Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F
Beginner July 2013

Make up/sun cream dilemma...advice?

feehendo11, 15 of July of 2013 at 18:11 Posted on Planning 0 12

My wedding is on Saturday, and so far the weather forecast is predicting 27 degrees! Which is nice, but I'm a pale redhead and I sunburn incredibly easily! I don't usually wear make up day to day so didn't really want to pay to have my face caked as it's not really me, so I'm just wearing a natural foundation/powder/bit of blusher. The only thing is I have no idea about wearing sun cream under make up, as sun cream does tend to be really greasy (especially when you have to wear factor 50!) and I'm worried about my make up sliding off my face haha! I have absolutely no experience combining the two whatsoever! I don't want to stay inside all day and not enjoy the beautiful sunshine and the grounds! But equally I don't want to start my honeymoon burnt to a crisp! Any ideas? The other thing is I don't really want to smell of eu de soltan, anyone know of reasonably subtle-smelling suncream? Should maybe have gone for an autumn wedding haha!

12 replies

Latest activity by Lemon Violet, 16 of July of 2013 at 13:50
  • *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

I usually have quite oily skin especially on my forehead and I always get sweaty when its too hot. It's been scorching here though and recently I thought i'd try putting some under my make up and its been great, I rubbed it in for ages and my foundation went on lovely and smooth and it doesn't smell strong at all. I use nivea factor 50 swim n play (kids) and its been greatso far Smiley smile

• G
    Beginner June 2014
    Grumps ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do you have a Debenhams / John Lewis / House of Fraser nearby? You could have a free make-up trial, explain your predicament, and see what advice you get. A lot of foundations already have some sun protection, but I can't think of any that stretch to factor 50 (but they might!).

• suzysimpson
    Beginner August 2013
    suzysimpson ·
    • Hide content

Clinique Super City Block! It's amazing! Blocks everything, goes on super sheer and is non oily, I wear it under make up every day and never have an issue. (I have oily sensitive skin.) Oh and it has no smell or texture and absorbs really easily. You won't notice you're wearing it and it lasts for ages. It is expensive but so worth it. If you're not sure you could ask if they'd give you a sample?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

The BB cream I use (moisturiser/primer/mattifier blah blah) is SPF 30. It's a Maybelline one. Might not be high enough an SPF?

• S108HAN
    Beginner August 2013
    S108HAN ·
    • Hide content

I'm very pale skinned but was out in the sun all day yesterday and didn't burn at all. I was wearing Factor 50, Johnsons moisturiser (the stuff that tans you gradually when you apply it everyday) and my normal Mica minerals foundation and concealer. It worked really well.

• havecreditwillwed
    Beginner August 2013
    havecreditwillwed ·
    • Hide content

OOOOh I think that the City Block suggestion is probably a good one! I just looked at it on their website and it goes to factor 40, I might try it myself! Says it is £17 which I don;t think is too bad.

I have very very sensitive skin and this week I have been using a factor 50 No.7 cream I bought in boots, it is a smallish fat tube that comes in a box, and it is called dark spot preventer or something like that. I liked it on my skin but it was a bit greasy and i didnt try to put makeup over it....

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

I'm naturally a redhead too with very pale skin and freckles - I burn like a lobster! I use Bare Minerals foundation which has an SPF of 15 - it's a powder form so no shine and it feels so light you don't know you've got it on. It makes it really easy to touch up too. I know it's not factor 50 but it always does the trick for me and I'm sure there are other good foundations or moisturisers with a higher SPF built in.

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

I was going to suggest a BB cream too. I'm also a redhead and have been using a rimmel one which is factor 25 I think, along with my moisturiser which again is 25 and I haven't burnt at all this summer. I also find the BB's don't melt off the same way foundation does and with a little powder I'm shine free all day even in this heat.

• F
    Beginner July 2013
    feehendo11 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the advice! Think I will pop into boots tomorrow and investigate some BB creams (I had never heard of these previously!) with a decent SPF, I could definitely wear 30 as I won't be outside all day. Just have to get one that's pale enough! Then I guess I can just wear some powder over the top and that should work fine!

• G
    Beginner August 2013
    golden ·
    • Hide content

I am a redhead too. For your photos you will be exposed to most sun (unless your do is outdoors?). So try the SPF30 foundations (but not a tan developer as they produce freckle patches if you really don't ever tan). That gives you about 30x as long as it takes to burn (so a mere 30 mins probably if you're like me). Touch up quickly across nose forehead chin and decollatage before photos. Then you should be good for brief five min forays outdoors at reception etc.

• suzysimpson
    Beginner August 2013
    suzysimpson ·
    • Hide content

Just be careful with BB creams and foundation with SPF, as they usually only block UVB, not UVA. Clinique City Block stops everything! Whatever you get make sure to try it out with your make up before your big day. Good luck Smiley smile

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

Your question has probably already been answered but I have the problem of greasy skin and hate putting normal sun cream on it because I feel like a grease ball. I bought some face specific sun cream last time I went away. It was factor 50 and was designed to be less greasy. I think it was a boots soltan on. It was much nicer on my skin.

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Try Bare Minerals. They do a sun powder like their mineral foundation. Chat to the girls at a counter in John Lewis or Debenhams, they are so helpful. Use a primer under make up and it will help it stay and dust top with mineral veil to seal for day.

Lynne

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics