Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Cheeky_pie
Beginner August 2011

Maiden names to new surnames

Cheeky_pie, 15 of October of 2010 at 14:28 Posted on Planning 0 54

My maiden name is Hunter and i am having issues in giving it up! I will become Joleen Shaw when i get married. Just got me thinking what is everyone called nowand then what will you be called after!!! Does any one else feel like they are losing their identity!??

54 replies

Latest activity by Ben, 7 of May of 2021 at 17:12
  • slinkysarah
    Beginner June 2011
    slinkysarah ·
    • Hide content

I can't wait to get rid of my name I hate it!

• KristaltippsHall
    Beginner February 2011
    KristaltippsHall ·
    • Hide content

I'm a Wells and will be becoming a Hall. Its not really that much different but it is a strange feeling. The upshot is that I will finally have the same surname as my little girls.

p.s. Joleen is an awesome name!

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content

I dont think its a matter of losing ones identity, I cant wait to carry my H2B's name, I will be proud to bear his surname.

I'm a Squires at the moment and when we get married my surname will be Hobbins.

• sameeraraaa
    Beginner November 2010
    sameeraraaa ·
    • Hide content

I do feel a bit sad yes! dont get me wrong am REALLY excited to be having my husband to bes surname but i will be sad. I'm currently Sameera Westcott but will be changing To Sameera Casson so its not that bad xxx

• CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content

I will go from Stoneman to Jones! I was miffed to have such a popular new surname at first and thought of joining the two and then decided against it. I dont see it as losing my identity, rather creating a new one

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Lol i have said this to my h2b!!! its not that im losing my identity, but my family name...il have no kids yet so il be creating a wholenew fmaily i know...but its a weird feeling....il be going from Page to Nicholls...but there were no other 'Pages' when i was gorwing up (my dad came form Birmingham and wer Suffolk) so it was 'cool' to me and my little brother

its sad at the same time as being exciting but know where you are coming from!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Oooh, are you Ipswich, flowmojo? What school did you go to? My mother still teaches in Ipswich!

• Frizzball
    Beginner October 2010
    Frizzball ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Me too I will be going from Clara Gensberg to Clara Kemp I cant wait to only have to correct people on one of my names

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Reallly CB!? small world hey Smiley smile

i went to school in Stowmarket not Ipswich, but OH went to Halifax Primary and then onto Stoke High School both Ipswich!

Where does she teach!? Are u not Ipswich then?

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I don't like the thought of not being one of my family anymore - so I didn't want to give up my name but me and OH came to an arrangement.

He gets to chose the name of our first son (if we are lucky enough to have one) and if we are luckily enough to have a second we will call it my Maiden name as his first name (as I know someone who has my last name as first name it kind of works well).

• Cheeky_pie
    Beginner August 2011
    Cheeky_pie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks ? . I wast too keen on it growing up but i love how original it is! I dont know another Joleen.

So many people here think of changing their name really positivley. I do sometimes feel sad though cause i am losing that link to my family name!! Plus my dad only ever had 5 daughters so our family name ends after him!!! I am excited about becoming mrs shaw though!!!!!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

She teaches at Copleston! We live in London but I so head over to Ipswich fairly frequently.

• avintagebride
    Beginner March 2012
    avintagebride ·
    • Hide content

I will be going from Hatfield to Hakami. Can't wait to start spelling it out and teaching the pronuncation to everyone, I already have a nightmare with our son!

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Ahh copleston!! wow!

ha i lived in london for a while too when i left ipswich for a while....but missed the countryside lol

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

It will be really weird for me having gone through almost 30 years of the mispronunciations, and the mispelling of my sir name - Ill be leaving Claire Gouldthorp behind and welcoming Claire Lee, talk about contrast.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Just you wait, Claire... Lee, Lea, Leigh, he he!

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

Lol I know, just my luck!

• D
    Beginner
    darkivy ·
    • Hide content

Currently Reed and will be Black.

Am hoping I won't have to spell my surname all the time any more....oh is that Reed with an 'ea'? No. With an 'ei'? No....and so it goes on. Just Black 'as in the colour'!

x

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

We are double barrelling, but will have to both change it instead of one by deed poll - i said it wasnt fair that just the one had to change it!! going to be a Kelso-Cain...how very lahdy dah! ?

• grace85
    Beginner February 2011
    grace85 ·
    • Hide content

I still feel kinda strange about changing my name.

I shall go from a Matthews to a Cottrell.

My family is quite big so on invites and christmas cards etc people just "The Matthews's" so sometimes i feel like i won't be included in that anymore.

• C
    Beginner July 2011
    cassmk2 ·
    • Hide content

I will be going from Tuck to Warn. I am looking forward to being Mrs but i have to say i am sad to lose my name. Which is really odd as i have always hated my surname. We talked about double barreled names but it doesn't really work unfortunately. OH said i will always be his 'Tucky' anyway lol

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

My maiden name is the same first name as my htb. I will be changing and i think keeping my surname in their somewherebut not double barreling it, if that makes sense. What is annoying me is changing to a Mrs...i want to but going from Miss Martin..young sexy lol to Mrs Macleod makes me feel a bit old. I can't wait to have the same surname as my son though.

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

I will be going from Wale to Potter, if I decide to change it. Kind of undecided at the mo.

Have already had people ask "if your new baby is a boy, will you call him Harry?" ?

• grace85
    Beginner February 2011
    grace85 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is actually something i would do, lol, my children are going to hate me, ha ha!!

• helsbels35
    Beginner
    helsbels35 ·
    • Hide content

Il be going from a Bush (as in the ex president! ha) to a Kapala.

I am really excited to be changing my name but really sad to lose my maiden name, theres only one other male in my family (my cousin) who can carry our name on and with losing dad a couple of months ago I guess I feel like im losing even more...

Its a shame they arnt names that could be double barrelled!

• Kooks
    Beginner September 2011
    Kooks ·
    • Hide content

I hate my surname and can't wait to be rid of it - my new surname is double barrelled (OH's name is double barrelled already, we're not merging ours) Looking forward to it!

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

I only reclaimed my maiden name last year! I'll be changing my name legally - as in passport & driving license, but I'll keep my name at work - it's just too much hassle to explain why I've had 3 names in 5 years.

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

I really really like the idea of OH and I having the same surname. However, i don't like his name ☹️ I know that's really mean, but it's true! Does anyone like the name "Dilley"?

I really love my surname because a) it's lovely b) I can spell it easily by saying "like the county" c) It connects me to my Dad, who died 10 years ago

Does anyone think that "Cornwall-Dilley" sounds daft?

• Kooks
    Beginner September 2011
    Kooks ·
    • Hide content

I think Dilley's alright - just a bit unfortunate that it rhymes with silly!

Cornwall-Dilley sounds nice. What does your OH think?

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The hugest shame of all is that I really love the girl's name "Lilly"!!!!! I promise that's not a joke!

??

• charliebird7
    Beginner March 2012
    charliebird7 ·
    • Hide content

I can't wait to have the same surname as my boys. I already get called Mrs R anyway so I don't think it will feel that different. x

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

You are all very trusting, revealing your real and new names on the web..................

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics