Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

London wedding dress shopping!

12 of June of 2014 at 16:56 Posted on Planning 0 23

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, so hello!

sorry if anything similar has been posted before. We’ve almost pinned down a date for the wedding now, so next on my agenda is starting to think about the dress!

I live in London and want to go to a bridal shop with my bridesmaids to look at and try on some styles - however, I haven’t got the first clue where to look. Whenever I’ve googled it just mentions designer boutique wedding dress shops. Way out of my budget and I imagine very intimidating to go into!!

Has anyone been through the same? got any suggestions. I’m not after anywhere fancy at all - just somewhere with nice dresses where I won’t feel like they're looking at me as if I don’t belong!

Thanks ?

23 replies

Latest activity by Mrs-S-to-be, 23 of June of 2014 at 21:47
  • mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

How about checking out some of the high street options for wedding dresses? Alternatively you could go online and have a browse so at least when you go into a shop you have a few ideas about what you might want and you're less likely to get overwhelmed. It's hard to recommend specific shops or brands without knowing what kind of style you're after Smiley smile

• F
    Beginner December 2014
    Firri2014 ·
    • Hide content

Hi!

I'm new, too! I'm getting married this December, so I imagine my dress hunt will be a little more time-pressured than yours - but I'm going dress hunting in London soon! I'm trying David's Bridal (Westfield Stratford) and Mia Sposa (Hatton Gdn).

I don't know about price range and I don't think I'll belong (that Rodeo Drive scene from Pretty Woman springs to mind!)... I imagine there should be a variety in each shop (I hope!). I think they are quite big and busy, though (from online reviews) - so maybe quite intimidating. I'm hoping to get ideas, at least! Smiley smile

• lovelaurajane
    Beginner August 2015
    lovelaurajane ·
    • Hide content

We're going to Davids Bridal at Westfield - heard lots of good things Smiley smile

• emabee
    Beginner August 2014
    emabee ·
    • Hide content

I got my dress from David's Bridal at Westfield and they were amazing. We were treated like royalty and they aren't expensive. My dress was £300 ish including accessories x

• T
    Beginner May 2015
    trewsie ·
    • Hide content

Another recommendation for Davids Bridal in Stratford. Prices start from around £300 up to around 1k. The shop assistant I had was lovely and very helpful. It has a huge shared dressing room space but you have your own cubicle to get changed in. My BMs had a ball eyeing up other dresses people were trying on.

• M
    Beginner April 2015
    Mrs-S-to-be ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to David's Bridal on Monday - also been to Confetti and Lace at Lakeside (awful reviews about buying from there!), Berketex in Debenhams Oxford Street - but they also have a bigger range at their shop across the road (cheap). I'm booked in for a few others - Get n Hitched in Enfield, Forever Bridal in Barnet and Angelica Bridal in Islington - also London Bride (or something).

What I did was to go in with no budget so I could try on everything and not feel snubbed, and now I know what kind of dress I want, and am looking for the most reasonable place to buy it! Good luck xxx

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    SunnyOrangeConfetti79 ·
    • Hide content

How about a trip to Oxford Street to have a look in all the department stores?

• C
    Rockstar August 2013
    cherrybloom ·
    • Hide content

Hello,

I got married last year and went to a few. I ended up buying my dress from the big Confetti and lace sale loads of dresses and bargains.. thought I'd show off here's a flash of it (not me I should add), cheeky I know!! but here are some shops.

Sorry the pic is so big!

Options:

Pronovias Bond Street - obvious choice, however don't stock above a size 10 and if you go on a saturday I belive they charge £50 deposit

Davids Bridal - new but I've been in and has a great selection for both brides and bridesmaids

House of Fraser Oxford Circus - Not great customer service but central

Losners - Stamford Hill (north London) lovely too

Mia sposa - Wanstead good range inc sizes and great customer service

London Bride - Walworth road - not that many great options and customer service not great but the odd dress was lovely

Mia Sposa - Hatton gardens - good choice and customer service

Belle amore - Bexleyheath - good choice of dresses and good customer service

Mirror Mirror - Islington - I've not been but heard great reports

Angelica Bridal - Islington

Wedding dress factory outlet - Alot of choice and reasonable

They are just some I can think of and with varying budgets but its a start!! Happy shopping ?

• Pipsybus
    Beginner June 2015
    Pipsybus ·
    • Hide content

I'm quite new too and haven't started trying on dresses yet but I've made an appointment at davids bridal in Westfield. They couldn't have been nicer on the phone so I'm hoping that continues in the store. The appointments are for an hour and a half. I've booked one for me and then one for my bridesmaids straight after (3 hours of dresses - woo-hoo!!) I've been looking on their website at the dresses they stock and have already seen a few that I love but I was amazed at how reasonably priced they were.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I found London Bride near Elephant and Castle very helpful. I ended up buying from All That Glitters in Croydon (they have another store in Wimbledon if that's easier for you) and again they were helpful. They had bridesmaid dresses, can't remember if London Bride did - I got my BM dresses from Debenhams.

Wasn't massively impressed with either the range or the service at Confetti and Lace in Lakeside, nothing I could put my finger on, they just weren't as enthusiastic/flattering/interested as other places.

• cosmictrout
    Beginner August 2014
    cosmictrout ·
    • Hide content

I can recommend Mirror Mirror and also Angelica Bridal in Islington - absolutely lovely staff, not snooty at all, and a great range of beautiful dresses.

I didn't buy from either in the end as I found my dream dress in a shop near my parents' place in Berkshire, but I really enjoyed the trying on experience at both and thought the customer service was great.

Mirror Mirror also has an bridal accessories store next door as well, which has some lovely things.

x

• PinkButterfly
    Beginner June 2014
    PinkButterfly ·
    • Hide content

I second Mia sposa hatton garden! They are amazing I got my dress there?

• VegasBride14
    Beginner October 2014
    VegasBride14 ·
    • Hide content

I've bought my dress from Davids bridal. They were extremely helpful UNTIL I made the purchase and then they couldn't care less. When I went to pick up my dress it was literally thrown at me and I was shoved into a changing room by myself to try it on without any assistance. I really regret getting my dress from there now as the aftercare is shocking.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

No personal experience but we went to visit a florist in Chiltern St W1 and could not help but notice there were about 6 bridal boutiques on that road.

If you google 'wedding dress shops Chiltern st' it will list the different boutiques,

• Laura Ellen Photography
    Beginner May 2014
    Laura Ellen Photography ·
    • Hide content

Teokath in Wimbledon is supposed to be fab. But I'd recommend looking a little further away if you can. I'm Sussex-based and got my dress from Berkshire.

• cosmictrout
    Beginner August 2014
    cosmictrout ·
    • Hide content

Stop press! Angelica Bridal (Islington) are on Don't Tell The Bride on BBC3 *right now* ...!

• smilesjp
    Beginner July 2015
    smilesjp ·
    • Hide content

Somewhere like the Wedding Dress Factory Outlet would be perfect, especially as you're in London, and you're not looking to splurge. I think all their dresses are under £500, and they have some really lovely dresses too.

• B
    Beginner August 2014
    butunlikely ·
    • Hide content

H

• B
    Beginner August 2014
    butunlikely ·
    • Hide content

Hi there,

Teokath in Wimbledon have a boutique on the high street (in town, not in the village) but they also have a sample shop in the local department store, Elys. The dresses are seriously marked down, the service was fantastic and the shop is really spacious and nice. I ended up ordering my dress new because the sample was quite wrecked (do be aware this can be the case with samples), but it would have been a whopping 65% off if I'd bought the sample. They also stock Allure gowns new which are not too pricey but nice if you like very 'weddingy' dresses. The samples are for the most part a size 12. I also bought some accessories in the main boutique and they were lovely.

Would highly recommend Teokath - Wimbledon is also lovely for a nice day out.

• M
    Beginner April 2015
    Mrs-S-to-be ·
    • Hide content

As an update, I went to London Designer Bridal Room today in Fitzrovia. Everything in there is on sale and the lady said they'd be doing alterations until August so we think they may be closing - don't quote me though, I'm just assuming. They have massive prices off with 3.5k Caroline Castiglianos at £1500 etc - and I was umming and ahhing about one dress and she offered me an extra £100 off and a half price tiara (admittedly from £600 to £300).

Still expensive but I tried on some absolute stunners for under £1k, and if my suspicions are right then she'll definitely accept lower offers.

Not going to go for it because I've found my dream dress elsewhere and only went elsewhere to make sure - but thought it may be useful for some of you!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics