Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Lancashire

Maid of Honour gift dilemma

Alice, 31 of July of 2024 at 21:17 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 5
Hi all,

Looking for thoughts / advice for what is a reasonable gift to give the couple as a Maid of Honour, given that I've had to pay for everything related to my role in this wedding myself (including dress & alterations, hair and make-up (although I'll prob do that myself) travel from quite a way away for both the hen and the wedding, accommodation and also quite a bit on the hen do for costumes and decorations). When they first asked me, they mentioned their budget was tight, but didn't say they wouldn't even be contributing to the costs for a dress for me.
Don't get me wrong I am honoured to be part of my friend's big day like this and see her marry the love of her life. But all in, I reckon I've spent over £500 on their wedding. Would it therefore be reasonable to give them something like a low-cost gift voucher, rather than a more significant gift?

5 replies

Latest activity by Ariane, 9 of September of 2024 at 17:58
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I think that is totally fine. (It's also ok to state that you will be doing your own hair and makeup - if the bride wants you to use a professional, then she should pay for it).

Good friends will want you there for your support, not for what gift they get out of you.

• N
    Beginner October 2024 Cumbria
    Nic ·
    • Hide content
    Honestly I expect nothing from my bridesmaids. I have paid for their hair, makeup, dresses alterations and flowers. But honestly they have been there through the whole process. I couldn’t of done it without them. The greatest gift is them 🤗
    Our wedding is on a Thursday so while I’ve bought outfits and paid for night before accommodation they’ve still had to travel there, pay accommodation night of the event and take time off. What about doing a reading in their ceremony or a speech, to me that in itself would be an amazing gift 🤗
  • A
    Beginner November 2025 Bristol
    Aimee ·
    • Hide content

That sounds perfectly reasonable.

Weddings are expensive for the couple getting married, but they can also be expensive for guests.

• Sie
    Beginner November 2025 Essex
    Sie ·
    • Hide content
    I've told my bridesmaids not to give anything - being my bridesmaids is gift enough.
    Ive paid for their outfits - they are my daughter, my two granddaughters and my best friend. I couldn't ask for more xx

I doubt your friend will expect much as you being her bridesmaid will be more important to her xx
  • Ariane
    Beginner April 2025 East Central London
    Ariane ·
    • Hide content
    I think that is completely reasonable. I was a bridesmaid for the last wedding I went to and as I had to pay for a fair amount of things i wasn't sure what to give either. I had a look online and found out Hitched has their own calculator which was verh helpful

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics