Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Beginner November 2016

Lovely songs that are inappropriate for weddings

1987RAF, 20 of April of 2016 at 14:46 Posted on Planning 0 22

I have been thinking about a lot of music that I really like and is great music that I would really want to have played at my wedding, but a lot of it is inappropriate considering the tone of the music.

A couple of examples are:

Gregg Nestor's version of Stanley Meyers Cavatina (its played on a Cello - shame I cant find a link from the tube for it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=802m4gzuyHk

Theme tune to Schindlers list played on Cello

So in the vein of Mr P and his questions;- Does anyone else have any lovely songs that they would like played but in a wedding context are totally out of place. One of mine is a really violent war film, one about the holocaust and the other is about someone giving up on their love of another.

22 replies

Latest activity by soraneko, 24 of April of 2016 at 21:06
  • T
    Beginner May 2016
    Tidal Wave ·
    • Hide content

There are quite a few songs I like, then really listen to the lyrics, and it changes. Love Sam Smith "Stay with me" then realised it was a single man after a cuddle after a ONS, which did ruin it for me, that's my one.

On the mention of Schindlers List, we were sorting out our classical music playlist and this came up, even worse is he's German - that didn't get added ?

• soraneko
    Beginner June 2016
    soraneko ·
    • Hide content

One song I wanted for my first dance was "Clarity" by Zedd feat Foxes... I then noticed it's actually about a bad relationship that you can't get out of - eg. "If our love is tragedy, why are you my remedy? If our love's insanity, why are you my clarity?" and decided this might not be appropriate - esp as I have been in one of those relationships previously!

• GiraffeBride
    Beginner May 2018
    GiraffeBride ·
    • Hide content

We sort of have an example of this- we are going to have 'Time To Say Goodbye' as our first dance song.... the only line in English is that one, and it makes it sound like the song is about a break up. Actually if you read the translation it's about saying goodbye to a time when that person wasn't in your life because now they will be forever, but OH is worried people will think we're weird. I'm tempted to have the lyric printed out and put somewhere for people to read!!

• AnthonyWinyardEntertainment
    AnthonyWinyardEntertainment ·
    • Hide content

For many years one of the most popular songs at weddings was "Young hearts run free" which aren't the most appropriate lyrics for a wedding, but you'll find that a lot of people don't really listen to the lyrics and have no idea, which is why for example so many ask for "Dance with my father" for the Father Daughter dance, but the lyrics are about his dead dad ?

• B
    Beginner July 2016
    bananacatdance ·
    • Hide content

We were looking for songs that we could play during the ceremony - or just before, while people are waiting for the bride (thats me, feeling more real, eeek!). The number one when we first met was "Killing in the Name of", when we got together it was "Bad Romance", and "All about that bass" when he proposed! Just imagining family's faces if that was the playlist ??

• L
    Beginner August 2016
    Laurensmum ·
    • Hide content

I wanted Sham 69 "Hurry Up Harry" punk song to walk out with......it has the famous lyrics: Weeee'rrreeeee going down the pub!!!! ?

My OH and I like a beer and it's exactly where we are going as that's where the reception is!!! My FFIL did share in my amusement though....now going with boring Etta James At last! ?

• AnthonyWinyardEntertainment
    AnthonyWinyardEntertainment ·
    • Hide content

You could always play this 'cool' version of your last song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLnZ1NQm2uk

They're a great band

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Then it would make a perfect song for walking out to

Beginner November 2016
    1987RAF ·
    • Hide content

There is an all Italian version of this floating around as its a cracking piece of music. It's called con the partiro (as that's the translation). That way people won't necessarily know the song and the only English line in it and make assumptions. In fact, the English translation if I remember correctly is really bad English and sounds like a google translate job.

some good songs coming out here. I appear to be the only one with classically played music even of newer songs. There must be some more of you out there having just music without words?

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I got one for you at a wedding I photographed - it was the starwars imperial march as the bride and Dad walked up the isle, it was brilliant !

• L
    Beginner August 2016
    Laurensmum ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am having 2 bits of music played and recorded by my friend on piano. I'm a bit of a James Horner/movie soumdtrack fan so I'm having the theme tune from Casper as the guests walk in (sad I know, but it's so beautiful!), and for when I walk down the aisle I'm having the piano version of Heart of a King from Man In The Iron Mask (you tube it! It's gorgeous)

Along the James Horner theme I have always dreamed of walking down the aisle to" For the love of a Princess" from Braveheart, but I just worry someone will scream out "Freeedddoom" or start chanting "Wallace, Wallace!" ???

• T
    Beginner May 2016
    Tidal Wave ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is what we're walking out too. Bit of a misunderstanding as the organist was attempting to play us a wedding March, oh said sounds like star wars, organist starting playing it immediately and to be fair sounds lovely on an organ. Only after agreeing it did he play me the proper version ? ah well.

• thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk
    thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

We get asked to play Geenday's 'Time of your life' for either the first or last song of the night.

I then point out that the subtitle in brackets after it is Good riddance!!!

A couple of years ago lots of couples wanted Ed Sheerans A team..again not the best lyrics!!!

Awesome question!!!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Actually the name of the song is Good Riddance, Time of Your Life is the part in brackets. Even worse...

• F
    Beginner June 2016
    FloLo ·
    • Hide content

I really wanted "Grow Old With Me" by George Ezra to be played during our ceremony... Until I listened to the lyrics more closely and realised one of them is more than slightly inappropriate! Think my Grandma and FMIL would have fits.

Beginner November 2016
    1987RAF ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Now have finally worked out how to actually quote on this website (FML im thick sometimes) it makes my replies look a little bit easier..... Ah, yes that one line in this song. I'm sure I saw someone on a wesbite manage to source a clean version of this song so it may be worth doing a little bit of googling to see what you can turn up. Failing that, do you tihnk they would notice being caught up in the moment and all that?

• CountryBumpkin
    CountryBumpkin ·
    • Hide content

I always cringe slightly when couples say they want The Police's Every Breath You Take. To me, it's a song about stalking ?

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

My favourite song is called 'To Bid You Farewell', there in essence is the entire problem with it. Lol.

• soraneko
    Beginner June 2016
    soraneko ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to put this out there - a friend of mine had Bruno Mars "Marry You" at her wedding. To me this shows people just go with the 'title lyric' sometimes... despite the fact that the whole lyric is "It's a beautiful night, we're looking for something dumb to do, hey baby, I think I wanna marry you!" - to me this is not the message I want to put across while I'm getting married! Is this just me?

Beginner November 2016
    1987RAF ·
    • Hide content

Agreed Soraneko! To me it's a song about getting drunk and deciding to marry someone in Vegas cos they are drunk and if it doesn't work out then oh well.

Catchy words though and it's used a lot at engagement song things that appear on the YouTube every now and then. Something else morbidly embarrassing - engagement flash mobs

• soraneko
    Beginner June 2016
    soraneko ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh, wouldn't it be amazing if your OH had gone to all that effort, though?

Beginner November 2016
    1987RAF ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm not the most outward of people in the world so it would be A* for effort and execution but F- for making me the centre of attention in front of thousands of strangers. It also makes it harder for someone to say no when everyone else is watching as well so maybe a bit of pressure being added on when not required?

• soraneko
    Beginner June 2016
    soraneko ·
    • Hide content

I see what you mean, 1987RAF, I'm not one to draw attention to myself, but I think it would make me feel special (despite the embarrassment!) - however I think we're moving off topic - haha (oops)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics