Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

RomanticPinkConfetti274
Beginner June 2016

Make-up trial let down!

RomanticPinkConfetti274, 12 of April of 2016 at 14:26 Posted on Planning 0 16

I have not been here in a while, I'm getting married at the end of June and I had my make up trial and it did not go very well. I found her online and I'd seen her pictures of clients and I thought she would be perfect. I'd trained as a make up artist in the early 90s, but I not ever worked as a freelance make up artist, I ended up working in the City of London, for a firm of solicitors.

I can do my own make-up, I do my own make up all the time, but the reason why I wanted a make up artist was because I did not want to be stressed out putting my make up and wanting it to be perfect and I get super shiny, especially my nose, so I thought I would get a make up artist to work her magic with the latest products, that would stop me glowing like a light bulb.

So we discuss the look I was going for and she got to work, we chit chatted and drank tea, it was a really nice time, but when I looked in the mirror, I have to say I was shocked at the way she had applied it. The foundation was not a good match,it made me look slightly orange and I have some dark marks just under my jawline and she missed covering them completely, she had not used any concealer or foundation to cover it, basically the foundation stopped dead at my jawline.

I like to have my eyebrows to look defined, I personally use an eyebrow pencil and powder, she just used a powder, but my eyebrows just looked messy and all over the place and they were not brushed through properly, so it looked like a layer of powder sitting on top of my brows.

The eyeshadow was uneven and not blended properly, so you could see each colour that she used and I did say I wanted to use gold tones, but she used gold on the lids and the brow bones. As for the false eyelashes, she place them directly in the centre, so when you looked at my eyes, you could see my own eyelashes at the ends!

i wanted a red lipstick, so she used a pencil to outline my lips and fill them in, also going over the hipline, for no reason, my lips are full enough. Then she used a lipstick that was more plummy than red and the outline of the lips were uneven, it looked like I'd applied the lipstick in the dark. I always apply red lipstick with a brush to get a sharp line, but she did not do this.

Sorry for the long post, but there is more! She did not do any type of contouring, all she did was highlight everywhere on my face and I mean everywhere, it was on my forehead, brow bone, down the centre of my nose, making my nose look super wide. I had highlights on my chin, cupids bow and cheekbones, it was everywhere!!! As for blusher, there was a slight sweep of it under my cheekbones, where she should have contoured my cheeks.

I was speechless, all I could say was I looked very glam, but I looked in the mirror and it was not me looking back.

Also about an hour after she left, my face started to get shiny, so not a happy bunny. I don't know what happened, the make up was nothing like how I saw it in her pictures. i just said I would get back to her. But there is no way I am going to have her do my make up, I'm going to do it myself. I have already spoken to Mac and they have said I could pop in and discuss their long wearing, oil free products that I can use.

I want to look like me on my wedding day and not like someone else. I've not contacted her yet to say I won't be using her, I'm trying to work out how to say it, without being mean.

Has anyone else had a disastrous make-up trial?

☹️

16 replies

Latest activity by RomanticPinkConfetti274, 14 of April of 2016 at 15:22
  • Katscamel
    Katscamel ·
    • Hide content

I don't know if it helps but an old Uni friend of mine is a make up artist. She started off behind the counter at Debenhams and went from there. She's on facebook.....makeup pro online or something and her name is Bolanle. She based in London and am sure could help find you an alternative MUA.

• RomanticPinkConfetti274
    Beginner June 2016
    RomanticPinkConfetti274 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Thank you for the info, but I'm going to just do it myself, now I have an excuse to buy more make-up! x

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear that your trial didn't go well.

I haven't had a bridal trial as such. I had my make up done for free as I was modelling at a wedding fair for a friend of a friend and I didn't like it (but I wasn't allowed to pick how I wanted it). I also had a quick make over at a wedding fair and I wasn't impressed with that either. She pretty much rubbed all of my base off (I'm REALLY particular about my base). She also didn't blend the eyeshadow and she used liquid eyeliner on my lower lashes which smudged everywhere. I had to go to the loos and blend it all in and tidy it up!

I had my make up done professionally on Saturday for my birthday night out as I wanted to test the MUA but as I don't have my dress yet, I don't know how I want my make up really. I also didn't want to leave it much longer to book a MUA either. She was really good and I was very impressed. I didn't have to touch up my make up all night and I had no shine at all (I also get a shiny t zone).

I think that if you will feel more comfortable doing it yourself then that may be for the best. I have found most people for hair and make up on FB through the local wedding pages. That may be an option if you decide that you do want to pay a professional to do it for you X

• R
    Dedicated July 2017
    RomanticBrownFlowers354 ·
    • Hide content

Oh no it sounds pretty horrific. I agree I think that you should just do it yourself, loads of brides do and you are doing the perfect thing going to a counter for advice and products.

This really make me worry though as a girl who isn't in the least bit girly, my make up bag consists of foundation and a cheap old mascara, which I only put on for special occasions, and most of what you just wrote sounds like gobbledygook to me! I am so worried now that my make-up will be crap but I'll but totally oblivious to it ...!!!!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I did my own. Most of the time I don't wear any except for nights out etc. I tried a few different looks and asked oh to take pics then decided what I was having. Practised a few times too. Then to make it idiot proof if stressed or nervous i made myself a list of the order I was to put it on so I couldn't forget an early bit and realise at the end. Lol.

• M
    Beginner May 2017
    MrsW2017 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, it sounds like a complete nightmare! I think this must be something a lot of people worry about. I haven't had my make up trial yet but do worry as I'm not very good at telling people I don't like something. My hair trial wasn't really a success, the hairdresser was lovely but I didn't really like my hair but told her it was lovely so now I have to back track and tell her that actually I'm not happy with it! Awkward!!

i think doing it yourself is a good idea especially as you know exactly what you want and as long as you leave yourself lots of time on the day and have some practices then it shouldn't be too stressful.

Beginner June 2016
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments, advice and support.

I think when it comes to your wedding day or any other important occasion, if something does not feel right, you just have to say no, I would be soo annoyed with myself if I was to go ahead and use her.

I'm off now to email her to say I will be doing it myself. I'm sure I'm not the first of any of her clients to not go ahead after the trial, it's just life, just because you pitch for a job, it does not mean you will get it.

xx?

• P
    Beginner April 2016
    Pooba ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear that your trial didn't go so well, although at least you know you can trust yourself and you'll look like you on the day!

I had an initial trial back in Feb and I had a shocking time - foundation was a completely different shade (I'm albino-esque pale, but by the end I was orange!), lips were bright, eyes were all over the shop. I ended up texting her saying how I was disappointed with how it had turned out - both the products and how it looked - and that I would appreciate a second free trial. Bless her, she was so lovely about it and really apologetic. I had another round with her a few weeks later using my make up and her hands and it looked so much better - I looked like a slightly more glamourous version of me, which is what I wanted to go for!

Sometimes it helps to go back to the MUA and talk through what they did wrong, but then only you know if you can trust them to have another shot!

Beginner June 2016
    • Hide content

I would rather not share any info about the MUA, as it's not fair on her and she is not here to defend herself. The situation is, I just really would prefer to do my makeup in a certain way and she obviously likes to apply make up on her clients in a certain way. We were just on different pages, so to speak and the way she did it was just not for me. The way she did the make up was in a different way in which I was taught, times have changed in the make up world.

I did not want to suggest a second trial, I just wanted to cut my losses and move on. I'm looking forward to buying the new make up products next week and trying them out. We've got a engagement shoot booked for next month, so that will give a chance to try them out. But from now to till the wedding I will be using the make up anyway.

?

• P
    Beginner April 2016
    Pooba ·
    • Hide content

Sounds good - and yay for new make up, ha ha!

• R
    Dedicated June 2016
    RachD90 ·
    • Hide content

If your going to buy new makeup from a counter why don't you get a makeover from them. MAC do bridal trials and the money fully redeemable on products. If your going to buy products anyway may as well get a free makeover. If you like it you could get it done on the day them or just take tips so your less nervous about doing your own. I am a makeup artist and getting mine done at a counter because I can't be dealing with the stress of liner on my wedding day, especially when people will keep interrupting me for things. I want to be pampered as well, am going to Charlotte Tilbury as I know I love the products, they have to do a certain look and are trained in those looks and I love the looks as very natural but glamorous. Plus my bridesmaid are all getting their makeup done their. I also get to redeem the money back on products so win win. Am having a trial in May for my cousins wedding so can see how it goes.

I always ask brides what type of look they want and really discuss ideas before I just apply products. Plus in my opinion less is more, you can always add more makeup but it's extremely hard to take it away. She should of really done the minimum and asked if you wanted more or anything you wanted to change. My bride couple weeks ago didn't like soft nude lips but wanted a darker purple colour. Easy to fix and all I had to do is ask is there anything you want different.

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

I agree, for that many issues it's better to just politely cut your losses and move on. At least you're used to wearing make up and you know what works for you. When I had my MU trial there were a couple of things I didn't like so I just told her and she corrected them until I was happy. But in your situation I wouldn't have bothered either. Yay for make up shopping!

Beginner June 2016
    • Hide content

The trial was between myself and her and no one else, if I do not want to share her details it is up to me. I don't agree that is not fair to future brides that they might waste their money, because some brides might like the way that she does their make up, I did say that I did not like the way she did it for me, which is my choice. I do not appreciate you having a pop at me for not sharing her details, that would be totally unnecessary.

I seen pictures of other brides on her site and they seem happy with the result, so the way she did their make up was fine for them. As I said before I did not like the way she did, I have been wearing make up and been around it long enough to know what I like and don't like. Everybody has their own way of doing things, she just applies the make up in that particular way.

Beginner June 2016
    • Hide content

Charlotte Tilbury does amazing make up, your going to look fab, enjoy being pampered. I am booked in for a make up trial and she is going to do my make-up and she did say that I could redeem the cost against the products I need to buy. I've been using Mac products for many years, so buying more of it is win, win for me.

?

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

RomanticPinkConfetti274, I agree that you don't need to share the MUA's details.

I was very lucky that my MUA worked out. I had a trial two days before my wedding, and it didn't even occur to me that it could go wrong.

Beginner June 2016
    • Hide content

That is great to hear, glad it went well.

To be honest I'm not worried about doing my own make up, unless I'm working from home, I wear make up generally and on my wedding morning, I'll have all my make laid out on a large folding table that I use to use for craft shows and I'll take my time and enjoy it.

Up until then, I can practice the colours and combos and see what I like, I'm getting excited already, lol.

x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics