Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

cford09
Beginner March 2013

Lottery tickets or scratchcards as favours?

cford09, 10 of May of 2012 at 13:51 Posted on Planning 0 14

Hi girls,

I know we've had a couple of posts about favours recently which has got me thinking about mine.

For the girls I'm doing a friendship bag. For the men, I was planning on doing lottery tickets or scratchcards, as they are only £1, it's a bit of fun seeing if you've won anything and I know it's something myself and OH would like to receive ourselves.

I was just wondering if anyone else is doing / has done this and how it has gone down. Do you have opinions on them as favours? Does anyone think it's a god awful idea?

I'm not sure which to go for as with scratchcards you are more likely to win and you find out straight away, but we are getting married on a Saturday so could buy the tickets for the Saturday draw and get the winning numbers read out by the DJ when they are announced in the evening.

14 replies

Latest activity by PhotographybyBillHaddon, 7 of December of 2023 at 13:29
  • *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I thought about this actually and then thought about if anyone actually won, would they feel they needed to share it? or if they did win and did not share it how would you feel?

After considering the above we decided not to do it.

• sovilla
    Beginner July 2013
    sovilla ·
    • Hide content

Im doing scratch cards, think it will be a bit of fun, im not worried if someone wins and doesnt want to share or feels like they could share. Its only my family and really close friends that will be there so its not going to cause a problem. Smiley smile

• cford09
    Beginner March 2013
    cford09 ·
    • Hide content

This has crossed our minds and was sort of one of my worries but as Sovilla says, we are only having very close friends and family for our wedding breakfast so I think I'd be happy for anyone who won as we aren't having plus ones or anything like that. I wouldn't expect anyone to share but if they decided they wanted to then that's a bonus!

This is why I was sort of leaning more towards scratchcards, because you have a higher chance of winning but it's a smaller prize than the lottery so I wouldn't begrudge someone their tenner!

I'm just finding it really hard to think of an alternative to give to the blokes!

The favours for the women are friendships bags which are little organza bags that have a few bits in them and a little note inside to explain each thing. They aren't really for any particular purpose or use, I just think they are really sweet. Ours will contain: a penny so you will never be broke, a sweetie because you are one, a marble incase you lose yours, an eraser to rub out your mistakes, a piece of string to hold everything together when you feel like it's all falling apart, a wishing stone (a pebble from Rhyl beach where OH is from), and a mini teddy so they've always got someone to give them a hug :-)

Somehow I don't think the blokes will appreciate that!

• kookik
    Beginner September 2012
    kookik ·
    • Hide content

I've actually asked for scratch cards as a gift to us for our wedding present! Lol as well as money of course - but we know some people can't afford much and what if they gave us the winning ticket? ? they would be made up! I hope haha

I think if you're looking a £1 either way then the charity pins are a great idea. you could get breast for girls and prostate for boys - or just get for cancer research or something?

• Little Miss Tweety
    Beginner August 2012
    Little Miss Tweety ·
    • Hide content

Im not doing scratch cards or anything coz i will admit it would WASTE MY DAY if certain people won anything!!

Yes i know i sound like a total cow!!!

?

• xMissyLoux
    Beginner September 2012
    xMissyLoux ·
    • Hide content

Mu auntie did this at her wedding and until then I'd never come across it but thought it was a brilliant idea! We had a lottery ticket and a cream egg! I was tempted to steal this idea myself but then didn't want to copy and we've gone with favours that are only costing us slightly less than £1 now so saving a little bit of money!

But I'd say do it! Scratchcards or tickets sound good. If you go for tickets I like the idea of the DJ announcing the numbers!

• Jalapeno
    Beginner October 2012
    Jalapeno ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Until someone gets holds of someone elses ticket and "fakes" the drawn numbers to match the ones on the ticket!!

I'm sure this happened at a wedding reception before. BM called out the Brides Mum's numbers. I can't find the article.

• MrsMeldrew
    Beginner October 2012
    MrsMeldrew ·
    • Hide content

My mum has scratchcards for her wedding and it was great and it got people on the tables chatting as well. I think someone did win a couple of hundred and it got everyone on brilliant form!

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

I'd say scratch cards, i went to a wedding where they had these and it went down really well...you can also get scratch cards that match your colour scheme as they always have a variety of colours! when we did ours it got people talking at the tables asking if anyone had won etc x

• honeybee9
    Beginner May 2012
    honeybee9 ·
    • Hide content

We are having scratch cards. We did consider the dj reading the numbers out but thought that it might be abit strange for the evening guests...

• cford09
    Beginner March 2013
    cford09 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks hun I never thought of this! Scratchcards it is then!

• Christmas Bride 2012
    Christmas Bride 2012 ·
    • Hide content

Ohhhh love this idea and also the charity pins but think we are having homemade beer for the boys and homemade xmas soaps for the girls or chutneys xx

• Z
    Beginner June 2024 Kent
    Zoe ·
    • Hide content
    I see this question is really old but was wondering if anyone’s done this? How did it go?
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

I do not see it very often now mainly I think because it now cost twice as much since the first post.

In my experience out of a room of 100 people the most I have seen win is about £25 (or what they owned up to anyway ) I think scratch cards are better than lotto tickets as its more entertaining being done in the room there and then.

Here is one from this year, rather than just placing a card on the table

Lottery tickets or scratchcards as favours? 1

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics