

• R
    Savvy November 2022 Norfolk
    Ruth ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I'm going through this right now! To get married in England, at least one of you has to give notice in England, which you can arrange by getting in touch with the English council where you are getting married. The only caveat is that you have to have stayed in England for 9 days (including the day you arrive and the day of the appointment) to give notice, but the council will send you a word doc template for a friend/hotel owner/whatever to fill in to say that you've stayed there for that period of time. The other of you can either also give notice in England, or can do it in Scotland, where they'd be given a 'certificate of no impediment' - Glasgow council policy is that you do the ordinary M10 form and then there's an extra little form they send you.

I only know all this through waiting for an absolute age to hear back from the two councils - hope this is helpful and you have better luck than I did!!

• R
    Ruth ·
    • Hide content

P.S. it took us 2 months to hear back from Glasgow council, inc me resending the message. No luck. The moment my fiance tweeted them, they got back the same day - fun tip!

• Ems
    Beginner November 2023 Lothian & Borders
    Ems ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks so much for this! It seems such a complicated process!! Going to have to have a little holiday in England then to give notice! We’ve still not heard a thing from the office in Yorkshire so might tweet them! Thanks for the advice
  • R
    Ruth ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No worries at all! I'm sure you'll hear from them eventually - lots of the offices seem to have backlogs. Hopefully you found out long enough in advance to plan a nice trip south - for us it was cutting it quite fine but luckily they had an appointment to tie in with hair trial, pre-wedding venue meeting etc! Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics