Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner September 2012

Magician at wedding

MrsRainbowtobe, 19 May, 2012 at 20:08 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hi,

I think Im going to have a table magician at my small and intimate wedding of 50, there are different groups of people going and I thought it would be a way to get people talking.

Have u been to a wedding with a magician? When do you think is the best time to have him work his magic? I thought after the wedding breakfast going into the evening, but he has suggested after the ceremony, while the photos are being taken as this it is a good way t hekp people break the ice. But I think people are going to be called out for photos etc so won;t get to see him.

What do you think?

x

12 replies

Latest activity by DaleCampbellFilms, 20 May, 2012 at 13:51
  • 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

I want one but so far I'm not allow as the OH thinks it's a naff idea and a waste of money.....(I shall be picking my moment and working on him ? )

• MrsA2012
    Beginner July 2012
    MrsA2012 ·
    • Hide content

We're having a magician. He's so good, I can't wait. Although it does make my brain hurt thinking about how it works, but that's the mathematician in me.

Anyway, back to OP, we're having him during the lull between the meal/speeches and evening disco. We're having afternoon tea so our meal will be shorter than a normal 3 course meal. Our venue doesn't have rooms so most of our guests will be milling around during this time so we wanted some form of entertainment.

HTH

• martyncroston
    martyncroston ·
    • Hide content

One of the reasons why it can be a good idea to have a magician at a wedding is that often there can be a lengthy period of time when the guests are sat down waiting for the meal.

The magician can move from table to table entertaining the guests during this time.

Obviously it depends on how you structure the wedding day, but I've played at weddings where the guests have been sat at their table for up to an hour waiting for food, which is kind of dead time and a magician can be a great idea

Good luck with your wedding planning!

• MrsA2012
    Beginner July 2012
    MrsA2012 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would agree with this. At a friends wedding recently, I think we were sat down for 3-4 hours in total. There were 100 day guests so it took ages for each table to be served. A magician would've worked really well here.

• **Shelley**
    Beginner October 2012
    **Shelley** ·
    • Hide content

We're thinking about having a magician but for the time after the ceremony and whilst the photos are going and and canapés being had. Out of curiosity, how much is yours costing? X

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

My chum is a magician and we had her after the ceremony until the breakfast was served. She was brilliant and really helped set the atmosphere. She has a website - her name is Kerry Scorah.

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

I'm having a magician from after the ceremony to the wedding breakfast - hopefully it gets people talking and mingling more.

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm making notes to using when working on my OH regarding this lol

• IshouldCoco
    Beginner September 2012
    IshouldCoco ·
    • Hide content

We've booked one. He was £100 for the hour, but have bargained 90 minutes out of him.

I originally thought we'd use him when the room is getting changed round and we have to go up to the hay loft (having reception in comverted stables of old mansion), but I'm now thinking after reading this it may be better when we're getting photos done as ice breaker.

Wedding is at 1pm and meal at 4.30/5pm, evening starts 7pm... Hmmmm, I'm undecided!

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

IMHO they are great at breaking up the slower moments during the food.

Which area are you in, I may be able to suggest a couple if you don't already have one in mind......

Peter

• F
    Beginner March 2013
    flower71 ·
    • Hide content

Personally I'm not a fan of magicians (but then I don't like clowns either!) but at a wedding recently they had one for the drinks after the ceremony. Even with people going for photos etc he was very good and made sure he went round everyone at least once...he did try to catch me but I politely declined...ok, I ran away and said I had to speak to my dad about something! They had a guy doing characture (how do you spell it?!) pics too, he also made sure he got everyone so I'm guessing it's something they do to make it feel inclusive.

• charlottelucy
    Beginner August 2012
    charlottelucy ·
    • Hide content

We're having one during our drinks reception to fill in the time while we are having photos taken. i am gutted though as i wont see much of him and i love magic! x

• DaleCampbellFilms
    DaleCampbellFilms ·
    • Hide content

It works really well, keeps everyone entertained and helps to break the ice in groups who aren't necessarily all close friends.

I can whole heartidly recommend Darren Campbell - http://dcmagic.co.uk/weddings.html

Either way it is a very worthwhile investment and also makes the TOG/VOGs job a lot easier as people are always smiling/laughing naturally during the magic.

***DISCLAIMER It is probably obvious but he is my brother, but check out all of the feedback on his site, the various awards he has won, and his showreels for an impartial view : )

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics