Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner May 2013

Make up advice needed - best foundation?

lady_chicken2, 4 of April of 2013 at 15:26 Posted on Planning 0 23

Hi everyone

Just wondered what foundation everyone would recommend to last all day? i like a good full coverage with a matte finish but not sure what brand etc is best.

Also any times on eye make up ideas. i only ever wear mascara on my top lashes and a bit of like beige eye shadow. no eyeliner or anything so some ideas for my eyes would be great too

thanks in advance x

23 replies

Latest activity by jonesy10, 6 of April of 2013 at 22:15
  • B
    Beginner January 2012
    Butterfly2014 ·
    • Hide content

I've always used MAC as it gives a good coverage (you can build it up as much as you want using a brush) and the ladies in the shop will match your skin colour.

But primer is also key to making it last all day. Both MAC and Estee Lauder have a good primer! x

• L
    Beginner May 2013
    lady_chicken2 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Butterfly, im thinking of booking a make up lesson at MAC. Have you ever done this? dont want to look like a drag queen lol

• FlickAndZeb
    Beginner September 2013
    FlickAndZeb ·
    • Hide content

I second MAC!!! It is on the pricey side but well worth it on your special day. 3 colours Smiley smile Start with 'toast' and chose a lighter and a darker shade to compliment your skin colour.

I think if you usually wear very little make up then there is no need to pile it on just because it's your wedding day. I'd try looking at ways to contour your eyes with a highlighter (matte/satin finish) and a low light (matte finish) rather than using a completely different colour Smiley smile

Also with foundation and especially around the eye area if you have dark circles that look purple, use a product with a yellow tint, red eyes, green tint.. Think colour wheel opposites. I know this sounds mad but trust me lol xXx

• B
    Beginner January 2012
    Butterfly2014 ·
    • Hide content

I haven't done the lesson as my friend is a MAC artist. I've heard they are good though - do you mean where you pay £25, they do your makeup and then you get to use the £25 on products?

I would say to them that you're practicing looks for your wedding, take a photo in (maybe use Pinterest or magazines for ideas) and tell them that you want full coverage but to look as natural as possible. Then ask them to talk through what they are doing x

• Honky
    Beginner October 2013
    Honky ·
    • Hide content

I love the Clinique one off the advert with the egg, I find the coverage excellent and it lasts all day.

Collection 2000 (*gasp*) do the best eyeliner, It's £2.00 and really easy to use, even for make-up nethanderals like me!

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

Be careful with any products which have shimmer, or claim to "reflect light" - these can make you look ghostlike in your photos! Here's a bit more info (as I'm not an expert!) https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/1850/makeup-and-flash-photography

• suzysimpson
    Beginner August 2013
    suzysimpson ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My MUA told me not to use any sunscreen or makeup with SPF in it as SPF reflects light and has the same effect as the shimmer or light reflecting stuff mentioned above! If it's sunny she just says to stay in the shade or buy a bridal parasol (which I was going to do anyway in case of rain).

Regarding foundation, I swear by Bobbi Brown. I used to use MAC but they changed the formulation of the long wear foundation a few years ago and the new formula gives me spots Smiley sad

Bobbi Brown will do a free bridal make up lesson (I went to House of Fraser in Leeds) and I've found that really useful. I use their longwear foundation usually, which does last all day - only cleanser removes it! - but for the wedding I'll be using the stick foundation applied with a brush to layer up coverage. The stick foundation doesn't have SPF and won't make me look like a ghost in photos Smiley smile

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation lasts all day and night without any trouble - can highly recommend it as I've used it myself for donkey's years! Next time you're in Boots, ask for a sample at their counter. They are very good at giving samples out Smiley smile

• flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content

I second Clinique, matches skintone well, can build up coverage and is the best foundation I have ever used.

There are lots of eyeliner tricks on Pinterest. I really recommend Lauren Conrad's beauty book, loads if tips and step by step tutorials in there for all different skintones.

• Mrs*M
    Beginner August 2013
    Mrs*M ·
    • Hide content

I love the Clinique one too, I used to use MAC but my skin doesn't like it. I use the Clinique even better foundation and its lovely.

I also use Estée Lauder double wear and that is really good too, doesn't budge all day.

• L
    Beginner May 2013
    lady_chicken2 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all of the replies.

Im off to london on saturday so may well pop into selfridges and see what i can find.

so excited to buy myself some nice fancy make up :-)

• Rhoslyn
    Beginner July 2013
    Rhoslyn ·
    • Hide content

I'm a benefit girl- they do fab make-up. They do a set to try out their make-up stuff. It's got primer, foundation, concealer and powder for £24- it's well worth a try- I've had loads of compliments since I've been using it.

xx

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I was recommended estee lauder double wear and I love it- still use it now. My MUA also used benefit porefessional and then used a setting spray from MAC to make all of my make up last all day.

• C
    Rockstar August 2013
    cherrybloom ·
    • Hide content

I usually use MAC but started using the YSL Touche Eclat foundation, first liquid one I have used ever and love it!

• G
    Beginner April 2014
    Gumibear85 ·
    • Hide content

I always use Avon 'Ideal shade' minerals.

After using minerals I would never go back to a liquid foundation. It is so light on the skin that it doesnt end up feeling or looking 'claggy' Its almost like your skin can still breath through it.

Plus it covers all blemishes and spots! I'm not going to lie - I dont have great skin... but with the minerals my skin looks perfect!

Maybe try going into to some of the big department stores and asking for some samples? Or looking on line and see who offers free samples.... you could maybe try a few out for yourself first?

i think everyones skin is different... there are some foundations my friends swear by... but i have tried them and they just dont look good on me!

• M
    Beginner September 2013
    morristobe ·
    • Hide content

I'd go into your local department store, Debenhams or something and ask them to try a foundation on you (most will do it for free if you ask) or you can ask for a free sample and apply it in the morning and see how it wears. Go round all the make up counters and see which you prefer x

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

As great as Touche Eclat is, this is one of the worst with flash photography so I wouldn't use it on your wedding day http://hollyarabella.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/yves-saint-laurent-le-teint-touche.html

• S
    Beginner April 2013
    Sarald ·
    • Hide content

Hi Smiley smile

i have most things in my make up 'kit' .

i swear the best primer in he whole world is the Laura Mercier 'radiance' , it will provide you with a perfect skin before putting our foundation on. I use double wear over it and it stays until I remove it !! The primer stops it being to heavy or cakey and it holds it in place. I would sooo recommend you have a look at it . Also i use a stippling brush to put this liquid foundation on.

I'd have a look at http://www.lisaeldridge.com/

she is fabulous for tips etc Smiley smile

good luck xx

• *Munchkin*
    Beginner October 2013
    *Munchkin* ·
    • Hide content

I'm currently in the process of trying different make up for my wedding, and have had mixed results.

Estee Lauder Double Wear is amazing for its longevity, but does contain titanium dioxide, so can 'ghost' in photographs if the flash is used in a certain way. The lady at the Estee Lauder counter said she wouldn't recommend it for a wedding or other occasion where a lot of photographs were planned for this reason - although I've seen wedding photographs where brides have used it and looked lovely. I'm not risking it as we're getting married fairly late in the day during the autumn, so flash will most likely be needed for many of the photos.

Double Wear Light, however, does not contain the titanium dioxide, but has a more buildable coverage. I can't get it in a colour quite light enough, but they seem to have a fairly decent range of shades and it feels nice on the skin.

I've been recommended Dior Forever, but haven't tried it yet.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

I quite like Rimmel.

MAC is too yellow for my skin.

• SingleNoMore
    Beginner April 2013
    SingleNoMore ·
    • Hide content

Another +1 for Clinique Even Better foundation. I've used it for ages and love it. Go have a makeover at Clinique they're great and do some really good stuff!

My eye make-up is MAC but skin stuff is Clinique.

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I use Bare Minerals and just like Gumibear couldn't imagine using anything else now. I wear it most days and can't tell I'm wearing anything it's so light. It looks good, lasts well and because it's powder it's easy to touch up as you need to.

• Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB)
    Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB) ·
    • Hide content

I can highly recommend dior Forever foundation. It's a beautiful foundation that's natural on the skin but really covers. It's sweatproof and waterproof and looks incredible on camera. Juliet

J x

• J
    Beginner May 2013
    jonesy10 ·
    • Hide content

I am using all Benefit products, they feel very light and natural

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics