Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Nenas
Beginner March 2012

Lottery ticket favours

Nenas, 12 of October of 2011 at 20:13 Posted on Planning 0 22

We're planning to get lottery tickets for everyone's favours. We had these at one of our friend's weddings last year and liked the idea. we didn't win anything but it was fun none the less!

Anyway, does anyone know how far in advance you can buy tickets? I know you can Direct Debit a whole bunch for yourself, but we want to go into a shop somewhere and buy 70 odd lucky dips (or 7 tickets from 10 shops..!), far enough in advance that we can tie them all up and get them all sorted etc.

Anyone done this or planning to?

22 replies

Latest activity by Alex, 23 of September of 2024 at 08:18
  • C
    Beginner July 2012
    Chippers ·
    • Hide content

We're doing this but using scratch cards instead of lottery tickets, I just want to see if we get any winners on then night !!

Mrs Chippers to be, thinks I'm out of order, but I am buying one 'fake' scratch card, which is a winner of £50,000 and am going to give that to someone ! We'll have a normal one as well for them, but I just want to have one 'winner' for sure !!!!

Think what we said we will do is going and buy x amount at a time or something like that, as we need 110.

Are you just putting them in normal small envelopes or have you another idea of how you are going to give them ?

• MissTtoMrsB
    Beginner August 2012
    MissTtoMrsB ·
    • Hide content

We are doing scratch cards too. Is there a time limit on claiming any winnings on them do you know?

• C
    Beginner July 2012
    Chippers ·
    • Hide content

Missykx -

Any prizes have to be claimed within 180 days of the game ending.

So, as long as they still sell them you wont have to worry.

I'd perhaps buy the ones that you see all of time so you know its an ongoing game, however, around valentines day, they normally bring out 'love' ones, decorated with hearts and the like, so you might want to get them to be a bit 'wedding themed' !?!?

Also, maybe I am thinking about this to much but hey ho, the ones with the lower jackpot prize tend to have more chances of winning, some say one in three cards is a winner ! - So I'd be tempted to buy them, might get a few more winners, allbeit lower amounts !!!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm not sure I'd thank you for this to be honest.

• C
    Beginner July 2012
    Chippers ·
    • Hide content

Kharv - from our guest list, there is not person who would take offence at something like this, so we'll be safe in the knowledge that it'll go down just as its intended, a bit of lighthearted fun !

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Fair enough - you know your guests!

• MissTtoMrsB
    Beginner August 2012
    MissTtoMrsB ·
    • Hide content

That was my plan to get some valentines ones.. but the wedding is 26th august! Do you think that would be too late? Maybe better off sticker with everyday ones and getting them a couple of weeks before.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I think, if you do it online it's 8 weeks. You'll have to go into a shop to ask how far in advance you can buy them there.

Unless you bought lottery tickets for, say, this week and then gave them out on the day.

• C
    Beginner July 2012
    Chippers ·
    • Hide content

You'll be fine with the valentines ones, they sell them throughout Feb and probably into March, so if you think they wont announce the end of the game for a while after they have sold them all, and then you have 180 days after that, it'll take you well past your wedding date and if people win, I bet they claim the prize the next day !!!

• Nenas
    Beginner March 2012
    Nenas ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We had decided against scratch cards and were just going to go with the normal pink tickets! We were going to do the same as our friends wedding which was to roll them up quite tightly (I think they did it around a pencil) and then tie them with a ribbon.

However, I think you can buy lottery ticket holders, which are just folded cards with slots in the back, so that would probably work well for the scratch cards as well, but it depends how much you want to spend on top of the actual scratch card.

Has anyone else used actual tickets who can advise on how far in advance you can buy them?

• Nenas
    Beginner March 2012
    Nenas ·
    • Hide content

Alice, sorry I completely missed your post!

I'm going to head into town at the weekend and find a shop to ask, but thought I'd try to avoid the embarrasment by asking on here first. Although I'm not sure that rocking up at a shop and asking for 70+ tickets is any less embarrasing!

• C
    Beginner July 2012
    Chippers ·
    • Hide content

Chocolate - do you have a local shop you get your weekend papers from or such like ?

Maybe could just mention it to them thats what you want, and you'd like to collect them on x date, and they could do them as they get quiet bits in that week and you pick them up at your pre arranged time and date ?

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is a good idea. I know my local shop keeper would be happy to help. I'm not sure if they make money from selling the tickets, if they do, they will be happy for the business.

As for the fake ticket, I think that's a bit of a cruel joke, hopefully your guests will take it as well as you hope!

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

Great idea. I've seen it done a number of times and it always goes down well. If you buy the tickets for that night, arrange with the DJ to get the results from the hotel receptionist and read them out.....thats always fun!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'd be a bit miffed thinking I'd won £50k only then to be told it was a hoax! I hope they don't make it to the bar to buy a round for all of your guests before you tell them unless you're prepared to pick up their tab!

• freckles87
    Beginner May 2013
    freckles87 ·
    • Hide content

If you're doing luck dips, you would only be able to do it for the following Wednesday or Saturday.

• C
    Beginner July 2012
    Chippers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Honestly, if I thought there was going to be any ill feeling or anyone would take offence we wouldnt do it...

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha exactly! Because this is precisely what I would do...

I think I'd feel a bit of a numpty after the joke was revealed. Not sure I'd appreciate being the laughing stock of the whole wedding. I can manage that on my own thank you very much!

• Nenas
    Beginner March 2012
    Nenas ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

that's a pain. We're going to have a busy few days rolling/tying them all up!

The wedding is on a Thursday, so we had thought to buy the tickets for the Wednesday night draw and then announce the numbers during the speeches or something.

Does this make more sense then buying them for the Saturday after the Thursday and then leaving people to it? We thought it would be a bit more fun doing it for the Wednesday one..?

• freckles87
    Beginner May 2013
    freckles87 ·
    • Hide content

It is a pain. Would you not be able to give the job to someone else, as I'm sure you'll have a lot of other things on your mind!

I personally like the idea of announcing the numbers at the wedding, as it includes the favours in the day.

• Nenas
    Beginner March 2012
    Nenas ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Could give it to someone else I suppose. I guess we'll see how we get on and then delegate as necessary.

It can't take that long to roll and tie 70+ lottery tickets...right?? *nervous laugh*

• freckles87
    Beginner May 2013
    freckles87 ·
    • Hide content

Ha, possibly wouldn't take that long. Just get a couple of people helping you and I'm sure it wouldn't take that long. You would be able to get them from the Thursday morning the week before the wedding, so it does give you a few days to get them sorted. I can just imagine the look on the cashiers face when you ask for 70 separate lucky dips, prepare for shock/possible death stare!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics