Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner November 2013

'Macho' Wedding Reading for Non-religious Ceremony

kattybalatty, 8 of July of 2013 at 16:34 Posted on Planning 0 9

I really want my brother to give a reading at my ceremony but he is the least 'cheesy' person going and despite my best efforts I have been unable to find anything he feels comfortable reading.

The closest we have got is some dialogue from a Rocky film (yes, really!) but it doesn't flow very well so I am still looking.

We both grew up watching 80's films so something from one of these would be meaningful or something from an action film?!

He doesn't like any of the funny rhymes or kids stories, I've tried Dr Seuss and Pam Ayres but he hates both (I love them so no offence intended!)

My sis-in-law is reading 'A Lovely Love Story' by Edward Monkton - my brother also refused that!

And yes, I know he should read what we want, but I love him and I want him to feel comfortable and Rocky really is more his style Smiley smile

Thanks, Kat x

9 replies

Latest activity by Barefoot, 9 of July of 2013 at 14:34
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

The problem with film dialogue is that it usually requires more than one person. And anything I can think of that might fit for a wedding reading more naturally comes from the chick flick genre...

I had a fairly masculine reading, but still a poem and still a touching one.

“Scaffolding” by Seamus Heaney

Masons, when they start upon a building,

Are careful to test out the scaffolding;

Make sure that planks won’t slip at busy points,

Secure all ladders, tighten bolted joints.

And yet all this comes down when the job’s done

Showing off walls of sure and solid stone.

So if, my dear, there sometimes seem to be

Old bridges breaking between you and me

Never fear. We may let the scaffolds fall,

Confident that we have built our wall.

• Childhood-Sweet<3
    Beginner July 2014
    Childhood-Sweet<3 ·
    • Hide content

Short but sweet, a good old When Harry Met Sally...

"When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."

• J
    Beginner April 2013
    JanetJones ·
    • Hide content

We had this, chosen because of its lack of mush.

A good marriage must be created.
    In the art of marriage the little things are the big things...

It is never being too old to hold hands.

It is never going to sleep angry.

It is having a mutual sense of values and common objectives.
    It is standing together facing the world.

It is forming a circle of love that gathers in the whole family.

It is speaking words of appreciation
    and demonstrating gratitude in thoughtful ways.

It is having the capacity to forgive and forget.

It is giving each other an atmosphere in which each can grow.

It is not only marrying the right partner, it is being the right partner.

• K
    Beginner November 2013
    kattybalatty ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thats really lovely, but he doesn't want anything that rhymes! He's so fussy. Thats the problem with the scene from Rocky that he chose - its a conversation so doesn't flow properly. I'm trying to find some kind of speech from a film so its only one person who says it!

Thanks, Kat

• Lommel
    Beginner August 2014
    Lommel ·
    • Hide content

I've never even noticed that Scaffolding rhymes til now! Have a watch of Seamus Heaney reading it on YouTube, its not really rhyme-y.

• Lommel
    Beginner August 2014
    Lommel ·
    • Hide content

Or maybe Valentine by Carol Ann Duffy, I love that one.

• K
    Beginner November 2013
    kattybalatty ·
    • Hide content

Just to help a little more with the direction we want to go in, this was what was suggested from Rocky -

Paulie: [talking about Adrian] You like her?

Rocky: Sure, I like her.

Paulie: What's the attraction?

Rocky: I dunno... she fills gaps.

Paulie: What's 'gaps'?

Rocky: I dunno, she's got gaps, I got gaps, together we fill gaps.

I do love the sentiment of it and would have been really happy with it if it weren't for the fact that he has to say 'and then Paulie said 'bla bla' and then rocky said 'bla bla'. I also love Valentine as I studied it at school but again, it really doesnt suit my brother. He loves motorbikes and football and i am his annoying little sister Smiley smile

Thanks, Kat x

• Dreamysmiles
    Beginner October 2013
    Dreamysmiles ·
    • Hide content

In movie 100 girls

Matthew: Without you, I'm as lonely as an abandoned dog on the side of a highway. I have gift anxiety, even through I don't know when your birthday is. We can spend perfect days shopping and cleaning together. I swear, I'll never make wisecracks when you scrape your tires against the curb while parallel parking. If you consent to live with me, I'll clean the toilet every week. I'll do it with my tongue if you ask. I will strike the words "hooters" and "love rockets" from my vocabulary. I'll love you. Even if your name is Mimi and you want me to pronounce it "May May". I will only pass gas underneath the covers and under the direst of circumstances. Hell, I'll go on a low cholesterol diet. And I won't buy one of those red sports cars when I hit my mid-life crisis. Your parents can come visit us every week, even if your mom is a witch with a capital B. And your folks don't have to go to a retirement home because they can come live with us. I declare, I'll separate the whites from the colors and learn the mysteries of hot and cold water washes. I'll never huff and puff while waiting for you to put on my makeup. If you're a cat person, I'll never point out the fact that a dog can save your life from drowning, but a cat can't. I will happily go see chick flicks with you, like "Pride and Prejudice." I'll make a point to trying new food like okra gumbo. I won't curl my nose at vegetables whose awful taste is disguised by having cheese on it. I pledge to always say "yes" when you ask, "Is my hair looking okay tonight?" I'm gonna bring a whole new meaning to the word "cuddle." I'll be thoughtful enough to read your horoscope every day. I'm gonna save every birthday card you send me! And I'll actually write you real letters when we're apart. I'm never gonna expect you to know where I left my car keys, and I'll never leave my socks on the floor. With me, you'll find the cap is always on the toothpaste. I'll start wearing those male bikini underwear if you like. My belly button will always be lint free. I declare now, I will give my life for you. And if you fail to come to me, I know some part of me will surely die

Dont know if it's not soppy enough! But I like it for my brother Smiley smile

• B
    Beginner July 2014
    blueypye ·
    • Hide content

Personally, if he felt that unseasy about doing a reading, then why not get him to do something else instead, like signing the register? My OH politefully declined reading at his friends wedding because it made him uncomfortable - and it wasn't just the content of the passage, it was actually standing up in front of loads of people (half of which he didn't know) and saying something about love. Some people just don't enjoy it.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

I had a quote from The Crow first time round. I can't remember the full thing, maybe someone can find it, but it ends "... buildings burn, people die, but true love lasts forever".

ETA just searched... we actually linked 2 Crow quotes into a reading...

"A building gets torched. All that is left is ashes. I used to think that is true about everything.... families, friends, feelings. But now I know that sometimes, if love proves real, and two people are meant to be together, nothing can keep them apart. Buildings burn, people die, but real love lasts forever".

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics