Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner September 2016

Marks and Spencer wedding cake

Shikaka1984, 1 of October of 2014 at 14:10 Posted on Planning 0 18

Hello all.

My H2B and I love the look of the create your own cake from M&S. We are on a tight budget so this appears to be a great way of getting a beautiful cake for a fraction of the price.

I just wondered if there are any brides out there that picked this choice for their wedding as I have concerns about how easy the tiers are to remove off of the boards. I have this image of me going all incredible hulk and destroying the cake. I have read the online reviews and a couple mention that the cakes were very firmly stuck down and difficult to remove from the cake boards.

Was this the case for you? Also what is the best way to go about removing a tier off of a board?

Thank you.

18 replies

Latest activity by AKWedding, 4 of October of 2014 at 22:23
  • F
    Beginner September 2015
    Future*mrsP ·
    • Hide content

I haven't seen these before so can't give you any practical advice, but have just had a look and i think they look great for the price. I flinch evened everytime i think about spending 200 pounds plus on a cake. Will definitely consider ordering from m&s when it comes to decision time!

• S
    Beginner September 2016
    Shikaka1984 ·
    • Hide content

I'm glad that you like them too.

I was so happy when I saw the prices. Not only are we on a tight budget but we are only having 40 guests so these tiers are perfect. I imagine we will buy a couple to feed all of the cake monsters in our wedding party and it will still be a great price.

• R
    Beginner December 2014
    rambosmum ·
    • Hide content

My friend put one together from M&S. It looked really good and she said it was really simple. She bought pillars and dowel and made it three tier. I don't know how it tasted though as the caterers failed to cut it out and give it out!

• S
    Beginner September 2016
    Shikaka1984 ·
    • Hide content

Oh no what a shame.

I know that the cakes look lovely with the pillars too. I was hoping to just have dowels and stack 2 tiers.

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

My friend did this. Although it looked good, it did not taste great!

• Charliebob
    Beginner May 2016
    Charliebob ·
    • Hide content

My mum and stepdad had their cake from M&S. They are brilliant! Cannot fault them.

We are thinking of perhaps having them ourselves too.

They bought 3 separate tiers, very easy to adjust and move around, don't just crumble or anything!

They bought some flower arrangements in colour of theme from Hobbycraft and added them on top!

Looked Expensive!!

• S
    Beginner September 2016
    Shikaka1984 ·
    • Hide content

I love the idea of adding flowers.

I think we will change the colour of the ribbon and maybe add some edible decorations too.

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

I did cost this up but it really does add up. All the little bits and bobs on top etc... and thinking practically are you going to b able to transport it to venue easily/can u carry it to the car (I know silly but I did think Bout it) shop around a little be flexible with your requirements and you might get one stress free delivered for not a unreasonable amount more :-) I had sample of the choCo one it was beautiful though taste wise :-)

• R
    Beginner September 2014
    Rebeck ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I recently got married and we had M&S cakes and they were really easy to take off the boards and put together. The only thing I would say is that they were slightly uneven so you would probably need to organise some decoration for them. My friends decorated mine with ribbon and icing flowers and it looked great x

• S
    Beginner September 2016
    Shikaka1984 ·
    • Hide content

Hi.

Did you just peel them off the boards or did you have to use a knife/ palette knife?

We will probably add a ribbon to fit our colour scheme and some edible decorations.

Thanks for your reply. Exactly what i was hoping to hear ?

• R
    Beginner September 2014
    Rebeck ·
    • Hide content

The smaller ones lifted off easily on their own and for the largest we used like a fish slice just to make sure we didn't end up with any damage!

Hopefully this flash will work so you can see how it turned out

• S
    Beginner September 2016
    Shikaka1984 ·
    • Hide content

Oh wow!!!!

It looks fantastic! I will most definitely be buying these tiers now

Thanks for the flash and advice ?

• pinkypoo85
    Beginner August 2016
    pinkypoo85 ·
    • Hide content

We had a M&S cake for our engagement party, a chocolate one and it then had roses all over it. I thought it would be dry as some chocolate cakes can be but it was really nice and every commented on it Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner May 2014
    Sammi_Bride ·
    • Hide content

I have eaten a ton of wedding cake in my time- occupational hazard!

Spending a fortune on a cake doesn't always translate to an amazing tasting cake. I think the m&s cakes look fab, i will be thinking of going for one myself and decorating it with a ton of sugar flowers, some ribbon and a little bit of bling!

Ive decorated cakes like this for friends weddings in the past and ive never had an issue removing them from the boards. x

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I had the individual tiers. We left them on the boards, decorated with ribbon and placed on a cake stand.

One thing to note is that they are only 2" deep so stacked on top of one another they won't make a very tall cake.

Collected from the shop the night before and tasted amazing! Can't flash from my phone but I'm sure you can find a photo of mine on previous m&s cake threads!

• X
    Beginner December 2014
    xmasangel14 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I was going to go for the m&s create your own cake too but then I tryed some of it and some of the Sainsburys taste the difference cake and much prefer the Sainsburys one.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

It was also on a 3 for 2 deal so less than £100

• S
    Beginner September 2016
    Shikaka1984 ·
    • Hide content

I love it! Such a great price too ?

• AKWedding
    Beginner August 2015
    AKWedding ·
    • Hide content

M&S used to do samples to buy for about £5, but they have stopped doing that which is shame. We are thinking of going with M&S for our wedding cake as our venue is near a shopping centre.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics