Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

navychick
Beginner August 2011

Maldives -v- Mexico -v- Thailand

navychick, 20 May, 2011 at 18:15 Posted on Planning 0 9

We are so undecided where to go on our Honeymoon for next April. OH wants to go to the Maldives, but I feel that it's so overpriced that part of me just can't justify spending the expense. Plus it will be for 2 weeks and I feel that we would get bored doing nothing but sit by the pool for this time - we would have to do some of the activities on offer, which is even more expense. I would prefer to go to Mexico or Thailand where I think we will get more for our money. We're prepared to spend between £2,500 - £3,000 in total.

More if we win the lotto tonight!!!

I'm very fortunate that in my previous jobs I travelled a lot and have been to the Caribbean and the Far East so have a bit of background info on them. OH hasn't really been any further than Europe so wants to do something a little more special.

I'm at the point of suggesting that we write each destination down on a piece of paper, fold it up into quarters, mix them up on the table and pick!

How did you all decide where to go?
out of the above 3 what would your choice be and why?

On top of that, we don't know whether to book early and take advantage of any early booking discounts, or leave it until last minute!

who knew that deciding and booking a honeymoon would be so difficult!

9 replies

Latest activity by navychick, 21 May, 2011 at 19:25
  • HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

Agree about the Maldives, beyond beautiful but would get bored after a week! Maybe try and think which place has the best excursions for you. Would you rather go to Chichen Itza or Congo Bongos? Or go on an elephant ride in the jungle or to see the River Kwai??

Personally I'd chose Mexico (Cancun), you get the luxury of 5* all inclusive with the ability to go out to shops, restaurants, etc too. And my brother went to Thailand for a month, told me every detail so feel like I've already been!

• M
    Beginner October 2011
    MaryJoanna ·
    • Hide content

My OH and I spent absolutely ages deliberating over our honeymoon too! Out of your three we considered Maldives and Mexico. A friend of mine had been to the Maldives and it just sounded so relaxing and always looks amazing. We didn't go for it in the end because it wouldn't have had the best weather in late Sept-October, however I was also really worried about just feeling bored, and would definitely have only gone for a week or 10 days at the most. We've said we'll definitely go there for a big anniversary sometime in the future.

I the end Mexico didn't really shout out to us either as it felt like we'd have to do a lot of travelling around and the cities didn't really appeal. However I'm sure if you put a bit of effort into planning it, it would be an amazing place to go.

I don't know if you're interested in hearing more options at this stage, but we opted for Bali in the end, which we're really pleased with now, as we'll be able to split our honeymoon into staying in the centre of the island, and then staying near the beach. Sounds like there'll be loads for us to do that isn't beach-dwelling, which suits us well. I think we ended up spending about £3000 and we're staying in the most amazing-sounding place. I'm a little nervous about how far away it is, but it's a good kind of nervous!

• Suzie&Karl
    Beginner January 2012
    Suzie&Karl ·
    • Hide content

Up until last week we were going to the maldvies, would have cost us about £4500. But realised for alot less we could get 5* luxury in mexico. so booked The el Dordo Royale yesterday.

x

• S
    Beginner June 2012
    soon-to-be-Mrs-King ·
    • Hide content

How funny I just posted a thread on 'which honeymoon destination did you choose?'. we've decided to go Mexico as the hotels look amazing and we've had about 10 different friends that have been and have all said that it is the best holiday they've ever had. Thailand is supposed to be beautiful too, our friends went there for their honeymoon and said you get really good value for your money. Like you the Maldives doesn't really appeal to us as we would definitely be bored within the week.

• A
    Beginner June 2011
    Anne! ·
    • Hide content

Hi we decided on the Maldives as it was much better value for money for us AI a la carte than Thailand which worked out more expensive on only a B&B basis. I think if you are into watersports/snorkling/scuba-diving or want to learn any of these then the Maldives wouldn't be too boring for you, but I agree there is so much more to do (day-trips/culture) etc in somewhere like Thailand.

It just depends on what you want, many people choose to combine 7 days on Maldives with 7 days Sri Lanka which has the culture etc

HTH

• navychick
    Beginner August 2011
    navychick ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies.

soon to be mrs king - i saw your thread about Mexico, I looked at the Royal in Cancun also and have that listed on my favourites, it looks amazing. I've been trawling the web for the best deals and have found a couple of good ones.
    I think we've ruled out the Maldives, so that leaves Mexico & Thailand. I have a friend who I used to work with who is Thai and i've e-mailed him to ask about the cost of restaurants etc out there, although i've been on holiday to Thailand before, to Phuket, that was 15 yrs ago, so things may have changed significantly since then!

i think we're heading to the TA next week after a lot more dates are released so we can get a better idea.

I also think we're going to book early, rather than leave it until the last minute!

so hopefully I'll be able to come back in a couple of weeks with the thread "we've booked our honeymoon"

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

I always thought I wanted to go to Maldives on honeymoon but I also thought we would get bored. Last year we went to Thailand and it was the best holiday we have every been on (we have been quite a few fantastic places) so we are going back and exploring some different paces and also going for a few days in Cambodia. I loved Thailand and cant wait to go back. I am not concerned about the unrest, it is nothing to do with tourists and tourism is important to them, last time we went we were in bangkok when all the riots were happening and were fine, the protestors did not want to involve tourists and some even gave us a wave and the hotel told us where to steer clear of so it is easy to avoid it.

If you want any other info on Thailand just let me know

• S
    Beginner June 2012
    soon-to-be-Mrs-King ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi we are planning on booking our honeymoon to the Royal Cancun next week, i'm still looking through the web to find the best deal so if you have come accross any can you pass on the info. Thanks x

• navychick
    Beginner August 2011
    navychick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi

Alpha Rooms and Bookable Holidays have both been recommended to us.
    I've been looking at quite a few and once we've decided will start a spreadsheet so I can keep on top of it all!! else it all gets too much and i forget every tour operator's price!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics