Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Gillsy
Beginner April 2010

Long or Short Bridesmaid Dresses - opinions???

Gillsy, 6 of March of 2009 at 14:07 Posted on Planning 0 27

I'm a bit undecided, at first I was thinking long bridesmaid dresses cos that seems to be more traditional but now I'm thinking that the tea-length dresses look lovely plus quite modern (and also the girls might have a better chance of getting to wear them again).

My only concern with short dresses is that maybe guests won't actually be able to identify the bridesmaids easily as they don't have the traditional long dress on but with a nice hair comb/tiara I'm sure that won't be an issue.

Just interested in peoples opinions.......

Open for discussion - which do you prefer?? Long or short???

27 replies

Latest activity by TreacleTart, 3 of May of 2015 at 19:13
  • shoegal01
    Beginner October 2010
    shoegal01 ·
    • Hide content

Much perfer short, not only then they can wear again but i think they look nicer.

If the BM's are wearing the same then the guests will be able to distinguish

• lauralil
    Beginner September 2010
    lauralil ·
    • Hide content

Depends on the age/size and bridesmaids style I guess. And also height is maybe a consideration?

My CBM is confident, beautiful and young...so she'll be wearing a shorter dress because she's paying for her own and wants something to wear afterwards again. So she's having a nice, black prom style dress with a sash around in our colour. She will be on the top table, with matching flowers and some kind of head piece to make her stand out.

My flowergirl (my daughter) will be having a longer bridesmaids dress (because thats what princesses wear she says! haha)

So yes depends on a few factors but I do LOVE the shorter ones, especially in summer. In winter I'd probably go for longer ones

• Bridget Gump
    Bridget Gump ·
    • Hide content

I'm not dictating to my BMs what they should/shouldn't wear, but personally prefer the shorter ones. A wedding we were at last year had long ones, and come the night they were all tying them up with hair bands to dance in as it was too hot and awkward for them.

So long as they are wearing the same, or evenjust the same colour, people will be able to identify them. And don't forget, they'll get to see them walking down the aisle too!

• Laura_Lee
    Beginner
    Laura_Lee ·
    • Hide content

My BMs are having short dresses - I prefer them (and as you say they can probably wear them again). BMs were saying that there is a chance that a guest can arrive in a similar dress but I don't think that matters.

They will be the ones walking up the aisle behind you, carrying flowers and sitting at the top table so fairly obvious who they are!

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

I must admit I do like seeing BM's in proper long dresses*, it makes the wedding feel a bit more glamourous and although they might not be able to wear it again (they can always get it cut short) it'll look fab in the photo's with all the girls inc. the bride wearing long dresses. But it isn't every day you get to wear a proper 'gown'.

*however my BM is wearing short because it's a beach wedding and as I'm not having a long dress it reflects quite nicely.

ETS: from a guests perspective, it's not often that I would look to buy a dress that looks Bridesmaid-y, and it's usually obvious who's who from the start. I wouldn't even be thinking about worrying on that!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

I really like the 50's style with the net underskirts which seem very popular at the moment.

• CountDuckula
    Beginner August 2009
    CountDuckula ·
    • Hide content

I much prefer knee length ones. I think long bridesmaids dresses tend to look a bit dated and old fashioned. I was quite happy for my bridesmaids to pick the style of the dress themselves but I did say I'd prefer knee length ones and thankfully they agreed.

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'd seriously die for this dress!!

I was so excited when I saw the movie on sunday!

• lyni
    Beginner October 2008
    lyni ·
    • Hide content

Short dresses for adult BMs, long for little flowergirls.

• bluewater
    Beginner August 2009
    bluewater ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

my mum has pointed this out as to what she wants her outfit to be like.... she is SERIOUSLY thinking of going to candy anthony to get something like this made!

to answer the original question - i prefer long dresses, they are more bridesmaidy. but i also love shorter dresses as they are cute. are your BMs holding flowers? will this not mark them out as being your BM's?

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

Yes, my bridesmaids will be holding flowers - think I'm just worrying for worryings sake!!!!! The more I think about it I def think the shorter dresses are more modern and 'fresh' looking. I'm having a spring wedding so I think it will fit in nicely with that. I'll obviously discuss everything with the girls and made the decision together though.
  • chids
    Beginner
    chids ·
    • Hide content

It depends really on a number of things, height of BMs, dress size of BMs, whether or not they're confident, age, time of year of the wedding.

My bridesmaids didn't want to wear short dresses although i like them. They all wanted their legs hidden as they weren't confident about them. Also i was getting married in church and i think that they felt more covered up if they wore longer dresses.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WOW! I have a Bride whose booked her flowers with me who is wearing a very similar style in ivory with a cadbury purple underskirt - it looks wonderful, really gorgeous.

• debs1701
    Beginner
    debs1701 ·
    • Hide content

I like the long dresses and 2 peice.

My CBM did want to go for the short "ballerina" style but when she tried one one she completely went off them...the fact that she was wearing Winnie the Pooh socks and hadn't shaved her legs didn't really help either ?

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

I initially wanted a tea length dress for my bm but a few bridal shops commented on the fact my one and only bm would look like a guest because there weren't others in the same dress.

Anyway I went off them as I just don't think they are bridesmaidy enough but it does all depend on age and number of bm's. I love love love Futuremrslord's dresses because they are very funky and will not be mistaken as a guests at all.

It's not I don't like them but just prefer long dresses.

• diamondsragirlsbestfriend!
    Beginner May 2008
    diamondsragirlsbestfriend! ·
    • Hide content

I initially thought I preferred long BM dresses, but after seeing lots of peoples wedding pics on here last summer I have totally change my mind and prefer the knee length dresses and this is what my BM will be wearing.

• Laura_Lee
    Beginner
    Laura_Lee ·
    • Hide content

Just wanted to say that I might have thought about long dresses if we were having a church service but we are only having a civil service in the reception venue and therefore I think the whole wedding is slightly more relaxed style and tea length suit that better.

Agree with PG that if only one BM in a short dress might be less 'bridesmaid-y'

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We are having a civil ceremony in the Hotel so not as formal as a Church so the tea-length will be fine.

Went to a Bridal shop yesterday to have a look at the BM dresses and although the woman was lovely I think she was trying to put me off the shorter dresses. She said if you are thinking about shorter dresses you have to consider.....:

• Your BM's need to be around the same height or the hem of the dress will be at different levels and look untidy
    • BM's must be around the same dress size or it can look untidy as well
    • They must be wearing the same shoes as this is very important so that they match
    • It is better to order from a Bridal shop so that your guests don't turn up with the same dresses
    • Take their flowers, hair piece away and they will just look like a guest

Hasn't really put me off the shorter dresses though cos they were all things I'd thought about anyway. She didn't say anything negative about the long dresses!!!!

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Gillsy, can i slap that woman who said that??

That really is the most daftest thing I've heard because who on earth have friends who all look the same; in height, width....its madness!!! Silly woman.

Usually the girls who are flapping about the Bride and doing BM duties is the Bridesmaid and guess what lady, their flowers and hair pieces are usually gone at some point and they are STILL the BM!! Was she an old spinster by any chance???? LOLOL....

For what its worth, I have my cbm in a full length satin dress and my other two bms in matching prom dresses.....so, nannananannnnerrrrr. haha Smiley smile))

x

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sadly, she wasn't an old spinster and you would love to hate her but she was actually really really nice - just had a thing about the short dresses I guess!!!!!

You've got the best of both worlds with the full and short length on the day - perfect!!!

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

We are going for tea length dresses, although h2b wanted long ones.

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

LOLOL Zippy, maybe your H2B didnt want to show off his legs!???

• AliLindsey
    Beginner November 2009
    AliLindsey ·
    • Hide content

I think it depends on the girls who are bridesmaids. Some girls just don't suit short - while others don't suit long. I think it depends on whether they like their legs or not!!

Fence? Sitting?

• Juicymelons
    Beginner May 2010
    Juicymelons ·
    • Hide content

My two older BM's are both forty something and neither would be happy in a prom dress so they are having long, however my other bridesmaid will be 14 and she will be wearing a prom dress but in the same material and colour as the oldies, also a similar styled dress so best of both worlds really and everyone is happy.

• S
    steward87 ·
    • Hide content

Bridesmaid Dresses? I happen to like the traditional look of the long ones and have never been much of a fan of the short ones.

• Fairytales19
    Beginner September 2015
    Fairytales19 ·
    • Hide content

I love both!

In the end I went for long as it's more traditional x

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I like both, but depends on how the BM's feel, how formal the wedding is etc. I initially looked at tea length, but my MOH said he hated her legs & feet on display, & would prefer full length- so we went with that. If you go full length, make sure they practice walking in them & make sure they arent too long that they trip over them or get heels caught in the hem.

Everyone will know they are the BM's, I wouldnt worry about that.

• TreacleTart
    Beginner May 2015
    TreacleTart ·
    • Hide content

2009 post guys, don't think the OP minds by now!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics