Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner August 2014

Makeup & Hair Trial No Good but they have my Deposit!

CristaMB, 14 of September of 2014 at 12:20 Posted on Planning 0 14

Hi,

I can't believe this is happening to me! I'm getting married in Mellington Hall, Powys, far away from my home (so that my grandparents can attend) in less than 2 weeks. I was recommended a nearby hairdressers who normally do hair & wedding makeup for brides at the Hall.

On the day I attended, the charge had inexplicably gone up by £10. They only had minimal makeup - and no high-end products. I would have to get my own supplies of the makeup they didn't have, (for example, they didn't even have grey eyeshadow). The girl confessed she wasn't very good with eyeliner (and this was evident) and couldn't attach false eyelashes, but assured me that the owner who was away that day, would be able to.

For the hair, they tried a couple of upstyles. Then they got to the style I most wanted: 1940's long curls. They tried to set my hair in heated rollers but I explained that this never takes on my hair and it didn't this time, so they said that on the day they would use straighteners to do the curls. I explained that my hairdresser has tried this and literally only curling tongues do the job on my hair.

They said they DON'T HAVE CURLING TONGUES! Well, they have a thin one, but not a big-curl one, which is the type they would need. They told me I would have to get my own!

I'm so disappointed. I wanted a professional to do my makeup because I expected they would be better at eyeliner and have the high-end, stay-put products, so I wouldn't have to fork-out for them myself.

And is it too much to ask that a hairdresser have large barrelled curling tongues???!! Is it normal to have to buy your own and pay someone to use it?

I've paid them a deposit to do my hair and makeup now so I'm either stuck with them, or I lose my deposit and try to find someone else in the area (I don't think there is anyone else!)

What should I do?!!! ☹️

14 replies

Latest activity by overtherainbow, 20 of September of 2014 at 13:35
  • sweetlikechocolate
    Dedicated May 2016
    sweetlikechocolate ·
    • Hide content

It sounds like you could do a better job yourself. If I was in your position I would not trust them to get it right on the day so I would cancel even if it meant losing my deposit, but I woukd try to get the deposit back by explaining the above and that if they dont have the tools to do the look you want that is their fault not yours so only fair you get back your money. I would look for a new makeup and hair person asap.

• R
    Rowchelly ·
    • Hide content

This is absolutely not on at all. Unfortunately this is sometimes the case when you go to a salon that does makeup rather than get a professional makeup artist. Often people in salons have little, if any, makeup training or experience and the fact that they have so little products is bad too. I have over £5k worth of products in my makeup kit and every shade of makeup you can imagine.

I would ask for your deposit back as you were not happy with the trial and they weren't able to provide the service you've paid for. Start looking around for a professional MUA to come to the venue. I'm afraid I can't help with hair though, I know nothing about hair.

• MrsCWB
    Beginner October 2014
    MrsCWB ·
    • Hide content

Have a google! There might be a mobile hair and make up artist in the area that can come to you where you're staying. They might travel from the next town over or something. I would definitely cancel with the people you have booked and explain to them the reasons why. I would ask them for the deposit back too as it's not you're fault that they're not able to provide the service you paid for.

x

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I suggest you ask your photographer for help. You need to find a professional hair & makeup artist and the photographer should know some local ones (if they are local). If not, they will be able to help you find someone anyway.

I think you should ask the shop for your deposit back, on the grounds that the service you booked (professional hair & makeup) is not available and was not actually a service they could offer. They accepted a booking for a service they did not have the experience or equipment to provide.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Sounds like you need to email them (so that its in writing) stating everything above, and that on those grounds you want your deposit back because they can't provide the service. Get googling for a replacement, or do it yourself!

• Steph Baxter
    Beginner October 2014
    Steph Baxter ·
    • Hide content

I agree with MrsSteptobe, email then so you will have a paper trail, stating everything you wrote on here, that basically they don't have the tools for the job. request they give yu your deposit back as they didn't do what they promised to do, then do what I did ths morning, went to Boots, got a makeover there, which looked beautiful, after my horrendous makeup trail yesterday, and do your own makeup, sounds like you'll do a much better job.

good luck

xx

• C
    Beginner August 2014
    CristaMB ·
    • Hide content

I guess what's happening to me is a warning to any brides gettin married in a remote-ish area far away from their home. I dont' have the time to find someone else & go all the way back there for another MUA-trial (& I don't want to fork out another £80 in petrol!). So I guess I'm doing my own makeup. Arrrrggghhh!

I've had a go at it and it doesn't seem too hard (but right now my hands aren't shaking with nerves like they might be on the day! & it did take me over 2 hours!)

I got a free sample of Dior foundation to use on the day. I'd bought some Urban Decay but it was too yellow when I got it home - really good for my dry skin though.

I've also found an eyeliner that seems to STAY on the waterline! (Never found that before!). Also bought some of that Urban Decay setting spray that one of you wrote about! Thanks for advice!

Have read that egg whites on eyes tightens the area temporarily?? Might try that! Got some serum too. The reason serums blur wrinkles is usually because of a silicon content so it might not be good to use before moisturizer (would block moisturizer from getting in?!). I'm finding if I put it on top of makeup when the lines show through it blurs them right out!

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

Don't worry about doing your own make-up! Just practice, practice, practice. MUAs don't use magic mystery potions and lotions, so you are not missing out on something there.

Apply your make-up in natural light (beside your window with the light streaming in) and then photograph yourself in various lights. Outside, inside, under low light, with flash etc.

I love Urban Decay, you have a made great choices there Smiley smile

I would recommend looking at some make-up tutorials on Youtube, because some of the MUAs do tell you about the 'technical' side of things and tips for great application. It's good stuff to learn and know, and will boost your confidence with applying your own Smiley smile

Good Luck!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I too am getting married far away from home and cos of the impracticality of getting a trial with an MUA I decided pretty early on that I'd do my own makeup. Since then I've been voraciously reading, researching and testing products. I echo everything HMM has said - watch tutorials and practice! Since starting this I've learned to apply my foundation with a damp sponge, which sounds ridiculously simple, but I had just never been shown how to before - it looks SO much better. I can't believe I'm 39 and only just learning this stuff!

Here is a great article on how to look good in photos:

https://hellogiggles.com/beauty/

• S
    Beginner September 2015
    Sevenyearhitched ·
    • Hide content

Did you ask for your money back. If im not happy I always make a point of complaining. Things will never improve if we don't.

Id ring them up and Introduce myself and the situation and what happened.

Then I'd tell them that I was not happy.

Id repeat again , everything that went wrong or what was lacking and repeat

Im not happy.

Then what you would like.

Id like my deposit back.

Im like a terrier with a bone.

I keep on and on until I wear them down and get a result!

I don't raise my voice or swear ( not that I think you would ) sometime I make a bit of a black joke but not in a happy voice...firm and dead pan all the way

Eg whatever comes to mind...a panda with smudged rings round it's eyes looked better than I did when she finished with me!

Good luck you can do it!

• C
    Beginner August 2014
    CristaMB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the beauty tips link InkedDoll. I haven't tried a damp sponge yet. Hmmm. But yeah, I've only just discovered the trick of using a sponge instead of fingers! I've been for several trials at makeup counters in places like Debenhams to get tips. Whenever they used a foundation brush I was left with brush marks. A sponge is much better Smiley smile

That's great Sevenyearhitched. Thanks for that. It will come in useful in the future because I never know what to say in these kinds of situations! I always try to please people instead.

However, with this one, it's too late for me to get another hair person (they were going to do my hair and my makeup) and I really can't do my hair myself, so I can't ask for my deposit back. My sister (bridesmaid) is as crap as me with hair, so we still need this woman to do our hair and there's no one else who can help us on the day. Sheesh!

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

What a nightmare and stressful. It's easy for us to say but you do need to tell her of the problems. If it's the owner who will be doing it then speak with her and tell her your concerns including the price hike. Tell her, constructively of course, that you've decided to your own make up after getting some lessons and that you were disappointed at the lack of choice they offered and the lack of skills evident on the day of the trial, so you'd just like her to do your hair. The deposit should then stand against that. That she uses straighteners to do curls is not unusual now as many do and often have just small tongues for tight curls. If you specifically want her to use large barrel tongues then you might have to get some and sell them on after, or do you have some. I'm taking my hot rollers as my hair dresser doesn't have any but I don't mind.

If there are specific make up products that you want then it's fair that you provide them but it's reasonable that they offer a good range of high end products first and that's something else you could say.

It might be that the owner is much better and if she's the one doing your hair etc you really should have had the trial with her otherwise what's the point? We're you expecting to have her do both or was there a reason why it was someone else who did the trial? Again, that's something you could mention.

You're in the same boat as me, getting married miles away where there's very little choice so I feel for you. My MUA andhair dresser is rubbish at responding to messages so I'm having to go in when we visit the area again in two weeks as I wasn't 100% happy with my make up and want some changes and have also changed my mind in my hair lol. But at least I'm dealing with the people who will be doing them for me.

hth

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

If i was in your situation I would cancel them even if that means loosing the deposit. Why don't you go to a makeup counter in a store (like a MAC counter), get her to do your makeup how you would like it. Then she will show you the products she used & how she used them. Then you can buy the makeup & do it yourself.x

• K
    Beginner June 2014
    ktk8 ·
    • Hide content

I live not to far away from mellington hall. i know someone who does hair and make up and does a fantastic job looking at her photos, if you need to find someone else i can tell you where to find her.

may i ask who you had??

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Instead of using egg whites which could dry flakey, try Liz Earle's Eye Soothing toner. It's wonderful and works! You just soak two pads of cotton wool and leave it on your eyes for 10 mins. You emerge bright eyed, sparkly and no puffiness. You can also buy travel size to try before you buy the full bottle.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics