Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner April 2012

Maid of Honour in the UK, and a Bridesmaid and a Flower Girl in South Africa

chilihead, 28 April, 2011 at 14:37 Posted on Planning 0 2

Hi everyone.

I'm a newbie to this forum, and am getting married next Feb in South Africa.

I would really like my two bridesmaids and my flower girl to have matching dresses, but am having a nightmare sorting this as two are in South Africa and one is in the UK.

I've found "foreverbridals.com".......which has stockists in Cape Town and throughout the UK - however, the bridesmaids and their families are based in Johannesburg. (Joberg is a good 18 hours drive away from Cape Town. Both bridesmaids are studying so don't really want to have to ask them to take time off from their studies for fittings).

I've checked department stores in the UK that ship to South Africa (John Lewis/Dorothy Perkins/Next) - but am having a problem finding a flower girl dress to match any bridesmaid dresses I like. Not to mention export charges. Hmmmph.

A possible option is to get the UK based Maid of Honours dress sorted first, then get someone in SA to buy the other 2 dresses in the same colour - but, I really would like the three dresses to match in style, colour and material.

The thought of ordering all three in the UK and shipping 2 out to SA freaks me out due to the sheer cost of shipping, insurance, possible damage to the dresses in transit, loss etc.

Help!! Has anyone had similar experiences? Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks

chilihead

2 replies

Latest activity by Saisi, 28 April, 2011 at 15:10
  • Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

If it was me, I'd be getting a pattern so the girls can find their own seamstress to make their dresses. It won't be any more expensive than what bridal stores charge for bridesmaid dresses. Then you can dictate style and colour.

Your flower girl is obviously going to have a different dress so I don't see the issue with it needing to "match"... you can probably get the same colour, and maybe get it altered with matching embellishments to tie it in. Often flower girls are in white/ivory to match the bride anyway. I know you want the same, but what fits a 5-year-old is going to look totally different on a 20-year-old with breasts! That's probably why you're having an issue finding flower girl dresses the same as adult bridesmaid dresses.

• C
    Beginner April 2012
    chilihead ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the response. I have just found a line - Eden Bridals - that has stockists in Pretoria and Surrey.

Perhaps I should have been more specific about my terminology - when I said "flower girl" - she is actually 12 and my youngest bridesmaid, hence my wish for a matching dress, but with a slightly different style more suited to her age.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

Ahhh... what you want is called a "junior bridesmaid" style (sometimes "teen(age) bridesmaid"). That might help you in your search if Eden Bridals doesn't work out!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics