Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Gillsy
Beginner April 2010

Magicians at weddings

Gillsy, 30 November, 2009 at 14:23 Posted on Planning 0 13

Anybody had/having a magician at their wedding??? Or even been to a wedding that had one?? What do you think of them - tacky or interesting??

We were thinking about having one to the entertain the guests whilst the photographs are being taken. Also does anybody know how much they are likely to cost?

13 replies

Latest activity by Anir, 10 December, 2009 at 12:57
  • GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

Our best mate had one last year while the photos were being taken. He was fab!

We were sceptical about it before hand but he was really good!

I can't remember what he costs - for some reason I have about £300-350 in my head...

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

I thought about having a magician, but then thought it would be a bit tacky.

Hopefully someone will prove me wrong!

• Beccy Sprout
    Beginner
    Beccy Sprout ·
    • Hide content

They can be tacky... it depends on their act... we had one and he was seriously fab. The fact that he had Prince Charles and Prince William on his website ( performing magic to them) convinced me he wouldn't be tacky nor childlike etc. I researched it quite thoroughly and they definitely do range to be careful before you book, the price you pay doesn't automatically mean they are good! We paid £450 in the end and he was there for 3.5/4 hours and everyone loved him - he was more mind tricks rather than rabbit out of hat iyswim.

• inalein
    Beginner August 2010
    inalein ·
    • Hide content

My neighbours had one, and they absolutely loved him.

We are actually thinking more on the lines of a caricaturist....at least the guests get a wee keepsake too....

• A
    Beginner November 2009
    AngeliB ·
    • Hide content

We had one at our wedding a couple of weeks ago. My mum paid for him and he wa about £300 for a few hours. He was absolutely fantatic and we were all wowed by his tricks.We booked him for the time before the evening guests arrived to keep the day guests entertained for change over, and for the first hour or 2 as the evening guests arrived , as an ice breaker. He was worth every penny... I would go on reccomendations though rather than the phone book. The magician I had has been booked for the manchester united xmas party!! shame im not invited!

He wasnt tacky at all he was a bending coins david blaine style magician

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

Thanks girls.

Yeah, Angeli - David Blane is what I was thinking - more illusionist than traditional magician.

I'll ask about locally for some recommendations

• L
    Beginner July 2011
    lincsbabe ·
    • Hide content

How about a clairvoyant rather than a magician. That would be different ?

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

Responding reeeally late to this! I'm having a magician at our wedding - I used to work with her and she is awesome. She usually charges between £400 and £500 although I have a veeerry good discount! Lots of sleight of hand and not cheesy rabbit out of a hat stuff (although I'd secretly like that...)

• artisanwedding.co.uk
    artisanwedding.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Much like anything, some are brilliant, some are rubbish!

I have only ever met one who was just mind blowing, the tricks he did were, just unbeleivable

His name was Matt Stirling, his web addy is: http://www.stirlingstunts.co.uk/ I don't know what he charges, but I'd say he's worth it, whatever!

Pete x

• emilyx1
    Beginner September 2010
    emilyx1 ·
    • Hide content

We are having a magician doing table magic at our reception for the first 2 hours. I have had some funny looks when I've told people about it but we think it's something a bit different and will (hopefully!) be a talking point / ice breaker between our day and evening guests. Also me and O/H are big kids at heart and we love the idea, cheesy or not!

• Bridget Gump
    Bridget Gump ·
    • Hide content

We had one in the evening, and got a lot of good feedback from guests so I don't regret it at all. He's a close up magician so it wasn't like he did a show, if people didn't want him to interrupt them he didn't and moved on to someone else. Ours cost £200ish and was there for 3 hours.

The only thing I'd say is that they won't be able to entertain all your guests at the same time (obviously) but most won't need entertaining as they'll be catching up with friends and family.

• bluewater
    Beginner August 2009
    bluewater ·
    • Hide content

My friend had one whilst her photos were being taken. he was really good, not intrusive, but did sidle up and do a few card tricks etc. nothing too out of the ordinary, but once you've had a couple of srinks to loosen you up it's still fun. no idea how much it cost though.

i'm personally not too keen on the caricaturists, you go to a wedding looking your best, why would you want a caricaturist picking up on all the bits you like least about yourself? i personally think they're a bit naff, but then again, H's best man booked one for his stag, and all his mates thought it was great. <shrug>

• M
    MartynRowland ·
    • Hide content

Having a magician at your wedding has now become really popular, although it's still unusual enough to create interest. I'm a professional magician and I've performed at more weddings this year than ever before. It's certainly not tacky, providing you book the right performer - don't book someone who wears a spangly waistcoat and flashing bow tie. The prices mentioned on the posts above are about right - expect to pay around £400-£500.

Most people that think magicians are a weird choice for a wedding have normally seen a terrible performer in the past, and think that we are all the same. Most magician's work in the corporate market as well as for private parties, and need to be smart, modern and have amazing routines. There's some information about wedding magic on my site, and I'm happy to answer any questions anyone has about booking a magician.

I also regularly work with other acts such as caricaturists, silhouette cutters, etc, let me know if you want any other recommendations.

All the best,

Martyn

• A
    Beginner
    Anir ·
    • Hide content

Magicians keep your guests entertained so i think its a great idea - maybe see what kind of magic they do - close up hand work if always a crowd pleaser (my mate used one and it went down a treat.)

Best thing to do is look for recommendations

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics