Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner December 2014

Maggie Sottero Emma sizing advice

brideoffrankenstein, 9 of March of 2014 at 11:49 Posted on Planning 0 6

I tried on Emma from Maggie Sottero in a shop on Friday in the light gold and am very tempted to go for it. My problem is that my top half is much narrower than my bottom half which threw a bit of a curve ball to the ladies in the shop. Based on my measurements I'm no bigger than a 6-8 on top, but more like a 12 on my hips. However, after measuring me three times they suggested we should order a 10 because they felt the A-line skirt would have enough room to be OK as my widest point is actually below the point where your official 'hip' measurement is taken.

I have no intention of losing any weight before my wedding because I don't really need to and there's no guarantee it would come off the right place anyway! But slightly nervous that I might end up with a skirt that is too tight and I hate anything too constricting. The shop was great and I did trust what they were saying - but I don't want to spend the next six months worrying it might come up a little tight.

I know Emma is a dress that gets mentioned on here comes up from time to time so wondered if anyone had been through the same conundrum. I got the impression the shop thought ordering a 12 was a bad idea because they would have to take a lot out of the top. Any other pear shaped women worn this dress already and can give me some reassurance?

6 replies

Latest activity by Ohwhatatuesday, 23 of March of 2014 at 08:56
  • T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Welcome to hitched! I looked up the dress & its lovely. I had a Maggie dress (different style) & found them very well suited to womens' figures & hips. Esp with the corset back, it can be tightened where it needs to be. I'm sure the shop know what they are doing. I usually wear a size 12, & my dress was labelled as a 10- I assume because its a US brand. You could always wear a push up bra or add chicken fillets if you need a boost on the top half to even things up.

• bettylu88
    Beginner November 2014
    bettylu88 ·
    • Hide content

I too am trying Emma dress on. I'm a 6 all over and think the dress is v generous on the bottom half so I think a 10 will fit you fine!

Beginner February 2016
    2016bride88 ·
    • Hide content

Oh how exciting!! I have ordered the Emma in light gold also Smiley smile i was measured and they have just ordered it so I'm hoping they get it right haha! My wedding isn't for a year but I ordered it in oct and it's due in next month Smiley smile

im in love with it I can't wait to try it on again. i think what your saying should be fine and I assume they can alter if need be, they should be experts so I wouldn't worry too much if they are offering their advice xx

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Emma was my very very close 2nd. It really was a toss up between that and my final choice of the Janelle. I would trust what the bridal shop have said. They should know and understand. They can taje a dress down two sizes so I would have thought the 10 would be the best bet for you too. The 12 might just be too much for them to reduce on the top. But a gorgeous gorgeous dress.

• B
    Beginner December 2014
    brideoffrankenstein ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the replies. Because I was in two minds I went to a second shop to try it on and they measured me and suggested the 12. I am kinda figuring it is their problem to make it fit me now, whereas if I had gone for the smaller size I might have felt forced into losing weight and I can't be bothered with that! Everyone seems to be saying they can take dresses down a couple of sizes so it should work out. Anyway too late now - I've ordered it!

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I know you've ordered it but just to reassure you I think you've done the right thing in ordering the 12. I have the same dress and the same problem - I'm also pear shaped so got a couple of sizes up to accommodate my hips/bust/thighs. It is very tight around that area so there's really not that much room for error. I put on weight after ordering my dress and then ripped the lining trying to get it on as it wouldn't fit so we looked at taking it out too, They can take it out but it's quite a complex job and you only have a couple of inches to play with. I have had the top taken in and it seemed fine and the seamstress said I did the right thing in going for the bigger dress then taking it down at the top.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics