Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner April 2014

Man of Honor - Help!

karawarren, 14 April, 2013 at 12:25 Posted on Planning 0 26

Hi Everyone.

I'm after a bit of advice here as I feel that no one is listening to me, and I may have to pull a brideizlla on them. My best friend is a boy, and has been since we were 4 and my whole family have known that I would have a man of honor as opposed to a maid of honor, which has never caused a problem, apart from a few jokes when I actually announced it and a disapproving look from the Mother in Law to be.

The problem is that now we have started looking at BM dresses and suits everyone keeps saying (mainly my MOH and mum) that my MOH should be in white so that he matches the Bridal Party and not the Groom's party. Personally as the BMs will all be wearing different color dresses, i was thinking that he could wear a colored suit instead.

Plus I feel that if the MON was to wear white it would distract from the groom and possibly make it look like I am marrying my MOH. I could understand if the BM were wearing white dresses but they aren't and I feel that other then the Bride and Groom no one should wear white to a wedding.

Any suggestions on what you think the MOH should wear or how to point out its mine and my OH's wedding and not theirs will be very much appreciated.

THANK YOU! X

26 replies

Latest activity by karawarren, 15 April, 2013 at 18:43
  • Rhoslyn
    Beginner July 2013
    Rhoslyn ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

What colour are your bridesmaid's dresses? could he wear a suit but the shirt and tie in the same colour as the Bm's dresses?

R xx

• K
    Beginner April 2014
    karawarren ·
    • Hide content

They are all going to wear different colors as we are having a peacock theme, so I was thinking that he could wear a royal blue suit and then have a white shirt and tie. I did think about him have a shirt and tie in the same color, but they keep saying that he will blend in more with the groom's side.

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

I think the royal blue suit would be lovely, what about a teal or purple tie the same colour as one of the bridesmaids dresses to tie him into the bride rather than the groom? I definitely agree he shouldn't match the groom.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Our daughter had a Man of Honour but no bridesmaids but we had a similar quandry - should we put him in a different suit to the other guys or not because of the same reasons as you were thinking, that we didn't want him to outshine the Groom. In the end, the Groom had a cravat and waistcoat that matched the colour of our daughter's dress (vanilla and gold) and my hubby, Best Man, Groom's Dad and Man of Honour were in grey suits with grey waistcoats and mulberry coloured cravats and hankies.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Do you even need to put the man of honor in a suit?

Could you not mix it up a little that way he wont look like the groom or part of the bridal party to blend, Coloured shirt/tie/waistcoat/jacket etc

• Mrs Monkey
    Beginner July 2013
    Mrs Monkey ·
    • Hide content

TBH does it matter if he matches the grooms party? I think I would do him in the same suit but with a different shirt or tie. I don't think he should be in white because that would be too similar to you, plus as you say, would make him really stand out.

I've never really seen it as the Brides party and the Grooms party - but women in matching dresses and men in matching suits.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

What is everyone wearing? If the bridesmaids are in different peacock colours what are the groom and ushers etc wearing to tie in with that? If all the men in the groom's party are wearing the same colour, could the MOH be wearing a similar suit as them but with a different colourway so he still stands out as part fo the bridal party but still in an outfit which co-ordinates with the other men?

I agree with you that none of the wedding party should be in white except the bride unless all the BMs are wearing white.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I don't really understand. What's the issue with him having a suit that matches the rest of the men? And why would it look like you might be marrying him, as opposed to, say, the best man? Why would he wear white?

• N
    Beginner April 2014
    Northernrose ·
    • Hide content

Surely there is just one 'bridal party' rather than a bride's side and a groom's side? I don't understand why there would be an issue with him matching the groom/best man/ushers.

I quite like the idea of each of the men in the bridal party wearing a different colour shirt and tie to tie in with the different coloured BM dresses and the peacock theme.

At the end of the day as long as you're happy with your choice and the man of honour is comfortable, that's all that matters.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Or different colour Converse!

• K
    Beginner April 2014
    karawarren ·
    • Hide content

Tbh i'm perfectly happy with the MOH and all the men wearing the same suits with different shirts, I just thought that it would be nice to have him in a colored suit, with a white shirt.

I was also looking for some advice on how to point out to them both that I don't want the MOH in white especially considering the groom isn't wearing white,

Thank you for your options through, it has defiantly gave me lots of ideas. X

I always thought that it was one party tbh, but my mum that it was separate parties. X

• K
    Beginner April 2014
    karawarren ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, I've just noticed I sound like a right soppy cow. its been a long day. I'm not honest and I am really grateful for everyone's opnions. X

• N
    Beginner April 2014
    Northernrose ·
    • Hide content

You don't sound like a soppy cow at all! I'm a right bolshy mare, and would have liked to think that I would just tell anyone interfering (mums, MILs, BMs etc) to butt out, but I'm beginning to realise myself that it's easier said than done when it comes to weddings. Perhaps you could just say you've taken their ideas on board, but you're going to stick with your original idea as it's more in keeping with your theme? I'm sure they'll respect your decision x

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Where have they even got the idea of wearing white from?

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Royal Blue would look fab!

• V
    Beginner September 2013
    Vix7913 ·
    • Hide content

I think either royal blue or wearing the same and the best man/ushers etc would like fine.

To those telling you he should wear white I would point out to them that it is custom for just the bride to wear white on her wedding day, not anyone else!

• BrideCummins14
    Beginner April 2014
    BrideCummins14 ·
    • Hide content

I don't think white at all but then I don't like white suits in general - plus you should be the only one in white!

I don't think it matters if her looks the same as the 'grooms' party BUT I do love the idea of bright trousers with a white jacket like someone posted

Good luck

• BrideCummins14
    Beginner April 2014
    BrideCummins14 ·
    • Hide content

I don't think white at all but then I don't like white suits in general - plus you should be the only one in white!

I don't think it matters if her looks the same as the 'grooms' party BUT I do love the idea of bright trousers with a white jacket like someone posted

Good luck

• E
    Beginner October 2013
    Emma158 ·
    • Hide content

Ya

• E
    Beginner October 2013
    Emma158 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I think I'd go for royal blue or another coloured suit but definitely not white. Just going by personal taste here but men in white suits make me stare but for all the wrong reasons. I think you should trust your instincts and be strong about it and tell people what you want :-) Sounds like you've got the right idea to me. Loving the peacock theme too!

• K
    Beginner April 2014
    karawarren ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have no idea, but i wish it would go back to what place it came from.

THANK You everyone your ideas and opinions have been amazing! First time I've ever used this, but think I may pop by more often. X

H2B has finally voiced an opinion on the matter and has said no on the white suit, makes us both think of John Travolta in Night Fever, and as long as the ushers, best men and dads all match he is happy to leave me too it.

• K
    Beginner April 2014
    karawarren ·
    • Hide content

Me too Emma158 - John Travolta in Night Fever if you ask me

• E
    Beginner October 2013
    Emma158 ·
    • Hide content

Me too Emma158 - John Travolta in Night Fever if you ask me

It sounds like everything has worked out well for you :-)

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I have to say, my OH's sister wore a white suit to our wedding and looked amazing. Nobody thought she was in the bridal party. I don't see a problem with white, as long as that's what he and you want. My bridesman wore a suit which matched the rest of the guys, as we were having a matchy-matchy look. Do what you want! As long as you and he both feel comfortable then so what. Don't let your family make your decisions for you.

• K
    Beginner April 2014
    karawarren ·
    • Hide content

My dad has already asked to wearing a matching suit to the groom's side, as he hates being centre of attention. O no this recommendation came from my own MOTHER and the MOH loves the idea. He loves being centre attention, even at my wedding. Hence the problem.

• K
    Beginner April 2014
    karawarren ·
    • Hide content

I really like the idea of him wearing a colored suit, but the more I think about it I'm not sure. Everyone has come up with some really good ideas on here. H2B and I are going to look at suits next week so hopefully will have more of a decision by then

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics