Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jumbly Girl
Beginner May 2010

Londoners - fitness question!

Jumbly Girl, 21 of October of 2009 at 12:29 Posted on Planning 0 21

Calling fellow Londoner brides,

In attempt to get in shape ahead of our wedding, I finally bitten the bullet and decided to start doing some exercise. Can anyone suggest any walk-in/pay-per-class aerobics sessions on week nights in Central or Northest London? I can't afford the exorbitant fees that London's gyms charge and I work quite erratic hours so can't commit to attending a course. I really need to tone up but cheaply!

Any help would be fabulous. Thanks!

21 replies

Latest activity by Smithzane, 8 of February of 2022 at 09:49
  • ooh la la
    Beginner August 2013
    ooh la la ·
    • Hide content

What about this ..... https://www.bemilitaryfit.com/

• Jumbly Girl
    Beginner May 2010
    Jumbly Girl ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks ooh la la - but that looks way scary! I know it says that they cater for all abilities, but it reminds me of humiliating PE lessons at school. I'll pass it onto my OH though - that sounds right up his street (the crazy boy).

Any more for any more?

• 22tango
    Beginner April 2010
    22tango ·
    • Hide content

Haha, I used to see them on Clapham common on a Saturday morning - poor souls! too much for me.

• J
    Beginner November 2009
    Jill&Rusty ·
    • Hide content

The bootcamp style is a bit full on but they work - and apparently are really good fun. I have a personal trainer once a week and he runs one in Colchester. He has nearly 30 women a night turn up (he does women only ones) and they all have a laugh - even though he has them running around in a netball bib picking up tyres and throwing medicine balls at each other, but he has a guarantee of dropping a dress size in 6 weeks or something like that. I'd probably go if I got home in time (as well as the thought of running around in a netball bib again ?) Do you have anyone you could go with. I think its always easier to do these things with a friend. Go for it!

• sallylilly
    sallylilly ·
    • Hide content

Why not eat less, and eat only vegetables with less fat? I believe it is more useful than exercising. of course, if it goes with exercising, it will have better effect.

• 22tango
    Beginner April 2010
    22tango ·
    • Hide content

Sally I completely disagree. most people do are a lot less active then they naturally should be (number one here) and from past experience, nothing takes the weight off more than exercise. besides, is quite hard to get all your nutrients eating just veggies, you have to know what you're doing and how to make sure you get all your Vitamins etc. Personally I'd rather enjoy my food and work it off.

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Totally agree with this. Sally, I'm afraid nothing can beat regular exercise and a healthy balanced diet for weight loss and general well-being.

• Jumbly Girl
    Beginner May 2010
    Jumbly Girl ·
    • Hide content

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the messages, ladies.

Unfortunately, I just want to tone up a bit (not lose weight or my dress alterations will cost even more of a bomb than they already do) - so dieting is not an option! I'll have another look around and see what I can find! I don't think I can rope any of my friends in (they're even more sedentary than me...).

• M
    Beginner June 2010
    MJS84 ·
    • Hide content

Wii fit! Thats what i'm doing the hula hooping is great for the tums and bums! x

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

Ok Jumbly Girl - if you want to tone up then what you have to do is weights, weights, weights!!!!! Either going to a gym to do a routine, in the house or maybe to a Body Pump class which you'll probably be able to find at any good gym nearby.

All girls should do weights - best thing in the world for ya ?

• ooh la la
    Beginner August 2013
    ooh la la ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yup, yup.....

.....................having said that - of anyone can motivate me to exercise, (goal is dropping 2 dress sizes) then I'll give you a big sloppy kiss!

ETA - forgot to quote!

• sallylilly
    sallylilly ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I always eating less and eating vegetables is the best way of losing weight, and of course keeping fit. If it cannot make the effect, why so many people become vegetarians? And we get all the vitamins we need in vegetable. What you two girls said makes me belive that you two are meat-lovers. Like KFC? I do believe those junk food can make people suffering obsity, causing diseases and making people unhealthy.

Monks never eat meat, but many of them do live a long life. so Eating only vegetables do no harm to our health.

If you dislike the taste of vegetables, you can try CHINESE FOOD 'cause the Chinese chiefs do have the talent to make vegetables taste just like meat. It is really good for the meat lovers.

Eating a bit less is healthy. According to some scientists, there really exists a relation between the amount of food we eat and our longevity. Eat a bit less and live longer.

Excises is also needed in losing weight, which I have mentioned days before. I believe you have the same idea.

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

Sally I have to say that I find your post v strange.

Just wanted to point out that it is proven that you cannot get all of the essential minerals you need through eating vegetables alone. A balanced diet is the only way to get these through food alone - supplements will help if you are missing some of your essential food groups.

From what I can work out you do agree that exercise is key in weightloss which is good

And BTW - I am not a 'meat lover' as you put it. Yes I eat meat but I also eat loads of veg and fruit and exercise most days of the week.

• 22tango
    Beginner April 2010
    22tango ·
    • Hide content

Gillsy we all know you've got a secret stash of happy meal toys - come on now, don't deny it, we're all friends here.

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

Ok Tango - you've forced me to admit it, now every body knows my secret!!!!

• 22tango
    Beginner April 2010
    22tango ·
    • Hide content

Thats you meat lover ! lol.....

my bouquet is going to be made of chicken skewers, I've decided now. just not sure how to incorporate brown into my colour scheme - but at least itdoubles up as my scent so no need to worry about that anymore. that's 2 things ticked off the list.

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

Awww Tango!!!! Your day sounds so perfect!!!!

• Maxibon
    Beginner March 2009
    Maxibon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ooh me too! I'm in west london so if you find somewhere gimme a shout - swimming is meant to be really good at toning everything up but I'm new to the area and havent found anywhere (read - havent looked as im lazy!!)

motivation is what im lacking!!

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content

OP - have you looked at local community centre gyms - they don't normally have commitments, or may just have monthly charges which are cheap enough that it's not the end of the world if you don't go every night. Or swimming tones you quite a bit? Or, as someone else said, buy some dumbells and you'll have super sexy arms!

• Jumbly Girl
    Beginner May 2010
    Jumbly Girl ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Loving this idea! I may need to steal it for my own.... LOL!

• S
    Beginner June 2022 Norfolk
    Smithzane ·
    • Hide content

Are you gym lover? here i'm going to share about my experience. I'm also gym addicted but i don't have good vibes around me. Then i buy Neon LED and i placed it in my room. It give me so much good vibe and i loved to workout with that brightness.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics