Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

mandspice
Beginner September 2013

Male "bridesmaid"?!

mandspice, 15 of November of 2012 at 20:08 Posted on Planning 0 19

My best friend is a (gay) man and I'm thinking that I'd like him to have role at the wedding. If he was a girl there's no doubt that he'd be Maid of Honour so I'm wondering whether I could have him as a kind of "grown up pageboy". I already have 3 bridesmaids, a flower girl and a little page boy so don't want to overdo it but would really like him to be prominent on the day.

Is anyone else having, or has heard of anyone having, a male "bridesmaid'?? Would it look odd in the photos...?!

19 replies

Latest activity by Ulli, 16 of November of 2012 at 12:49
  • KampKaz
    Beginner June 2014
    KampKaz ·
    • Hide content

I have a man of honour, I can't imagine anyone else in the world that I would want by my side on the day! (besides OH of course, but she'll be on the other side!)

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Best man, man of honour, bridesman whatever you call him he will still be your best friend and give him whatever rule you would if he was a girl.

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

My best friend is a man and I had him as my best man basically. He walked down the aisle with the bridesmaids and sat at the front with them.

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

My brother has dubbed himself "chief bridesman". He'll mostly be doing usher type duties and will be my witness. OH's sister is our other witness.

• MissPanda
    Beginner March 2012
    MissPanda ·
    • Hide content

My best friend was my Man of Honour. The registrar asked who I was going to give my flowers to and I hadn't thought about it, so there's quite a few pictures of him holding my bouquet next to my 2 bridesmaids in the ceremony looking quite funny ha. He did a lovely speech for me too.

• mandspice
    Beginner September 2013
    mandspice ·
    • Hide content

Ahhh, good to hear you're all bucking tradition. I'd never seen it before but you are right, there should be no "rules" about who does what.

I'll ask him today ?

• EAC13
    Beginner June 2013
    EAC13 ·
    • Hide content

If he's that close to you, you shouldn't be worrying about whether you photos will look odd with him in them, you should want him in them no matter what! That came out like I was shouting you down - I wasn't Smiley smile

I've heard of a few people who have had a male for their maid of honour and just called him their "man of honour" x

• freckles87
    Beginner May 2013
    freckles87 ·
    • Hide content

I'm having my sister as MOH and then two male BMs. I've had a few odd looks when I tell people, but they're my closest friends, so sod what other people think!

Glad you've decided to ask him!

• mandspice
    Beginner September 2013
    mandspice ·
    • Hide content

I suppose it's partly that I already have 3 grown bridesmaids, my son as page boy and my friend's daughter as flower girl. I don't want the photos to look like everyone is just bundling in for the sake of it! Also our venue is quite small and not what you would call "grand" so the aisle may be a bit crowded.

Nevertheless, it means a lot to me so I shall ask him.

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Ugh, I hate when people who want a man to be a bridesmaid decide not to do it just because of photos! They're important to you, and that's why you want them there!! Who gives a hoot about how it looks in the photos? And anyways, it won't look strange, I stood up with both my brothers and one will be a bridal attendant (can't bring myself to say 'bridesman') for me and the other is giving me away. I wouldn't get married without them involved in it.

If you want him to stand up with you, ask him. Don't worry about anything else.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

Have a look in the Hitched awards thread (shameless plug!).

Pandorasbox got married earlier this year and she had a bridesman. He carried a flower and everything.

Her photos are in there ?

• mandspice
    Beginner September 2013
    mandspice ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's me told then! ?

• mandspice
    Beginner September 2013
    mandspice ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Great, will do! He will definitely not agree to carrying flowers but will be good to see the dynamic and how it worked. Thanks ?

• U
    Beginner January 2011
    Ulli ·
    • Hide content

I have a close male friend who is de facto a male bridesmaid/bridesman or whatever you want to call it. He calls himself the "wedding planner" and he really is a massive help planning wise, but he will definitely properly be in the bridal party and not just the "planner" if that makes sense. My MOH has fun winding him up by calling him bridesmaid and one of the funniest things I have heard doing wedding related stuff was when the ladies in the wedding dress shop called him "manmaid". Yes, he went dress shopping with me and everything!

• freckles87
    Beginner May 2013
    freckles87 ·
    • Hide content

Mine went dress shopping with me too!

One went with me to pick my dress up. When she brought the dress out, she said she would take me round the corner to show me, to check everything was alright with it. Me and BM followed her, and she said "I'll take you behind the changing room curtain, where it's PRIVATE" and gave my BM a strange look. It was then that it clicked, she thought he was the groom! I said he must have been having a particularly straight day! ?

• mandspice
    Beginner September 2013
    mandspice ·
    • Hide content

Ha ha! Love the term "Manmaid"!

I have already asked him to be Gok Wan when we go bridesmaid dress shopping ?

• freckles87
    Beginner May 2013
    freckles87 ·
    • Hide content

Mine like to be called 'brides b*tches' but I suppose that wouldn't be to everyone's tastes!

• U
    Beginner January 2011
    Ulli ·
    • Hide content

Yes freckles, I think that name would be going a bit too far for my manmaid Smiley smile - if he is comfortable being called the wedding planner, that's great, I don't mind what you call it, main thing is he is there with me on the day, I don't see any reason why a male friend should be treated differently than a female one. I am very happy to hear that other brides have bridesmen too, I first didn't know how to involve him properly, but that was mainly due to the fact that I didn't know the concept of bridesmaids in general - not really done in Germany...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics