Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner

Location, Location, Location...HELP!

Packergator, 18 January, 2010 at 13:11 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi all! First-time poster, long time engaged. Since Xmas 08 in fact, and plans have been on a slight hiatus since then (due to redundancy / complete lack of funds!). However we've decided that money is rubbish, neither of us want a lavish or sophisticated wedding, but we both do just want to get wed asap! The plan is to do the 'hitching' at Portsmouth Reg Office, but I am looking for a reception venue nearby which has an outdoor space for a BBQ (we're not going to bother with a sit down meal...none of our family / friends stand much on ceremony!!)

No-one we know has a house / garden big enough. We don't want to travel too far so people don't have to get taxis, etc. I am really not fussed about colour schemes, flowers, etc. I just want to get married to the man I love and throw a half decent shindig for friends and family who've made the effort to come and see us. Does anyone know the area? Can anyone recommend a (cheapish!) outdoor space we can hire which is flexible and will let us do our own thing without imposing 'Wedding Planners' or chair covers on us??? Otherwise we may have to resort to throwing the party on the beach!

Thanks in advance for your- no doubt- brilliant advice!! ?

13 replies

Latest activity by bluewater, 18 January, 2010 at 20:11
  • P
    Beginner
    Packergator ·
    • Hide content

Hi Claire, thanks so much! I was thinking a pub somewhere...I've asked a few places around here and they don't do private functions, but it's only a matter of time until I find one that does. Pub benches and booze work for me! ? I'll keep on asking around...fingers crossed!

C

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

Hi there, welcome to hitched.

There are quite a few hitchers in the Pompey area (in fact it's my home town). Saracroft is in the area along with ByGeorge, so hopefully they'll see this thread and might have some ideas.

I haven't a clue where you could have a BBQ etc in the town, you may have to drive a little bit out of town...petersfield, havant etc. to find somewhere just right.

• P
    Beginner
    Packergator ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advice! We actually live just outside of Fareham (towards the Hamble- but I'm Pompey born and bred!) so there are some nice 'countryfied' places around us, Wickham, Botley etc. Unfortunately, countryside generally translates to expensive! Does anyone know where you can find farmers who have fields to hire or something....?

Cheers again, I hope that Saracroft and ByGeorge track me down! ?

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

Don't forget that sometimes marquee hire can work out just as expensive as hiring rooms, etc. You'd need to supply toilets, tables and chairs, etc...

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

These maybe worth an enquiry; Most of them would include the ceremony, so there's no need to go into Portsmouth!

https://www.weddingvenues.com/venue4037.html

http://www.watersedge.co.uk/weddings-events-and-parties/

https://www.balmerlawnhotel.com/weddings/index.html - maybe a bit out of your budget

There are some lovely old pubs which may also be ok, over the 'back of the hill' e.g. towards Bishops Waltham & the Meons

Good Luck

• bygeorge
    bygeorge ·
    • Hide content

Hiya, welcome to Hitched!

I know that you can hire the BBQ field areas at the Queen Elizabeth Country Park - I did a wedding a couple of years ago where they put a marquee up there and had a full on reception with BBQ, band etc etc. Have a look here https://www3.hants.gov.uk/hampshire-countryside/qecp/bbq-qecp.htm

HTH a bit! Georgie

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

See I knew you'd be able to help...I love QECP, I'd happily get wedded there ?

• P
    Beginner
    Packergator ·
    • Hide content

You are all legends! ? Thanks- I've got a few leads to follow up on now- and follow up I shall! Will let you know how I get on. I remember going to QECP when I was a kid for BBQs with the extended family and it was always a riot- beers, frisby, music and rolling down hills in the sunshine- sounds perfect! : )

Thanks again,

C

• bygeorge
    bygeorge ·
    • Hide content

Saying that about pubs has just reminded me that I know of another reception later this year in the garden of the Horse & Jockey at Denmead...might be worth a look too.

• pink alien
    Beginner May 2008
    pink alien ·
    • Hide content

Not sure if this is near enough but if you can't get an outside space, I had my reception at Otterbourne Village Hall which has a lovely outdoor area - and a big hall so if the weather is bad you're covered - also there is a bar there and all profits go to charity....

www.otterbournevillagehall.org.uk

• Jumbly Girl
    Beginner May 2010
    Jumbly Girl ·
    • Hide content

Hey Packergator,

There's a vineyard in the Southampton end of the New Forest that will let you do what you like in their grounds for minimal price. They have contacts that they will share with you, but you don't need to use their suppliers at all. We looked there when we were thinking of having our wedding down south rather than home. The link is http://www.setleyridgevineyard.co.uk/new-forest-wedding-venues.asp

The bonus is that you can also get them to put on a wine tasting to entertain your guests....

• bluewater
    Beginner August 2009
    bluewater ·
    • Hide content

Can't help as i'm not a local, but just wanted to say welcome, and that a wedding bbq on the beach sounds like great fun!

alternatively a country park will be just as nice! ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics