Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

D

London UK - Dressmaker?!

Dressless, 12 May, 2011 at 14:02 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi there, I am living London, and will be a bridesmaid for my friend's wedding in Canada in 2.5 months, and she has chosen to buy the material and mail it over so that I can get my own dress made. This seems to be less common over here than it is back in Canada, and I am having trouble finding a dress maker who'll make me a dress for under 250 pounds. Is this normal? Can anyone recommend a dressmaker who won't make a hash of it but won't charge me the world? I want to look nice on her big day, but I want to be able to afford the flight home so I can actually ATTEND her big day too! Thanks so much for your help!

6 replies

Latest activity by Mrs C, 17 May, 2011 at 14:20
  • MrsShark
    Beginner September 2011
    MrsShark ·
    • Hide content

Hi there,

Welcome to Hitched!

I am not sure where she is based but this lady is supposed to be pretty good - http://www.estilomoda.co.uk/

I was looking at getting my wedding dress made at one stage and she was lovely, really helpful so she may be worth a go?

Good luck!

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

London's a BIG place! Where are you?

If you're out west-way, I have details of a dressmaker, Sylvia de Gregorio, who came highly recommended by quite a few people and a family friend. (She lives in Perivale.) I haven't used her myself as it turned out I didn't need any alterations. But she is apparently quite reasonable. Send me a message on here if you'd like me to pass on her phone number.

• D
    Dressless ·
    • Hide content

Wow, thanks for all the speedy replies!

I am living in the south of London (SW17 - Wandsworth) but am happy to travel around a bit for a dressmaker who fits my criteria (recommended and budgety).

Thanks, y'all. keep em coming!

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's where I live! Well, our flat slips into SW12, but we're still Wandsworth.

Have you tried the dressmaker shop near Clapham South station?

• jordas20
    jordas20 ·
    • Hide content

I've just recommended her in another thread - there is a very good and reasonably priced seamstress and designer called Ivana Kuranova who is based at Chalfont and Latimer (Metropolitan Line). She regularly works on wedding dresses - both new and alterations. Her number is ****. Hope this helps!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

The seamstress I used to alter my bridesmaids dress (and wish I had used to make it from the beginning) was JS Tailoring, they have a shop in Bushey Heath called Esmeraldas (North London/Hertfordshire, but not too far from Central London really, 17 minutes on the train from Euston). They did an amazing job on my bridesmaids dress. http://www.jstailoring.com/

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics