Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Red Baroness
Beginner July 2012

Makeup Trial Disasters

Red Baroness, 27 February, 2012 at 09:02 Posted on Planning 0 29

I was recommended a makeup artist by someone I know, and went along for my trial at the weekend. I had no idea what to expect as there was no website/portfolio. It wasn't very good. I ended up with caked on foundation, thick black eyeliner with no eyeshow and no blending. Dark drag queen-esque eyebrows and no cheek colour or definition. To say I was disappointed is an understatement! I went home, washed it all off and then managed a better job myself. I also now have to think of an excuse to let this woman down and also the person who recommended her!

I'm now ££ lighter and back to square one, although it looks like I've found someone good who is available by searching on Google. Fingers crossed.

Tell me your makeup trial woes!

29 replies

Latest activity by kelly1988, 29 February, 2012 at 09:53
  • Rochelle (Make up HIB)
    Rochelle (Make up HIB) ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear, that's not good. I would just be honest with her and say it wasn't what you expected. If it was that bad you should ask her for a re-trial.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

I don't think a re-trial would be any better to be honest. The technique wasn't there (mine's better!), and there were limited products available. No primer was used either, which I understand is important? My bridesmaid's foundation wasn't blended at the edge, so you could see where it stopped, just before her jaw etc, and her eyes didn't match. Really not good.

• Sparkly Bride
    Beginner August 2012
    Sparkly Bride ·
    • Hide content

I have't had mine yet. A girl I went to school with contacted me on facebook when she knew I was getting married and offered to do mine for me. I know she works at benefit so I am hoping and praying she is good! Again though not seen any photos or portfolios so a bit nervous now.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

I'm sure it'll be fine SB. I'd just make sure you have a trial sooner rather than later, as if you leave it to the suggested 6/8 weeks before the wedding, you might not be able to find someone else if you don't like it.

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

I would explain just what you've said here and ask for your money back. If she refuses, as for a proportion of it back based on the fact that it was horrendous. I would be temped to use the line "if you will refund me, then I will go off quietly" ..

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Crikey bazza, i know how much trouble you have had finding an artist as well!! Ive got mine on 10th march, am crossing everything that its ok!!

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

Can't really ask for a refund. It's going to be awkward enough when the person who recommended her asks if I'm using her and I tell her I'm not.

I know Flow! This weekend was the first time I have had a bit of a wedding meltdown. Not in front of the MUA. As far as she's aware, I was happy with it. My bridesmaid, however, was pulling unimpressed faces! Ha! Just felt a bit sick in the stomach, but started to feel better when I found this other lady. If this trial doesn't go well, I'm going to cut my losses and go to a MAC counter or something and learn to do it myself.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Can't help I am afraid as I had a trial at Benefit and then did it myself... couldn't be doing with any more people in the room!!!

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

I may well be doing the same Mrs C if this one doesn't go well.

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

Eeek! Really sorry to hear this RB.

Silver lining though - at least you had a trial and found out that her technique was, err, lacking now rather than on the day itself! I hope your backup plans are more successful.

I haven't had my trial yet - it's booked in for May 5th, I'm concerned that this is quite late but my veil/tiara won't be delivered until the end of March and with Easter in April, this was the best date. I figure if mine goes awry, I'll do like you say and do my own.

• Rochelle (Make up HIB)
    Rochelle (Make up HIB) ·
    • Hide content

You're right, that doesn't sound good. In her defence (only slightly though!) I don't always use primers either. It really depends on skin type and the foundation being used, although in her case it does sound as though she didn't know what she was doing if she didn't even match your bm's foundation right.

I would still be honest with her though. If you leave her feeling that you were happy with what she did, she'll still carry on thinking what she's doing is ok!

Smiley sad

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

Maybe you're just beyond help Bazza?

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

Tempting! Problem is, word would get back as she knows the girl who is booked to do my hair! Maybe I could blame it on my sister, who was visibly unimpressed at the trial? ?

• lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content

I'm really worried about this coz my cbm is doing mine & i'm worrie dthat when she does it what if i dont like it! ARGH!

• Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB)
    Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB) ·
    • Hide content

I echo everything that Rochelle has said - I don't always use primers either as some foundations work better on bare skin. I think the main thing for all of you having a makeup practice is to make sure the artist has a good chat with you beforehand to find out if and what makeup you normally wear, what your dress and hair will be like and colourscheme etc. This way she should get your makeup spot in first time. You MUST tell an artist if you're not happy with the makeup so she can tweak it and get it right. If she's like me and has been in the industry for years she won't be offended as she'd rather make sure you are happy. Juliet x

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This wasn't a case of tweaking it unfortunately. She's not just a MUA, but is salon based. I got the impression that she doesn't do that much in the way of makeup as she does lots of various beauty treatments. There was only one brand of makeup available, and it was very limited.

• Going2theChapel
    Beginner March 2013
    Going2theChapel ·
    • Hide content

I would just be honest and say she doesn't do the style that you were specifically after and that you found the perfect one for you Smiley smile

• Hide content

Oh thats a completely different thing then. If she's a beautician doing salon based makeup that very different to having a pro makeup artist come and work on you. I would just tell her the truth tbh and book someone else. Juliet x

• SecretSquirrel123
    Beginner August 2012
    SecretSquirrel123 ·
    • Hide content

I'm having this problem at the moment, I've had a few trials and I've just not been wowed by any of them, I always seem to look orange and shiny. I'm starting to wonder if I'm just being too fussy ?

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not if you didn't ask to be orange and shiny!

I guess like any supplier it's hard to find the one which 'gets' you and your requirements sometimes. I have nothing useful to add but wish you good luck finding a better MUA!

• Hide content

Wiltshire bride - I'm sorry to hear that. Where are you getting married? I might be able to recommend someone. Juliet x

• Mrs Mack
    Beginner May 2012
    Mrs Mack ·
    • Hide content

RB, would you not consider doing your own make up if it looked better after you had re-done it? Would save some pennies. I was thinking on doing this, but think I might be too nervous (you might be the same), so I'm having my cousin do mines. She is really good at her own (she done her own wedding make up too), and is a mobile hairdresser, and sometimes does a package for bridal parties with make up. So I'm hoping all will go well, got my trial on Sunday afternoon. At least cos its family, if its not me I can tell her. More awkward with someone you don't know! x

• Zoexx
    Beginner July 2012
    Zoexx ·
    • Hide content

Hi, a similar same thing happened to me but luckily I had the trial months in advance!

I told her that I have sensitive skin and the prima she used I said goes crusty on my skin, which it did. When I looked in the mirror I was horrified and shocked as her portfolio is brilliant. She said it was crusty because of my type of skin and can't be helped to which I replied I didn't arrive with a crusty face! She also put false eye lashes on me and very dark lip gloss, it just didn't suit me, but she was sooo nice which made it awkward plus my BM is too nice to say anything and didn't admit she didn't like it until we left.

I was really worried but I just braved it and sent her a message saying I really enjoyed the trial but have had an offer from a family friend to do my hair and makeup and I can't refuse it. She was fine about it and just replied saying no worries it was nice to me you. (I did pay her so she didn't lose out really).

I have now booked another hair and makeup artist who was recommended by the venue, the trial isn't until 2 weeks before the venue so I am very nervous! She is also very expensive so I am hoping this is a good thing?

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, if this one doesn't go well I'm going to cut my losses, get myself down to a MAC counter and ask one of the ladies to teach me. The onyl reason I wanted a MUA on the day is because I don't want to worry about having to do it myself. I really nervous about having another trial now!

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This worries me! The lady who I saw at the weekend doesn't have a portfolio, but the one I'm about to book does, and it looks great!

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

I'm sorry but you have to man up and tell this person why you won't be using them. They are not a friend they are a supplier.

Also, just tell the friend you are not using them because the trial didn't go as you'd hoped. Any friend worth having shouldn't be upset by that!

• Zoexx
    Beginner July 2012
    Zoexx ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No don't let me put you off, sorry! I think the problem was that I didn't know what I wanted so she didn't have much to go on. I'm sure it will be fine x

• K
    Beginner September 2012
    kelly1988 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear this, i'm starting to look at makeup artists, and this worries me finding the right one.

I have recently had a quote of £300 for me, 3 bridesmaids and my mum, including trials.......is this a good price or a bit much?

I've googles others and they seem to be around the same price.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics