Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner June 2014

Living in Scotland, marrying in England, and very confused!!

cazzabazz, 7 of April of 2014 at 10:08 Posted on Planning 0 6

I’m really hoping someone on here is going through the same thing....!!

My fiancé and I live in Scotland, but as I’m from Manchester (and my parents still live there), we’re getting married in England in a couple of months, in a Church of England church. We obviously want to make sure our marriage is legal in Scotland as well as in England, but the whole thing is confusing as the legal systems are different......we’ve been told that we need a common licence as opposed to banns in order to marry (as we live in Scotland, we can’t have banns read), but as for making it legal in both countries, I’m not sure what we need to do after the wedding itself?

I emailed the registry office in Scotland, and they gave me advice on what we might need to do BEFORE the wedding (which we already know), but does anyone know if we need to (or even can) register an English marriage in Scotland? Want to make sure we're legally Mr & Mrs in Scotland, especially if Scotland gets independence in September!!

Thanks!

6 replies

Latest activity by cazzabazz, 9 of April of 2014 at 11:08
  • C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

I don't expect that you need to do anything. If things were the other way round you wouldn't register a Scottish marriage here.

• yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

I don't think you need to do anything. All the info about this stuff is very confusing, but I researched this as we live in NZ but are both English. Our original plan was to marry at home in England but we wanted to be sure our marriage would be legal in NZ when we returned. My understanding is that any marriage that takes place in England and Wales, under British law is automatically recognised as legal in any commonwealth countries (and many non-commonwealth countries by reciproacal agreement laws), so even if Scotland gets independence you should be ok.

• S
    Beginner December 2013
    Snowrose ·
    • Hide content

The Scottish registrars should be able to tell you whether you need to register the marriage in Scotland (I don't think it being an English marriage would be a prohibit this) - have you asked them specifically for this information?

In England, you don't have to register the marriage after the wedding (once you've got your marriage certificate, that's it) but I know it's different in Scotland. My husband's brother and his wife got married in Scotland three months before we did and had to register their marriage within three days (humanist ceremony - incidently not legally binding in the UK).

I'm sorry that's not much help, but I would keep trying to get a definitive answer rather than just hope for the best!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

We're the opposite - live in England (in Manchester in fact!) and marrying in Scotland - and as far as I know you don't need to do anything different. We certainly haven't been told that we need to 'make the marriage legal' in any way afterwards, and it seems like they'd mention it if we did Smiley smile

• C
    Beginner June 2014
    cazzabazz ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all, you've been very helpful - I've also just had the following reply from Lothian Chambers (registrars in Edinburgh):

"Dear Carol
    If you go through the legal procedures to be married in any country it will be recognised in Scotland."

So I think that clears it up!! ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics