Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner September 2015

London Venues with a difference! Help!!!

Emilyjane5, 19 of February of 2014 at 14:17 Posted on Planning 0 20

Hi,

Is there anyone getting married in a less than traditional venue in London?

I found one near canary Wharf, which is an old light house. I fell in love with it straight away as I love the contrast of the industrial warehouse with the prettiness of a wedding day. The only problem is that it is working out a little bit too expensive. Its a 'dry hire' venue, so a lot of organising from myself would be needed, and on the day of the wedding we wouldn't be able to get into the venue until 10am. Which means I probably won't see what it would look like until I am walking down the isle!!!!!

It also ended up expensive because of the venue fee + caterers + decorators +security (grade 2 listed building so they have to be there apparently.)

So what I am trying to ask is does anyone know of any venues similar to Trinity Buoy Wharf? As every venue I look at now just isn't cutting it! Or is there anyone getting married there who can suggest how I can do it for a bit cheaper!

Thanks

20 replies

Latest activity by DJ Hire, 21 of February of 2014 at 11:33
  • mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

There's the amadeus centre which is dry hire, there's also a warehouse in East London/Shoreditch with bright low arches/tunnels which is pretty cool, or check out The Asylum which is STUNNING.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Have you had a look at the Village Underground? That's pretty cool: https://villageunderground.co.uk/

Pics: https://goo.gl/OGTmgB

• k.j.w
    Beginner June 2017
    k.j.w ·
    • Hide content

Have you looked on this website:

https://hirespace.com/Browse/Wedding-Reception-Venues-London

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

Have you looked at The Roost? It is AMAZING but sadly beyond our meagre budget.

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content

The Bluebird in Chelsea seemed quite nice, especially if you can hire out the main restaurant bit.

What about getting married on a boat on the Thames?

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

MC Motors is the place in Shoreditch, but mega trendy so likely to be pricey. If you wanted the look without the hassle have a look at Chads in Kings Cross http://www.6stchadsplace.com/

• MrsG_to_be
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsG_to_be ·
    • Hide content

Have a look at www.cocoweddingvenues.co.uk as they have some lovely places in London and categorise by style (vintage, rustic, elegant etc).

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That looks like a lovely venue. Would love to have a wedding there!

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

This place has been made into film sets including several art deco films. No idea of prices/details though https://www.townhallhotel.com/page-not-found

• E
    Beginner September 2015
    Emilyjane5 ·
    • Hide content

I looked at MC Motors - But the hire fee was ridiculous!! Lovely venue though!

• T
    Beginner May 2015
    trewsie ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I absolutely loved Trinity Buoy Wharf too but the price and the dry hire put me off too!

In the end we have picked Devonshire Terrace. It is owned by Corney and Barrow is just a bar/restaurant but Devonshire Square is exposed brick with high walls and a glass roof - hoping to get some amazing photos. Look on FB for Weddings at Devonshire Terrace - their website doesn't do it justice.

I would also recommend looking at Islington Metal Works which has the same kind of urban vibe.

Hope that helps.

• E
    Beginner September 2015
    Emilyjane5 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry thought I had replied!

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I have looked them all up and they all look amazing. The only problem is that they do tend to be dry hire venues.

We want somewhere were we can get married too.... I think I might be being too fussy here and might have to compromise.

The other problem is that my OH has a quite large family meaning our day guest list is around the 140 mark (it was at 130 but it seems to be rising and i am trying to get it back down to 130 - or even less!!!) I think if we found a venue for 120/130 he would cut it down.

Thanks for all your comments so far!

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

A lot of people with snazzy central London venues tend to do the civil ceremony at the nearest registry, the best places seem to lack the license. Good luck the hunt

• E
    Beginner September 2015
    Emilyjane5 ·
    • Hide content

Deveonshire terrace looks amazing!

How is it price wise?

Are you having your ceremony there too?

(Just can't believe there isn't anywhere else like Trinity!)

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Have you checked out either of these sites?

http://thisisfunky.com/funky-venues/

http://www.uniquevenuesoflondon.co.uk/search/results.html

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

SPAM SPAM SPAM!!!

Smiley winking

Just kidding.

• T
    Beginner May 2015
    trewsie ·
    • Hide content

Yep we are having the whole thing at Devonshire Terrace. £1000 hire fee for the venue and a further £500 to hold the ceremony too. There is then a minimum spend for food and drink but you will easily cover that with your numbers (we are and we have about 85 in the day). Nina who is the wedding co-ordinator there is very helpful.

It might also be worth looking up the Disappearing Dining Club. We you go on their website there is a Warehouse Wedding section. This would take the hassle out of a dry hire venue but not sure if that would cover some where with a wedding licence as well.

I was exactly the same after I saw Trinity Buoy Wharf and didn't think I would find anything as good but I am excited about Devonshire Terrace so keep the faith that you will find something!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

ha how did this not click.

Those venues wish they are as kool as me.

• NYCBride
    Beginner September 2014
    NYCBride ·
    • Hide content

I love, love , love the St Pancras Renaissance Hotel which was used in the Harry Potter Films. The building has been beautifully restored to its old glory.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

True story.

• DJ Hire
    DJ Hire ·
    • Hide content

We did the reception at Hackney City Farm, and that was a really nice venue, but they can't do the wedding.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics