Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner September 2012

Long lasting foundation for wedding day

kate246, 25 of February of 2012 at 08:38 Posted on Planning 0 30

Hi

I am after some advice...

I am looking into buying some new make uo for my wedding day but I am after some recommendations on foundations efore I go and spend my money. I really want a flawless foundation that is going to last the whole day, through to the evening. I am not too bothered about the cost as long as it good!

Any hints, tips and advice on make up would be much appreciated!!

Thank you

30 replies

Latest activity by onetwothree, 3 of August of 2012 at 22:05
  • T
    Beginner August 2012
    tinkissarah ·
    • Hide content

I follow Arabella Prestons blog. She's the lady who gave Kate Middleton make up lessons for when she did her own make up for her wedding. She has reviewed a high street foundation I'm going to try.

It's called MyMix and is by MyFace cosmetics. You can buy it in large boots stores. She doesn't blog very often but she gives good tips. Here's her blog - http://alineonbeauty.blogspot.com/

• T
    Beginner September 2012
    TWGal ·
    • Hide content

Bare Minerals. Without a shadow of a doubt the best coverage I've ever had plus it's the only foundation I've ever used that doesn't make my skin mega shiny or run down my face! Make use you use it with the mineral veil as that's the secret to long lasting. Most department stores sell it n could give you a demo. It's really simple to apply too. X

• 50's pin up bride
    Beginner July 2012
    50's pin up bride ·
    • Hide content

It depends so much on your skin as well! I have oily combination skin, and I also wanted to do my own wedding make up. I went for 8 (!) make up trials with different companies - for each one, I made a morning apppointment and then didn't touch it til late at night to see how it would last. I tried Clinique, Lancome, Bare Minerals, Benefit, Bobbi Brown, Estee Lauder, Laura Mercier and MAC. I went for MAC in the end - I really liked the look of the Bare Minerals, but even with the oil-control primer, my face suddenly went really oily after about 5 hours.

• K
    Beginner February 2014
    kyla25 ·
    • Hide content

Buy a make up primer to put on before ure foundation, if you buy powder minerals u can top it up during the day alot easier than foundation (its covers like a foundation tho, best invention ever) also a eye make up primer to keep that in place......this is what I use http://www.boots.com/en/LOreal-Paris-Studio-Secrets-Smoothing-Resurfacing-Primer_947702/ xxx

• Going2theChapel
    Beginner March 2013
    Going2theChapel ·
    • Hide content

Ill be going with MAC, i love their makeup and it really does last on me well.

I think you can get a look yourself that will last all day, without having to have a professional in. I am way to fussy with my make-up and any time I have had my make-up done by someone else I feel like a clown. Researching online and asking at the make-up counters can offer some really useful advice and finding the right coverage for you is prime priority.

• L
    Beginner August 2012
    Larkie08 ·
    • Hide content

Another vote for MAC here...I use the Pro longwear foundation and it gives a really nice coverage that lasts me all day.

Hope that helps xx

• tizmelou
    Beginner September 2012
    tizmelou ·
    • Hide content

I'm just bought my mix from Amazon, let you know how I find it!

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

Exactly what Sange said.

My (MAC) make up lasted all day and I bought all the same products but they never left all day when I apply them myself. They're still really good products, but never going to be as good as when a pro applies them.

Also, they use so many different products, if you were to buy it all to do yourself it would cost a fortune and you might aswell pay for the pro. You need a bit more than foundation and blusher for your wedding day.

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

I think a make up artist is worth their weight in gold but if you want to do it yourself I've tried Clinque, No 7, Lancome, MAC, Benefit and nearly all of the other brands in boots and last year I went to Estee Lauder and it's just amazing stuff. MAC was disgusting along with Benefit. I used Clinique for years but it never lasted but now I'll only use Estee Lauder. The Double Wear stuff lasts and lasts, doesn't run down my face even on oily days and the colour matches my face great. At first I thought it was too drying but once I chance my skin routine from Clinique to Estee it was sorted.

The other stuff I swear by is Advanced Night Repair which sorts out any oilyness or dry patches and Even Skintone Illuminator and I now no longer have horrible blotchy cheeks.

The good thing about Estee is that you can go in for a make over and they will give you samples of foundation that lasts 10 days (well they say it lasts 10 days but the sample bottle lasted me weeks). They don't put pressure on you to buy it and even once you do if you don't like it in real life you can take it back and get a full refund, no questions asked!

• Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB)
    Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB) ·
    • Hide content

I can highly recommend Dior Forever Foundation. It's amazingly natural on the skin but can be layered for more coverage. It's sweat and waterproof and very very long-lasting as the name Forever suggests. It's a really great alternative to Estes Lauder Doublewear which ghosts out on camera. Juliet x

• T
    Beginner December 2011
    tallgal ·
    • Hide content

I took Juliet's advice and had no regrets. I never wear foundation and didn't even feel like I was!

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Hey, i used to struggle with foundations lasting for more than a few hours at work then my mum bought me a clarins starter kit a while ago and their beauty flash balm really helps even out my skin and makes my foundation last longer. also just started trying No7 Beautiful Skin Blemish balm which is working quite nice although when i go out i do put more foundation plus powder on top...a lot of make up i know...but it lasts me a good night out!

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

I've decided to bite the bullet and get it professionally done. I was concerned about price, but if that's not an issue for you, I'd definitely go for it. For me, I felt that because I am going to be wearing such a lovely and expensive dress I might as well have lovely hair and make up too. I don't want to let the look down by having everyday hair and make up.

• Annah304
    Beginner April 2011
    Annah304 ·
    • Hide content

I used Estee Lauder's Doublewear Light foundation (as I have oily/combination skin) and it was brilliant, lasted all day. I used their primer underneath it too (the mattifying one I think) which really helped keep everything 'stuck on'! I used the primer on my eyelids too and it helped the eyeshadow stay put as well.

Everything of mine was Estee Lauder pretty much (apart from lipstick - good old Maybelline!) and it cost around £150 all in, but I am still using it now and will get tons more use out of it.

• Hide content

Tallgirl - that's really great to hear! Juliet x

• honeybee9
    Beginner May 2012
    honeybee9 ·
    • Hide content

I've had such a nightmare finding foundation. Mac was fab for colour but i had loads of spots appear after an hour or so. I've ended up with Illamaqua which is fab and doesn't cause ghosting which is another problem i was finding.

• Macca87
    Beginner August 2012
    Macca87 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I

Is this the Powder one? The compact refill? I might give it a go!

• Hide content

No it's the liquid Foundation http://www.dior.com/beauty/gbr/en/make_up_and_cosmetics_by_christian_dior_lipstick_m/face/foundations/fluid-foundation/y0779000/py0779000-cfoundation.html Juliet x

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

I really wouls advise getting it done professionally. I had airbase (airbrush spray on make up) for my wedding and it was the best decision ever. Stayed put through hugging, crying, getting hot and kissing. One big thing I didn't have to worry about all day.

• born2fly
    Dedicated January 2012
    born2fly ·
    • Hide content

Bare minerals! as cabin crew i can work 20 hour days and my make up has to be spotless! it lasts all flight and the only thing i have to top up when i go for a cheeky drink when weve landed is my lippy!! ive tried all the best brands claiming to last 24+ hours and this is the only one that works!!!!!

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

If you can't afford to have a make up artist in then I highly recommend Estee Lauder Double Wear, put a primer on first and this will last you the entire day, touch up on the evening with a bit more blush but you won't need to touch your foundation. Go to any Debenhams or HoF and they will happily give you a few samples to try.

• Hide content

I really wouldn't recommend Estee Lauder Doublewear is it can ghost out on camera - it's the titanium dioxide in it that bounces back camera flash. Like i said previously Dior Forever is a great alternative to Doublewear that's long-lasting and beautiful on camera. Juliet x

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well I used it, and it looked fine. I was very pleased with my pictures.

• Hide content

That's really good to hear. Most probably your photographer didn't use much flash or if he did bounced it off the wall or ceiling and not off your face. When togs do this that's when doubleqear ghosts out. Juliet x

• 50's pin up bride
    Beginner July 2012
    50's pin up bride ·
    • Hide content

Totally agree with Juliet, Estee Lauder used doublewear on me on my trial with them, and as with all my trials, I got people to take pics of me afterwards and I looked AWFUL - totally white and I am quite dark skinned. It was a shame, because in the mirror it looked lovely, really flawless.

When I had trials with other brands, I told them I was having other trials and who with - several consultants recommended other brands and specific foundations to try, but all also specifically said avoid DW for weddings due to photography and flashes, even though in the flesh it is lovely.

I've got the pro longwear from MAC.

• K
    Beginner September 2012
    kate246 ·
    • Hide content

ThAnk you for all the replies, think I'm going to go for either the Dior or Estes Lauder. I'm off to the make up counter in 2 weeks and have prepared to spend lot of money!! Does anyone have any more advice on other pieces of make up which lasted all day, mascara?? Eyeshadow?? Blusher?? An lipstick/gloss??

Look forward to reading your advice, thanks kate

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

I am a big fan of the Bare Minerals stuff, but heard that can make you look pale on camera. Any truth in that?

• O
    Beginner January 2011
    onetwothree ·
    • Hide content

Given the concerns about how make up looks in some photos, what do people think of the new touché éclat foundation? I've never used their highlighter but some people who swear by it warn that it can look very white in photos. I wouldn't want my whole face to look like that but the new foundation has had some rave reviews....

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics