Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Savvy August 2019

Making your own wedding cake - advice please!

ExpensivePinkCars56269, 23 of January of 2018 at 17:16 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi

I'm in need of some advice regarding making your own wedding cake. I really enjoy baking and sugar craft and have made birthday cakes for friends and families over the years, so i am keen to make my own wedding cake. I feel like it will be a lovely achievement and at the same time I feel like paying alot of money for a cake I could make myself would be something I couldn't justify.

The issue i have is that my venue is in a beautiful barn in Devon and we are going for a rustic theme. I really love the idea of a naked cake, or buttercream rather than fondant cake and have them decorated with fresh flowers. I think the naked cake is going to be out of the picture as I don't really want to be stressing too much the day before making the cakes so they are super fresh. However the other issue is that the venue will not accpet a buttercream cake the night before, which still leaves me in the same problem + I would have to go to the venue on the morning of the wedding to stack and decorate the cake. This is not something I want to be stressing about on the morning of my wedding.

Has anyone got any suggestions on ways around this or do you think I may just have to give in and let a professional do the style of cake that we want for our big day? Just to mention we are also staying in a hotel the night before as our venue is about 40 minute drive from our house.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks Smiley smile

7 replies

Latest activity by HappyYellowConfetti12164, 5 of February of 2018 at 10:18
  • S
    Curious October 2019
    SasenachBride ·
    • Hide content

I'm in the same boat, I bake quite frequently and know I could make my own wedding cake, but for it to be fresh you'd need to bake it the day before and get it to the venue the morning of - which as you say will be stressful.

I'm giving in and paying for a cake but I've opted for a local cake baker who sells via Facebook, it's still more money than if I made it myself but not as much as going to a fancy bakery and asking for a wedding cake.

If you're happy to make the cake the night before and have someone you could trust to take it to the venue the morning of, that could work? But it might not get there in one piece or they might not decorate it how you envisioned it, would that upset you on the day?

• G
    Beginner
    GeordieDevonBride ·
    • Hide content

I am also in the same boat (and we are also coincidentally getting married in a barn, in North Devon! ?)

I have read that you can freeze sponges, which actually makes the more moist (pardon that word!) and yum. So I was planning on making them earlier in the week, freezing them, then the day before the wedding getting them all iced up, as I wanted a naked/semi-naked cake too.

I haven't actually asked if our venue would accept the cake the day before, so that's a good point. Would you have anyone willing to take the cake up prior to the wedding?

If you do want to go down the 'buy it' route, M&S have some lovely naked cakes which may be slightly cheaper than getting them done professionally, and they may also deliver to the venue:

http://www.marksandspencer.com/naked-cake-vanilla-3-tier/p/p60167998?prevPage=srp

http://www.marksandspencer.com/naked-cake-chocolate-3-tier-pre-order-/p/p60094638?mfPartNumber=00161435&carousel=FUNV_RR

http://www.marksandspencer.com/naked-cake-vanilla-3-tier-pre-order-/p/p60094577?prevPage=srp

Hope this helps slightly!

• P
    PaylorPhoto ·
    • Hide content

Making your own cake is a fantastic idea! I think your best option is make the cake the day before (stressful, yes, but rewarding!) and get someone you trust to take it to the venue. Yes it's a risk, but I imagine you'll feel amazing when everyone says how gorgeous your cake is.

Maybe speak to your florist about real flowers. I wanted fresh flowers on my cake and my florist created some lovely bits for me which she placed as she saw fit Smiley smile That way you just need a plain cake and the rest will be done for you Smiley smile

• E
    Savvy August 2019
    ExpensivePinkCars56269 ·
    • Hide content

It's so tricky isn't it and like you say if it was to arrive in pieces or not decorated to how I imagined I think I would be disappointed.

Perhaps looking into a local bakery is a good way forward. Thanks for the advice and I hope you are happy with your cake in the end.

• E
    Savvy August 2019
    ExpensivePinkCars56269 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for the links I'll have a look into them for sure.

i had originally thought about freezing the cakes earlier, but I'm more concerned about transporting a three tiered cake down a motorway and also not being able to leave the cake at the venue the night before. Ideally if I could have set the cake up at the venue the night before there would be no problem, so maybe worth seeing if your venue will let you do this too.

Which Barn are you getting married in? We are getting married at Upton Barn in Cullompton. There are so many beautiful Barn type venues in Devon, we are spoilt for choice really.

I hope it all goes well with your cake planning too.

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

My sister is making mine however she's buying in the cake itself as she's so nervous about it going wrong, she uses a cake craft company which means the cake will also last longer so she's got longer to decorate it, removing the need for desperately baking cake the day before. Just a thought if your really worried. My sister has said she might still try and make them herself but I told her to buy in the other cake anyway and I'll put them on the buffet table for the evening guests!

• H
    Beginner October 2018
    HappyPurpleCakes4800 ·
    • Hide content

Is there a way that you could get someone you trust to deliver the cake in the morning? I am also making my own cake using buttercream and am getting my brother to deliver it in the morning. If you could give it to someone you trust the evening before then get them to deliver it in the morning that should solve your problem.

• H
    HappyYellowConfetti12164 ·
    • Hide content

Morning!

Personally I think it's a lot of pressure making your own wedding cake. With everything else you'll have to plan and organise I think it'll be added stress.

I'm in talks with Bespoke Wedding Company in Birmingham about my wedding cake, maybe have a chat with them? x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics