Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner August 2013

LOST VILLAGE OF DODE

Marchar7469, 31 of January of 2013 at 23:36 Posted on Planning 0 14

LOST VILLAGE OF DODE ........ , We are holding our civil ceremony at Dode in August and would really like to hear from any couples who have experienced their day here with Doug and Mary ?? We are very excited ....! We have visited Dode on two occassions and already love its beauty and simplicity , but would appreciate chatting to couples who have married at Dode or who are planning to getting married at Dode this year !! Thanks Martine X

14 replies

Latest activity by carbynel, 30 of October of 2013 at 19:08
  • K
    karina@dragonfly-dresses.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

I didn't but I am soooooo jealous as that's where I wanted to renew our vows but they don't open in october so I couldn't. Have a wonderful day xxxxx

• M
    Beginner August 2013
    Marchar7469 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Karina , thanks for your response .

Sorry about you renewal situation my friend.

MXCX ?

• skinnyboyweddings
    skinnyboyweddings ·
    • Hide content

Hi Martine

My Sister got married here a few years ago and it really is the most beautiful venue, very intimate and romantic.
    They had some lovely photos taken on the lawn outside the church.

Please free to ask any questions or if you need any recommendations.

Steve

****@**************.***

• carbynel
    Beginner August 2014
    carbynel ·
    • Hide content

Are you having both the ceremony and reception here?

We are having both in September next year... Interested to hear what you are doing for the reception and how you are entertaining guests during the 'change over'.

• K
    Beginner September 2013
    KentNYC ·
    • Hide content

Hello all

We are also getting married there in September this year and would love suggestions.

Namely around what to do during the two hour turn-around and what to do for evening entertainment.

Any suggestions / tips would be welcome.

Thanks

• carbynel
    Beginner August 2014
    carbynel ·
    • Hide content

I think some people go to the nearby pub in the change over. We are going to have champagnes and canapés outside if the weather holds up, and then go inside afterwards for the main reception. If the weather is bad we may need to go to the pub but I'm not too keen on ferrying everyone there and back. It seems a bit disjointed.

• Snyffa
    Beginner October 2013
    Snyffa ·
    • Hide content

OMG! Its beautiful. Wow!

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

I've googled it, it's such a surreal place!! And great name, sounds mystical lol

• M
    Beginner August 2013
    Marchar7469 ·
    • Hide content

Yes we are having both ceremony and reception at Dode in August ,We too are trying to avoid the trip back down the pub and are of course praying for glorious sunshine .

I believe the turnaround time between ceremony and reception will be about 1.5/2 hours We will be having Champagne and canapies outside with a string duo , We will also be having a handfasting ceremony Doug claims these are usually really enjoyable as everyone is more relaxed after official ceremony so were currently looking at our vows for that , Also a great time filler .....

Were hoping this with photography and a close up hand magician will fill 2 hours nicely ....Of course all dependant on the weather !!!

Otherwise we are desperately excited and cannot wait ..

Good luck with your plans everyonexxx

• K
    Beginner September 2013
    KentNYC ·
    • Hide content

Great replies.

What are people doing (or have done) for the evening/after reception entertainment? Not sure the venue really lends itself to a DJ/dancing set up.

• M
    Beginner August 2013
    Marchar7469 ·
    • Hide content

Were having acoustic guitarist a young lad who plays a mixture stuff to appeal to all age groups .

We thought this might be nice but not to intrusive in such a small venue .

Lets hope were right !

• carbynel
    Beginner August 2014
    carbynel ·
    • Hide content

Hi Steve and others,

What were the toilet facilities like? In my enthusiasm to book, I forgot to check these out and now I'm panicking about practicalities! Please tell me it's better than a hole in the ground and was okay for brides in wedding gowns and fussy guests?

• M
    Beginner August 2013
    Marchar7469 ·
    • Hide content

Hi it is a chemical loo under the balcony at the back of the church ,maybe not ideal but all very clean an functional ,.

Weve hired one of the cottages on site so will probably let the ladies use the loo in that and leave the men to 'pee in the porta loo'.

Will let you know how we get on 2 weeks and 6 days n counting.

• carbynel
    Beginner August 2014
    carbynel ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the reply Martine, you've made me feel better about it! I don't think our budget will stretch to hiring out one of the cottages but hopefully the chemical loo will be okay for everyone. I will see if I can arrange with them for a second viewing! It was all booked very quickly! Best of luck with your wedding - not long at all now! I hope you will write a report and post some flashes?! I'm very excited to see your wedding at Dode!! xx

• carbynel
    Beginner August 2014
    carbynel ·
    • Hide content

Hi All,

For those of you interested I've just heard the Lost Village of Dode features in Don't tell the Bride this week. Apparently it's not the venue they choose, but the venue the Bride wants... I haven't watched it myself yet, but will be later on tonight on iPlayer!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics