Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Pugsley*
Beginner March 2014

Made to measure suits

*Pugsley*, 30 of September of 2013 at 21:26 Posted on Planning 0 15

Heya,

Has anyone's OH got a suit made to measure before?

My OH is looking in to this but he just can't justify Saville Row prices but I'm not sure how much cheaper other tailors would be and whether the quality would be far less?

Any help/advice would be appreciated!

15 replies

Latest activity by SunnyRedBridesmaid85202, 5 of December of 2019 at 10:30
  • Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

I'm wondering the same actually so will be following this.

I did contact someone a while back but they never bothered to get back to me so i'm still clueless ☹️

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Mine got his on from Ozwald Boateng on Saville Row so I might not be of help. Have you got a rough budget in mind?

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

The shop we're thinking of hiring our suits from does made to measure suits - not sure of the quality though but other wedding shops might do it too

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I've been in a lot of tailors before toying with the idea and I have never been that impressed with the fabrics or cut/finish I have been shown. (Including those in a 'high end' tailors)

Depending on the style you are after a nice designer suit will fit like a made to measure but have a nice cut, finish and material and can be a similar price.

• T
    Beginner May 2015
    Tooinvolvedgroom ·
    • Hide content

Shhh, groom here! 1st post, secret watcher

I'm getting my suit made to measure in Manchester, I'm using Richard Smith bespoke in Manchester. He has loads of fabrics and cuts and is fantastic at adding all the little finishing touches you'd expect (stitching to match colour theme of wedding etc). I also considered James Derby in the NQ but plumped for Richard instead as he's a young on trend guy who seemed to click with what I wanted - he's based on deansgate in the city centre.

anyhow, cost wise we are looking at somewhere between £1100 and £1500 depending on whether I decide to get shirt, tie etc made by him too. I'm having a simple two piece suit made well.

also, as he is fairly young he's quite on the ball with Twitter etc and is decent with regards to replying to emails etc with questions /requests

i hope this helps

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your replies.

We've seen some 'cheaper' ones in Saville Row at a tailors which was reccomended by a friend and they were approx £700 for a standard suit. It's just a bit too much I think.

I think we'll probably look to go down the designer route like Funky said. Or get a really nice suit which could maybe be altered to fit perfectly rather than made from scratch.

I think OH is looking at about £500 or so... Not sure if budget is too low :-/

• Taylory
    Beginner July 2014
    Taylory ·
    • Hide content

Maybe another route to go down is to buy a suit you like the look/fabric of and get it altered by a tailor Smiley smile

• Pinkboo
    Beginner March 2014
    Pinkboo ·
    • Hide content

M&S have a range of Savile Row inspired suits, at a fraction of the price. My OH has been contemplating finding a suit that he likes at a reasonable price, buying it a little bigger then taking it to a taylor to get fitted correctly.

• MrsOh
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsOh ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I read this whole post as a whisper due to the shhh, lol.

I have also toyed with the idea of a tailor made suit but I don't think H2B is keen, he is a rather odd shape so I think it may be good for him... Just depends on how much use he can get out of it afterwards

x

• Sange!
    Beginner January 1997
    Sange! ·
    • Hide content

Buying a suit and taking it to a tailor to have it fitted would achieve the same thing for a fraction of the price .

• BespokeTailor
    BespokeTailor ·
    • Hide content

Hi guys,

I used to knock around this forum a couple of years ago when I was planning my own wedding and previous to that as a HIB, offering advice where I could.

Made to Measure suits are kind of my thing (obviously). I will try to offer a bit of practical advice without the sales stuff.

First of all you have different types of Made to Measure. I (and Savile Row tailors) would call a suit which is hand-cut and hand-made a 'Bespoke' suit. A suit which is made in a factory (and there are all types of these) a 'made to measure' suit. Some of us will offer both services, some will offer one or the other. Most places outside of Savile Row will offer only 'made to measure'.

Different "Made to Measure' factories will make to different standards. Some will offer only a very limited customisation of a regular ready-to-wear suit. And some will offer as many variations as a Bespoke suit. Some will use standard ready to wear blocks (the starting patterns) others will use various blocks, depending on the customer or style of suit. Some services will allow for a wide degree of variation in size, fit, style others very limited. Some will use a very complex system for adapting the suit to different postures and figure descriptions (even using 3D body scanners), some will not offer figure description changes at all and some will rely on the tailors skill to adjust for these.

Essentially what I am saying is this, not all 'Made to Measure' services are the same. Like most things in life you pretty much get what you pay for. In my business we offer 'bespoke' but we mostly use a 'Made to Measure' service. i now use 3 different services for our 'made to measure' suits. I don't really discuss this part of the make of the suit with the customer. I have these different services available to me so I can offer anything and everything. That we I can account for any customisation, any or unusual shape, fit etc.

Like most things you are booking for your wedding, I would suggest research is the key. Talk to different people, read different reviews and look at the finished product. Lots of places offer Made to Measure suits now, you can pick them up pretty cheap if you want to: A Suit that Fits, offer made to measure from £289.95. Although I would suggest you may not get the level of service or quality of product suitable for a 'wedding suit' with that type of service but that would be from my own professional point of view.

If you need any advice etc. Please do not hesitate to email me: ****@***********.**.**

Also fabric choice is the biggest decision (apart from the service you choose to use) you will make in regards to a made to measure suit. It is honestly a MASSIVE decision, I cannot over state how important this decision is when deciding which suit to have made.

Thanks

Marc

*oh and one more thing, altering a ready-to-wear suit is nothing like having a suit made. Nothing at all. They are a complete opposite to each other. (I sell both by the way)

• Horace
    Dedicated November 2013
    Horace ·
    • Hide content

hi, my OH wanted a made to measure suit but we too couldn't justify the cost. We were looking at having a suit made at our local menswear hire shop but then were told about Debenhams. Not sure where you are based but we got a great deal on a made to measure suit at their Lakeside branch (Essex), it came in at £330ish for a 3 piece. OH chose his material, lining, and waistcoat fabric then was measured by a tailor in store then it was made abroad. He's had his first fitting and he goes back for his second next week. All included in price. So far the tailor (Ali) has been excellent and OH's suit looks great - I am no expert but it certainly looks a lot better on him than an off the peg suit ever could! We got a 50% off offer but I gather they run those promotions quite often.

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

My h2b is going to buy a suit, but is looking at spending £300. He's found a grey mohair suit on my-tuxedo.com that he likes the look of soai think he plans to buy this. They have a shop/ factory. in bournemouth. This will undoubtedly not get done until next year as it is the one thing he is doing alone haha!

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

My friend gets his tailored suits from this website suitsupply.com he and several of my friends swear it's amazing. I think the idea is you measure yourself, pick all the materials and send it off, it's cheaper than getting it tailored in a store. He gets like cashmere wool suits for a few hundred quid less than it would've cost him normally.

• S
    SunnyRedBridesmaid85202 ·
    • Hide content

I know one tailor in hong kong, The Milan Tailors from where i get my wedding made to measure suit. I was so impressed by their fittings and their collections, which over whelmed my wedding day and made it more special. They are Custom Tailors in Kowloon Hong Kong and are best at their work.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics