Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner July 2015

male wedding guest wearing kilt - opinions please.

celticcurl, 6 of June of 2015 at 11:38 Posted on Planning 0 23

OH is wearing a kilt for our wedding in 7 weeks time. It has been made to measure in his clan tartan and it's beautiful. My cousin is travelling from Ireland to photograph our wedding. This cousin is getting married 4 weeks after us and we are invited. I have no idea what the cousin will be wearing but I suspect it will be a suit as opposed to top hat and tails as he isn't very tall. Would it be ok for my OH to wear his kilt or could it be seen as upstaging the groom? He would be the only one in a kilt. The last thing either of us would want to do is upset the bride and groom.

If it was a member of OH's family, I don't think it would be a problem even if none of the others were wearing a kilt because obviously they share the same scottish heritage. But only a few of my irish relatives have met OH and we don't want to put any noses out of joint or be the subject of discussion.

Thoughts please

23 replies

Latest activity by SRECOWBURN, 9 of June of 2015 at 14:58
  • S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

I don't get why this would an issue it's his tartan regardless - most weddings we go to the guys wear their tartan - he can always change his jacket to one of the more relaxed ones.

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

If the wedding was in scotland I wouldn't be concerned. I guess I want to know what people who aren't used to seeing men in their kilts think.

• soraneko
    Beginner June 2016
    soraneko ·
    • Hide content

I think it could be seen as a bit odd. It might be best if you speak to your cousin as only they will know what they will think of this and it's primarily them that you don't want to upset... thinking about it, though, if I had a guest turn up in a kilt to my wedding I don't think I'd be too bothered. Confused, but not upset Smiley smile

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Has your OH worn a kilt to any other family wedding? If so then I don't see a problem, but I'd ask the bride and groom, just out of courtesy. I didn't give a monkey's what anyone wore to our wedding but a couple of people did show me the courtesy of asking if I would be happy if they wore this or that and I really appreciated it.

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

This will be the first family wedding we've been to together - after our own?

I'm concerned because I don't want us to become the talking point. The groom is photographing our wedding as a present, his OH can't come as she can't get time off work so close to her own wedding. They are a lovely couple whom we wouldn't want to upset, I think if I ask them they're so nice they'll say its fine even if it really isn't. I guess i'm sort of equating it to me turning up in a ivory maxi dress.

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

If you think it will be a problem then your OH should wear something else.

Honestly, I wouldn't have an issue if someone rocked up in a kilt to my wedding.

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

I can see where you're coming from. People might think that your OH wearing his wedding kilt to another wedding so soon is a bit pointed. It really depends on the people. In my family and friends it would be unusual, but it wouldn't offend or upstage anyone. On the other hand, in my teens I dated a lad whose family was very uptight and probably wouldn't have taken it well.

As I see it, you have two options:

1) Err on the side of caution, and take a suit instead; or

2) Speak to your cousin and ask his advice.

Personally, I'd go with option 2.

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think if your OH is Scottish then I don't see anything wrong with it, if however he isn't only then maybe it's strange. We are getting married in England, OH in a suit, it wouldn't even cross my mind that some of the guys will be wearing full kilts I don't think my OH would think it would upstage him either - I don't think guys would even give it a second thought!

• L
    Beginner July 2016
    lafalot ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Scottish Sarah....if he's Scottish there is no reason why him wearing a kilt would be strange. If he's not then I think it would be a bit weird!

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

Another one for if he's scottish it's not strange or rude or any of the above, and he should wear it with pride!

a friend of my is of indian heritage and always wears a sari for special occasions. her sari's are very intricately designed and just stunning to behold, but she isn't wearing it to upstage the bride, she's wearing it because it is customary to her personal heritage to wear said garment for special occasions.

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

Personally I'd love it if my Scottish uncle came in full kit :-) So not happening but I love the idea!

However, it's a very personal thing so I would ask your cousin :-)

• lilbeth
    Beginner July 2015
    lilbeth ·
    • Hide content

My OH is Scottish and we went to a wedding last August for my friend. He wore his kilt. He was the only one to wear one. For him it is his version of black tie and he is very proud to wear it. You could always check with your cousin but I don't see it being a problem.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

Another vote for is he's Scottish then it's fine. Scottish friends of mine wear kilts to other people's weddings and its not an issue, it's a cultural thing l think

• Runnergirl
    Beginner November 2015
    Runnergirl ·
    • Hide content

Most Scottish folk who own a kilt wear them to any such occasions, wish us girls could get away with it! ?don't stress, wear the kilt , well tell him to even lol

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Kilts are what Scottish blokes wear when they dress up! As a photographer I regularly see them at events, even as far south as Yorkshire! Don't worry about it, let him wear his kilt.

• JenCTR
    Beginner May 2017
    JenCTR ·
    • Hide content

He's Scottish, its what the boys wear to go to parties! I hope the majority of my male guests turn up in their kilts for my wedding!

But, because its in England, I would just drop the bride a courtesy text/ email saying 'Would you mind if XXX wore his kilt to your wedding, we haven't been to many weddings and he's keen to get some wear out of it, but we totally understand if you would rather he didn't'

I think she'll be ok with it, but then again I'm Scottish and a traditional 'English' wedding with all the boys in tails looks very peculiar to me!

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

My oh's Uncle will be wearing the welsh kilt, he asked first because he didn't know if we'd find it odd but neither of us have a problem with it.

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

I'd say go for it! I think kilts are amazing. We went to a wedding down south in January, if OH had had his kilt he would've worn it, but we hadn't brought it home yet.

May be worth giving them a heads up, but it's just our version of black tie!

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

If I was the bride, I'd be thrilled that he'd chosen to wear his kilt to my wedding! I would definitely say to ask the bride how she would feel about it and give her the chance to say yes or no - it's just politeness after all ?

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

The bride and groom live in Ireland. The groom is my cousin. I have only met the bride a couple of times and haven't seen her for a few years so I don't feel able to ask her. The groom is our wedding photographer so I might wait and see if he make any comments that give an opening to a conversation after our wedding.

To those who aren't clear - yes he's Scottish although has always lived in England. He wouldn't have a clan tartan if he wasn't.

I do agree with those who commented how awesome kilts are. I absolutely love them. Can't wait to see OH in his.

• L
    Beginner July 2016
    lafalot ·
    • Hide content

I'm sorry but if he's Scottish people will half expect him to turn up in a kilt! I personally wouldn't ask the bride and groom as I don't think it's a issue. If you were asking if he could wear jeans and trainers I would understand....!

• Lorns
    Rockstar May 2015
    Lorns ·
    • Hide content

I don't really see what the big deal is. As long as you are comfortable and not copying the bride / grooms attire then wear what you like?

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

I would be thrilled if one of my Scottish guests wore his kilt to my wedding. I wouldn't expect to be asked my opinion on the matter. For me, it would be like another male guest asking what colour suit he should wear. People in the rest of the UK and Ireland would be familiar with the fact that kilts are the done thing in terms of formal attire.

• SRECOWBURN
    Beginner September 2016
    SRECOWBURN ·
    • Hide content

My uncle will be wearing a kilt at my wedding. I dont care what people wear (no white ivory cream though haha)

if you are worried though - i would maybe just ask the B and G

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics