Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Cheeky_pie
Beginner August 2011

Maiden names to new surnames

Cheeky_pie, 15 of October of 2010 at 14:28

Posted on Planning 54

My maiden name is Hunter and i am having issues in giving it up! I will become Joleen Shaw when i get married. Just got me thinking what is everyone called nowand then what will you be called after!!! Does any one else feel like they are losing their identity!??

My maiden name is Hunter and i am having issues in giving it up! I will become Joleen Shaw when i get married. Just got me thinking what is everyone called nowand then what will you be called after!!! Does any one else feel like they are losing their identity!??

54 replies

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do you think that people can do a lot with names? I'm quite naive about stuff like this...

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Google and Hitched are best friends....

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

I'll be going from one name people can never spell.. To another that people can never spell just by hearing them.

I will be sad that I wont have the same name as my Dad anymore. My Sister is married so has a different surname to me, my Mum changed her name by deedpoll back to her maiden name after she divorced my Dad so I'm feeling sad that we'll all have different surnames now.

I've always been a Daddy's girl so it's quite sad. H2B will not allow a double barrelled name under any circumstances; although it's only a joke that I suggest it.. I wouldn't want a long name, I've taught kids how to write their names, double-barrelled names are hard for them lol.

Very excited to be an official part of H2B's family though, I love his Mum so much, she's amazing and I'll have to live up to having her name now.. plus Grandma's! (Who also lives with H2Bs parents). There will be 3 Mrs P's! Smiley smile

• sarahb3426
    Beginner June 2012
    sarahb3426 ·
    • Hide content

Am a Brimble now and will be going to a Shorrock.

I hadn't thought too much about it really until someone wrote on my facebook the other day "hello future Mrs Shorrock" and it sounded really strange!

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Meh, I'm not so much trusting as I am fairly certain I have nothing to hide. How much could someone really do just by knowing my name and having google at their fingertips?

O/T but has anyone ever tried googling their own names? It's fascinating! There's loads of other me's - many more successful and wealthy than I am :/

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to changing my name. At the moment I associate my name with a lot of family heartache and sadness (long story), but h2b's family are wonderful and I can't wait to have a name that means something more positive to me. That, and it's a lovely Italian name. I'm currently a Whitney but will become a Pancheri. Whoop!

• L
    Beginner December 2010
    littlepixie1977 ·
    • Hide content

Hiya,

Newbie here, I'm going from Blackmore to Jobber, I've gotta be careful about our childrens names lol!!!

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content

I am going from Miss R to Mrs R. Different surnames but at least I'll still have the same initials lol!

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have lots to hide.. Namely my wedding plans!!

• froggy29400
    Beginner October 2010
    froggy29400 ·
    • Hide content

I know what you mean, I have a foreign name, which is part of my identity, and I'm going to have a traditional English name after the wedding. I'm really looking forward to it as it will make my life much easier and I'll be proud of it, but there's a little part of me feeling a bit nostalgic.

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

Im going from Miss Bass to Mrs Bass!

Teehee this isnt the 1st time you've reminded me that its not just the lovely Hitched folks who can read this!!

im quite happy about changinf my name, its going to be weird changinf my names after 27 years! i think it will be stranger becoming a Mrs!!!

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Just lookin out for folks, thats all..

• kj82
    Beginner December 2010
    kj82 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am that sad that I just did that and OMG, am the only one who never knew about 192.com??? I've just found my name, address and the names of the other people who lived in the house share!!! How is that allowed?????????

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content

I am looking forward to taking my H2B's name, as my current surname is actually my first husband's. We divorced in 2006 and it was easier to keep it - less expense and faff to change back, at work I was known as that and my ex didn't mind me keeping the name. It's an italian name (my ex's Dad was Italian) but even my Romanian maiden name was similar to that, if not worse to pronounce so I stayed with ex's name. But I like my OH's surname and will enjoy being Mrs O!

• jenny18/11/11
    Rockstar November 2011
    jenny18/11/11 ·
    • Hide content

I am struggling to get used to the idea at the moment tbh.

My OH is great, and has said I don't have to change my name if I don't want to - I am going, because even though I know he would never expect or demand that I change it, I know it would mean a lot to him if I did.

It's not that there's anything particularly special about my name (we both have relatively common surnames), or even a particular attachment to my "family" name. I guess the latter may feel a bit strange, as my mother's maiden name was the same surname as my father (so all she had to change was from being a "Miss H" to "Mrs H"), so that's I guess because we are “the H’s” on both my mum and my dad’s of the family that may be a little weird. But then my married aunties and cousins will still always include themselves when referring to the family name, so it’s not like I won’t feel “part of the family” still.

I think it's just the case that I prefer my own surname. No real reason, I just think it sounds nicer. And I also think my first name sounds a little silly with the new surname for some reason. It sounds a little less silly if I use my full name - but then I absolutely HATE being called Jennifer, so I don't see that as being a solution.

Double-barrelling isn't an option, as with two such common surnames it sounds a bit daft, and in any case I've got three christian names as it is so I'd get cramp every time I had to fill a form out! I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I am a bit sad at the prospect of losing "my" name.

• Ixia
    Beginner
    Ixia ·
    • Hide content

I'm looking forward to changing my surname, in that I will no longer need to spell it to people. My surname is Olver, and the number of variations I have come across is amazing, even after I have spelt it to people! On the other hand it is unusual, so I will miss it in that sense.

• Kooks
    Beginner September 2011
    Kooks ·
    • Hide content

I purposely didn't give mine because they are so unusual (especially my married name)... is a little worrying thinking who else might read our threads x

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's why I didn't give mine!

• Fcerrino
    Beginner May 2011
    Fcerrino ·
    • Hide content

I'm going from Cerrino to Izschak. wierd and wonderful Italian to East European! cant wait to change to a cool signature!

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's what I'm looking forward to... My signature's really boring eg it's just me writing my name but I could do something really flamboyant in 2012!!!

• MrsRegantobe
    Beginner November 2010
    MrsRegantobe ·
    • Hide content

I was in two minds also as my dad passed away and I feel like im cheating him abit taking my H2B's name, yet I have a brother and nephew who will carry the name on so I don't feel so bad about taking H2B's name now. Cox to Regan I think i'm trading up! LOL

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

I'm more than happy to take OH's surname. It sounds silly, but I don't like the way the a of my first name clashes with the A of my surname. It sounds funny to my ears. Plus, I was always first alphabetically for everything in school - singing demo, TB inoculation etc. I so wanted my surname to begin with Z!!!

However, OH threw a spanner in the works by saying he would like to take my name when we marry. He doesn't get on with his father and therefore doesn't want to pass on the name to me (he said being Mrs G..... is a curse) or any children we have.

• Mynnie the Moocher
    Beginner May 2011
    Mynnie the Moocher ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

]

Nope, I had no idea! I'm always really careful not to give out too much information on here - I've seen too many people very badly stung over the years - but I had no idea that 192.com existed.

How on earth can it have information that I have asked BT and my local counci not to publish? I am ex-directory and I am not published on the electoral roll, so how can my information be on there? And more to the point, how can I get it off??

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics