Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

alyj66
VIP August 2014

Lovely make up dodgy pics

alyj66, 18 of June of 2014 at 17:35 Posted on Planning 0 22

I've bought loads of makeup, primer, foundation, this wonderful grinding blusher thing and false eyelashes. I had the day off for wedding stuff, waiting for a parcel that wasn't posted and to order after dinner chocolates from a shop that wasn't open so not a totally productive day, so I decided to throw it on my face and then fix it with this dewy finish stuff and here is the end result. The pictures aren't wonderful but I like the primer/foundation finish and the big cow eyelashes

22 replies

Latest activity by pammy67, 19 of June of 2014 at 18:43
  • MrsDJG
    Beginner May 2015
    MrsDJG ·
    • Hide content

This looks nice, what is the dewy finish product? X

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Well done you - looks great Smiley smile I'm a klutz with false eyelashes so recently bought a special tool which I'm hoping will make it much easier. Yours look fab Smiley smile

• Caz72
    Beginner September 2014
    Caz72 ·
    • Hide content

Looks great! Love the eyelashes. I'm hoping to have mine done, even though I've never tried it before.

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Pammy, I cheated...my daughter applied them for me.

Mrs DJG it's this, it fixes your make up and you can either have a matt finish or dewy. At my age I need all the dewiness I can getSmiley smile

• .A.S.
    Beginner July 2014
    .A.S. ·
    • Hide content

You look gorgeous. Tips to add (if I may be so bold)

- hunt down a pink toned concealer. This will help tone down the blue of your under eye circles so you look brighter and fresher in photos (bobbi brown can recommend you a cracker)

- use a yellow based highlighter across your cheek bones = instant dewy, youthful skin (touché éclat)

- you have great shaped lips. Use a lip liner to really set their shape, a neutral lipstick the same colour as your natural lips, and the gloss you're wearing here on too. It might feel a lot, but it will really highlight your natural assets (Clinique honeyblush looks like a good match, our the chubby stick in bountiful blush)

- the cow lashes are gorgeous. A darker shadow in the outer corner of the eye would show them off better and make your eye "pop" (anything brown/ish will make your blue eyes bluer) (a match to Clinique "foxier" would be great)

- I love that there is no dark liner on the bottom of the eye. It looks lovely - but try adding a tiny smidge of mascara on the bottom. It will open the eye up.

please dont take this in any way as you don't look lovely enough, you look fab, and would look dab walking down the aisle with that face on. This is just what I would add to you to enhance your make up for photography if you came to see me in work Smiley smile

also sorry for recommending my own brand **shame** it's just to give you an idea. You can find matches all over the place if you have a good hunt Smiley winking

xxx

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you so much for all your recommendations. I must admit I don't understand the top 2 ? I don't normally wear anything other than eyeliner and mascara. I'll definitely use mascara on the lower lashes and totally agree on the darker shadow on the outside as we've just done my daughter's make up in a different combination of eye shadow and it looked good. I had used a lip liner but probably not enough. Can you recommend which foundation? I went to Boots for a colour match....and how do I use a highlighter? If you send me a shopping list then I'll happily buy it and give it another go Smiley smile any excuse. Do you still work in the industry so to speak? I'd be happy to buy from you if you do.

I'm pleased that you gave me some other tips. Here's the next make up combination on daughter;

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

ETA;

daughter has just showed me a highlighter that she has called high beam by Benefit and corrected me on the fact that it's not a foundation...oops. would this do the job and use it for the cheekbones?

You've now turned into my personal MUA...sorry!

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Picking up tips Smiley smile I have dark circles but they have been helped massivley by using good eyecreams. I'll have to look for a pink based concealer. Can anyone recommend one. I have a fair but not white complexion Smiley smile x

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The same as me. I have my notebook out ready for tips Smiley smile

• .A.S.
    Beginner July 2014
    .A.S. ·
    • Hide content

Haha, bless you. I work for Clinique as a beauty consultant and am based in east anglia. I am however leaving the company to become a full time stay at home mum in two more shifts!!! But I moonlight as a freelance make up artist part time for brides and proms etc. I spend up to a few months with my brides helping them buy their makeup, and charge a fee based on application as opposed to charging triple figures and the bride having nothing but pictures as a memory. I shan't go on about that though, I might get told off as I'm not HIB!!! I should mention though the higher fees for a full time MUA are absolutely worth it. I can only do it my way as it's not my main "earner" Smiley smile

Now... Let me try and explain better.

- your under eye circles are relatively dark. This is your natural skin pigment - the tone of them in the picture is a dark bluey/grey whereas the rest of your skin is... Well... Skin coloured. A "pink" toned concealer will reduce the blue tone by cancelling it out. This will make your under eye area more like the colour of your cheeks/forehead. next time you go make up shopping "really" look at concealers. You will see yellow, pink, orange, brown and beige. They all do a different job and are designed for different skin tones.

- highlighters come in two forms. Powder or cream. I'll start with cream. Leading on from what I said about concealers, you will find (generally) three highlighters, white/pink/yellow. Highlighters brighten the areas of skin you apply it to. When you do this light will bounce of the light areas, and leave shadows in the dark areas. This makes your face look both slimmer, well shaped and dewier when used correctly. Great for a bride!

powders are better for contouring which is in layman's terms, a more extreme version of what I've said above. Google contouring in google images and you will start to see what I'm on about.

- foundation wise... It's so, so personal. From the pictures... The one you're wearing looks too golden for your skin tone. It is a different colour to your neck, and you look like you have a more neutral skintone. Foundations aren't just coloured light to dark. They are also divided by undertones. Golden (j LO) neutral (Katy perry) pink (Renee zellweger). My personal favourite bridal foundations are... Superbalance (Clinique), vitalumiere (Chanel), foundation stick (bobbi brown). Next time you go shopping ask each brand to colour match you and you can then pick your favourite to invest in. Once you have the right foundation you can build on that with concealer etc etc etc.

I'll leave it there for now, this is quite the essay. Hope it was helpful... Any questions big or small, drop me a line.

also, your daughter's make up is spot on. She's very pretty! Smiley smile

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

I think I need to skulk along to a make up counter. I was going to have a MUA but she didn't want to travel in the end so I have the ME option now. I'm really grateful, thank you for taking the time to type your essay!! Daughter is very happy with your comments too.

• .A.S.
    Beginner July 2014
    .A.S. ·
    • Hide content

Ok, product recommendations... Its hard to really hit the jackpot from photos but I will do my absolute best! Pammy feel free to upload a picture if you'd like to jump on the bandwagon and ask anything specific.

Concealers:

benefit - - boinggg - - good value for money, great colour range, long stay power but prone to creasing so not always a great choice for the more mature skin

clinique - - line smoothing concealer - - it really is bloody good. Sets in place and comes in three great colours (there's a fair one I believe would suit you pammy)

bobbi brown - - concealer kit - - three products, one pink/another appropriate colour tone to suit whatever skin tone your under eyes are, one appropriate concealer, and beautiful yellow setting powder to make the under eye are feel like velvet

highlighters:

YSL -- touche eclat -- the classic brightening concealer. An old favourite for millions of women

benefit -- high beam/moonbeam/sun beam -- three different tones. Again great on a young skin. These are very pearly and give of a luminous finish that will glisten/sparkle. Very pretty and good fun to play with

clinique airbrush -- same as touché éclat but cheaper... Tbh most brands offer a touché éclat style pen now

urban decay (debenhams) -- "sin" eyeshadow. Yes a powder shadow.... But sweep it across cheeks atop your blusher, under the brows and down the nose and hey presto you have an instant highlighting masterpiece. It's a cult favourite.

okay, okay, I could play this game all day with any product choice........ There is nothing better in life than personal shopping for make up Smiley smile

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

I have been on the Bobbi Brown website, chatted to the online bod and explained your recommendations. I will be dabbling at the weekend and posting online again, without moo cow eyelashes as that's daughters domain and she's heading back down south tomorrow. Just got to shop for the right lipstick...

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Bless both you lovely ladies for allowing me to gatecrash this thread Smiley smile

Here's some pics from my hair and make up trial:

This is how I did my make up for a recent wedding - sorry not the best photo as it's a oic of a pic lol

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Your eyes are amazing Pammi, you're a pretty lady. I've just bought my foundation and concealer set from Bobbi Brown as you can return the products if they're not right even if you've tried them. I'm glad you've joined the thread, this has been a weird sort of fun this evening.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Aaw thank you that's so kind. Beginning to show my age now tho lol. You have amazing eyes too. Lovely colour.

I'm going shopping with my daughter, MoH, this weekend so might see if we can look at make up. Lol - I'm having a MUA, but I want to be 100% with the products so am happy for her to use mine, plus I habe to do it again for the second party when I will have to do my own lol.

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

I don't wear foundation normally so when I see a photo of myself I feel like my face is full of crevices, all wrinkles and bags. I'll just make sure that there's no close ups Smiley smile It's still exciting though.

Have a lovely time with your daughter.

• RizzieRazzle
    Beginner August 2014
    RizzieRazzle ·
    • Hide content

How pretty are the ladies on Hitched? If I were that way inclined I might be a little jealous of your beauty! Tehehe

The tips here are awesome. I'm making notes about things like concealers and stuff and also, even though I wasn't going to originally, I'm going to book in with one of the people at a make-up counter; the comments on this thread have convinced me they're not super mean! I'm actually really afraid about what beauty professionals (hairdressers, beauty therapists, make up artists, etc.) might say but I feel a little better about it now.

• smokesignal
    Beginner August 2015
    smokesignal ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Agreed Smiley smile I'm planning to do my own makeup on the day, especially as it gives me an excuse to buy some lovely high end products Smiley laugh lately I've been hooked on beauty blogs and now I have even more products on my wishlist Smiley laugh thanks for the tips and recommendations Smiley smile
    xoxo

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I hope you're going to flash a pic with the new products alyj!! Loving the tips btw and recognising that my mua wasn't great. Rethinking completely now!!

• .A.S.
    Beginner July 2014
    .A.S. ·
    • Hide content

Ahh thanks ladies, anything I can do to help Smiley smile I'm glad I have. Even if it's only a little bit Smiley smile

rizzle dazzle - I replied but I'm not sure if it worked... You can email me on ****************@*****.***. I don't mind anyone dropping me a line for advice and help. I'll do what I can Smiley smile

pammy - for more mature skin...

- luminosity is key. Mix a product like Clinique's golden up lighter in to foundation to help light bounce of your skin

- tinted moisturisers and cc creams are full of moisture as well as coverage so they will create a smooth bubble over the skin, softening fine lines and creases

- Clinique's repair wear laser focus foundation is great for more mature skins, check their website for more info

- make sure you keep SPF minimal or non existent in your foundation choice as it flashes back in photography, making you look white or green!

- choose berry, red wine and rosy pink colours for your lips. They make teeth look whiter than hot corals, oranges and harsh pinks

- try and avoid a powder where possible, this can settle into creases, and make skin look flat. Powder DOES however make make up last longer (like hairspray). If you feel you can't go without, use an extremely fine ground loose powder as it will mostly be invisible

im im sure there's more, but again, I'll leave it there for now. Sorry if I said mature more than necessary... It's a daft word. Besides. Make up can knock a decade off if used correctly Smiley winking

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I will indeed, I'm a little excited at having a dabble! A big big thank you to NMrsAfS, I really think that you should set up a blog where women can send you pictures and you give guidance, it definitely helped me Smiley smile

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you from me too. I'm going shopping at the weekend Smiley smile x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics