Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E

Made to measure for petite bride

Esbe59, 10 of August of 2013 at 20:07 Posted on Planning 0 3

My darling 5 ft daughter is getting married June 2014. We are starting to look at dresses, and she likes fishtail or mermaid style, but I'm worried that alterations for her petite height will lose a lot of the gorgeous styling. I'm wondering about the made to measure option - a collection dress made for her size (not bespoke design).

Does anybody have any recommendations? Looking at Suzanne Neville, but can't find any prices on the website. We're in the SE/London area.

Would really appreciate any suggestions.

3 replies

Latest activity by Sprollie, 11 of August of 2013 at 20:38
  • suzysimpson
    Beginner August 2013
    suzysimpson ·
    • Hide content

I don't think you'll have too many problems to be honest, most talented seamstresses take dresses up from the waist not the bottom, so you won't lose too much detail! Also most dresses are designed to fit average height (5'5") and can be easily altered. Suzanne Neville dresses are beautiful, but they start at around £2,500 excluding alterations. For made to measure you'd be looking at £3,000 if I remember correctly.

• MissAmyV
    Beginner May 2014
    MissAmyV ·
    • Hide content

I'm just over 5ft myself and I just went to a wedding dress shop and the lady who was helping said it wouldn't be a problem. They have now ordered my dress, during my next fitting they will adjust the top half of the dress and during the fitting after that they will adjust the length. The only issue with shortening a dress is that if you have a lace dress it is more complicated to shorten, but they can still do that Smiley smile

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

Maggie Sottero do some dresses in petite sizes. I'm 5ft 2 and I bought one.

• S
    Beginner March 2014
    Sprollie ·
    • Hide content

I am not in your area so this isnt much help but i had the same problem, i loved so many dresses when i tried them on but they all drowned me so much i never found 'the one' I am having mine made - bespoke, i thought it would be well off budget but it has actually come in around the same price as others i tried on (about £1100) which includes a veil and she is helping me with a bit of a shoe project! Personally i would get some quotes of bespoke designers before you rule them out.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics