Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

friya123
Beginner August 2013

London Brides

friya123, 6 of February of 2012 at 11:06 Posted on Planning 0 72

Hello!

I'd love to hear from other brides getting married in London town Smiley smile Mine's in August 2013 at The Amadeus in Little Venice.

http://amadeuscentre.co.uk/

If you're a London bride, how's your planning going? What's your venue? Any good suppliers you can share?

x

72 replies

Latest activity by Bride123, 20 of April of 2012 at 15:17
  • Pook82
    Beginner August 2012
    Pook82 ·
    • Hide content

Hey, I am a fellow London bride! Getting married at the end of August at Winchester House in Putney. I actually looked at your venue during my search!

So far we've booked the venue, band, DJ, photographer (we think), ordered our save the date cards and I think found my dress. Still got loads to do but actually writing down what we've done so far does make me feel better!

Priorties for this week are to find to nearby hotels and sort out our menus

• friya123
    Beginner August 2013
    friya123 ·
    • Hide content

Ooh wow, you've done loads!And your venue is beautiful - good choice Smiley smile

May I ask how you found your band and DJ? I'm finding that bit quite tricky...

There's a gorgeous hotel about 2 minutes from our venue and you get preferential rates - so excited! Should probably book our bridal suite soon...

• Pook82
    Beginner August 2012
    Pook82 ·
    • Hide content

We found our DJ through a company called Function Junction who our venue recommended - you can go onto their website and search all of their DJ's bands etc. They've been very good so far and very reasonably priced.

Our band is actually a steel band - just playing for a couple of hours in the early evening when our evening guests arrive. I found them using the good old faithfull google search method!

The majority of our friends and family live in London so not everyone will need hotels but we need to give people a few options and also fine places for us and our parents etc to stay the night before. H2B and I are considering treating ourselves and staying in a plush hotel in Central London on the night of the wedding.

It is all very exciting - and great to find some another London bride - was begining to think I was the only one on here!

Do you get a wedding planner with your venue? We don't, which doesn't seem to be a problem so far.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

I didn't get married in London but I walk past the Amadeus Centre each time I go to pilates. Have attended a couple of functions there too.

• friya123
    Beginner August 2013
    friya123 ·
    • Hide content

Ooh, thank you - Function Junction looks good Smiley smile

Fingers crossed you find some nice hotels! Definitely think you should treat yourself and go all out with a hotel in town Smiley winking

We don't get a wedding planner either. I'm quite happy with that so far, but might eat my words nearer the time!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

There are a couple of hotels quite close to the Amadeus Centre but I wouldn't recommend them. You're close enough to get to somewhere fabulous like the Hempel (the Beluga Suite is lovely!) or you could get a taxi to somewhere like The Rookery or The Connaught. There are loads of lovely places to choose from.

• Babygirl310509
    Beginner June 2013
    Babygirl310509 ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married at The Lensbury, Teddington on Saturday 29th June 2013! So far we have booked the venue, bought save the date cards, bought my dress and my bridesmaid dress and got a few of the kids favours. My step mother in law is doing our flowers which is a big weight off our shoulders lol

• L
    Beginner May 2012
    lotte_ ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married on the 5th May at my local Church in New Cross and having my reception in pub in Nunhead. A proper knees up!

If you are looking for anyone to do hair and make up, I'm launching an agency for freelance beauticians etc next week. PM me for more details as I know we aren't supposed to advertise on here!

• KEBO Jewellery
    KEBO Jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I am not a London Bride but a London/Surrey supplier...I hope you don't mind my posting. I have lots of contacts with local suppliers (cakes, cupcakes, flowers, photograher, wedding planner,bridal shop etc) and if you give my name, they will give you a discount. Feel free to contact me *****@*************.**.**

• friya123
    Beginner August 2013
    friya123 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Went to see our (probable) caterer last night - turns out wedding planning is all part of their service Smiley smile

• friya123
    Beginner August 2013
    friya123 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the recommendations! So, you wouldn't recommend The Colonnades? They have preferential rates if you're getting married at The Amadeus, so we thought they might be a good bet.

• Pook82
    Beginner August 2012
    Pook82 ·
    • Hide content

Ah that's really good!! Have you decided on your menu yet?

I think my main concerns about not having a planner are 1) Setting up and decorating the place; I really want to do this myself and if we can do it the day before then it wont be a problem at all. But, if the venue have an event the day before then it'll have to be decorated in the morning, in which case I may consider hiring a wedding planner just for the day - too extravagent?! and 2) Who makes sure the day runs smoothly? I guess that will be the best man and MOH's job but am considering a master of ceremonies - not sure how much one costs though!

• friya123
    Beginner August 2013
    friya123 ·
    • Hide content

We bounced a lot of ideas around last night (sooo much fun!) but no real menu yet. He's going to email us with a bunch of ideas and scary numbers. Slightly dreading the numbers! I think he has a good idea of our budget, but we'll have to eliminate some things and try and get the price down.

I used to think it was extravagant to hire a wedding planner but, after the caterers told us all the millions of things they'll do for us on the day (including MCing) I'm so glad we have the option not to do it all ourselves! We've got 3 hours before the event to set up, which is fine but not great for me and my hubby to be, rushing around to make the tables pretty when we could be relaxing and preening. My bridesmaids are happy to help, but I want them to have a fun, relaxing day too. I don't think we could afford to get a wedding planner but, if it's included in the catering service, that's wonderful!

I think I heard somewhere that you can get wedding planners quite cheaply if you look for someone who's still working towards their qualifications in it. No idea about MCs, though!

How's your menu coming along?

• Pook82
    Beginner August 2012
    Pook82 ·
    • Hide content

Ah thanks for the tip! My ideal would be to set up the morning before and then go and be pampered! But if the worst comes to it then I'm prepared to pay for someone to di it for us if it means we can all have a relaxing morning!

We've not agreed our menu yet but are thinking of having a platter style starter of mini bell peppers stuffed with goats cheese, spicy sausage and breads with olive oil etc. Then for main something like chicken or pork wrapped in parma ham and then for desert my OH's all time fav - banoffee pie! Not to everyone's taste I'm sure but it's all things that we like to eat.

We're then having canapes for the evening guests and we're happy with the venues suggestions on these. The things like bacon and sausage butties and meats etc in the evening around 10pm - I'm hoping people wont go hungry!

• friya123
    Beginner August 2013
    friya123 ·
    • Hide content

I think, if your budget can stretch to it, it might be quite lovely to leave it all to someone else! The idea's certainly appealing to me after talking to the caterer, I must say...

Ooh, your food sounds amaaazing! And I love that you're having banoffee pie - I'm sure that the more the menu reflects you both, the better Smiley smile

The nibbles for the evening sound brilliant - just what people are after when they've had a few drinks and a boogie!

• Pook82
    Beginner August 2012
    Pook82 ·
    • Hide content

Yeah I think nearer the time I will probably think that too!!

Ah thanks!! We're having quite a small ceremony and wedding breakfast for around 40 people and from what I've seen from other venues the catering costs are very reasonable. We're then having another 120 people to our "evening" from around 5:30 - so we need to make sure eveyone is fed and watered throughout!

Are you supplying your own drink at your venue? We are - just not sure how much to bring in - would be awful if we ran out!

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    Bee26 ·
    • Hide content

Hi all, im a south london/surrey borders bride. We're getting married at Glenmore House which is a masonic house in Surbiton, Surrey. We havent got anything else booked yet. If anyone could recommend reasonably priced photgraphers that would be great!

Is anyone going to any wedding fairs soon? Im going to the Hampton Court one on the 19th and the National Wedding Show at Olympia on the 24th

• Pook82
    Beginner August 2012
    Pook82 ·
    • Hide content

Your venue looks lovely!

We found our photographer via Hitched - Colin Leonard. We're due to meet him this weekend for an engement shoot before confirming our booking but so far he's been really helpful in emails etc so we're happy!

I've only been to one wedding show so far which was the Designer Wedding Show back in October. I got free tickets via work - otherwise I wouldn't have chosen that one as everything was super expensive!! But it was great to wander around and get ideas etc - you're only a bride once so might aswell make the most if it!

• soon2bmrsRB
    Beginner May 2013
    soon2bmrsRB ·
    • Hide content

Hi girls im in sw london and havent yet got my venue, we're going for a more relaxed day with the ceremony and then pretty much a party with buffet afterwards. anyone have any ideas of venues? and woud you mind telling me how much you paid for yours as ive ordered some brochures of a couple of venues you have mentioned? x

• Pook82
    Beginner August 2012
    Pook82 ·
    • Hide content

I really love our venue Winchester House (you might have guessed!) we're having a small ceremony and wedding breakfast and then a big party.

The hire charges are on the website - we're having our wedding on a bank holiday Sunday. Sunday and Friday's are cheaper then Saturdays for the venue hire. The catering costs are very reasonable and because the venue is run by the catering company they've got loads of options. The big plus point for us was also that we can bring our own drink which will save us a lot!

Just remember to add VAT to all prices you see - that was a bit of a shock to us, so naive but true!

It you want any other info on the venue feel free to send me a private message

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    Bee26 ·
    • Hide content

I first found our venue on cheapweddingsuccess.co.uk, have a look on there there are lots of cheap venues which other brides have recommended. Ours is very cheap (compared to toher places), there is not hire fees you just pay for the food and drink! so for a 3 course meal, arrival drinks, wine on the tables and champagne for the speeches its coming to just over £4k for 120 guests! Plus £150 if we have the ceremony there too.

Whereabouts in SW are you im in mitcham!

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    Bee26 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Jules Ill check out that photographer!

• friya123
    Beginner August 2013
    friya123 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think we'll either supply our own booze or supply part of it and let people BYOB. We'll definitely provide bubbly, I know that much. The advice I've read is to allow half a bottle of wine for each person - that should cover the boozy ones when you take into account non drinkers, kids, oldies, etc. There'll be a lot of Yorkshire people at mine, so we'll need some good old ale as well!

• friya123
    Beginner August 2013
    friya123 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm not sure how much I like the idea of a wedding fair but everyone says I'll enjoy it! Am thinking of going to The London Vintage Wedding Fair, which sounds fun...

• soon2bmrsRB
    Beginner May 2013
    soon2bmrsRB ·
    • Hide content

I first found our venue on cheapweddingsuccess.co.uk, have a look on there there are lots of cheap venues which other brides have recommended. Ours is very cheap (compared to toher places), there is not hire fees you just pay for the food and drink! so for a 3 course meal, arrival drinks, wine on the tables and champagne for the speeches its coming to just over £4k for 120 guests! Plus £150 if we have the ceremony there too.

Whereabouts in SW are you im in mitcham!

thanks bee im in wimbledon! where is your venue if you dont mind me asking?

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    Bee26 ·
    • Hide content

Oh right near me! Its Glenmore House in Surbiton (just past Kingston) its really nice. The nicest one we viewed and the cheapest! Are you planning a civil or church ceremony?

Jules, ive emailed that photographer you mentioned and hes sent me his price list - can I ask what package you've gone for? The disc only deal sounds good do you think its better to get an album though? Or can u get a good one made up yourself? sorry for all the questions!

p.s. how do you quote someones post in your reply?

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Ah we looked into the Amadeus Centre but we chickened out as we figured decorating it to how we wanted and having separate caterers we might run the risk of going over budget or the whole thing becoming too stressful.

We went for The Dorchester on park lane in the end which was actually the first place we viewed (viewed around 10 in total) nothing seemed to compare except maybe The Dorchester's sister hotel in Ascot Coworth Park which was equally stunning but we were concerned about the logistics.

My other half is really into photography which has kind of rubbed off on me I look a photos with a more critical eye then I did before photographers so we were both in agreement we would rather blow the budget on a decent photographer to capture great memories and cut back on budget for cake or flowers that will be eaten or die so we have opted for award winning photographer Janis Ratnieks http://www.janisratnieks.com/ the only other photographer we would have considered would have been http://www.xsightuk.com/ although that would have been blowing our budget big time.

As for flowers we have not decided yet but https://www.maryjanevaughan.co.uk/ does the corporate flowers where my OH works and he sometimes brings some home for and they are stunning, we were also recommended https://www.rvhfloraldesign.com/

we have not decided on cake supplier yet but we are thinking of going for small cakes like https://www.patisserie-valerie.co.uk/s214_Valeries-Chocolate-Gateaux-Cup-Cakes.aspx

Our local TK max is very good for home wears type stuff, it can be hit and miss but if you keep your eye out and you can find some really cheap gems, we got some stunning decorative items for our day.

• Pook82
    Beginner August 2012
    Pook82 ·
    • Hide content

Funkyjameseo - I am super jealous that you're getting married at the Dorchester - WOW!!!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We are only having small wedding ceremony and breakfast approx 30 people (then about 60 in the evening) it was really hard finding nice small venues or venues with small banqueting rooms that were not too corporate in London.

• soon2bmrsRB
    Beginner May 2013
    soon2bmrsRB ·
    • Hide content

Oh right near me! Its Glenmore House in Surbiton (just past Kingston) its really nice. The nicest one we viewed and the cheapest! Are you planning a civil or church ceremony?

its a civil ceremony so hoping to have both in the same place i think il go and view it as there have sent me an email with their brochure attached. thanks!! x

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    Bee26 ·
    • Hide content

Let me know how it goes would be great to share ideas if you go for it! When are u lookingto gt mried?

Sorry for the typos my iPhone doesn't seem compatible with hitched!

• soon2bmrsRB
    Beginner May 2013
    soon2bmrsRB ·
    • Hide content

Getting married next may!! how about you?x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics