Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tigsy87
Beginner June 2018

Marks and Spencer's wedding cake

Tigsy87, 7 of February of 2015 at 16:44 Posted on Planning 0 13

Has anyone used or will be using a cake from marks and Spencer's for their wedding day (as their main centre piece cake). I was just googling about wedding cakes as I know they can be extortionate and seen some lovely ones on marks and Spencer's website. Are they any good? My wedding is a while away yet but I'm just trying to budget and work out costs

xx

13 replies

Latest activity by Almost~Mrs~W, 10 of February of 2015 at 13:44
  • C
    Beginner January 2001
    charlinc ·
    • Hide content

There are several threads on here regarding the M&S cakes, just have a search.

• T
    Beginner September 2015
    tash&ste ·
    • Hide content

Yep! I had three sizes and tiered them myself (for my first marriage). We had a fruitcake and sponge and they're gorgeous! So tasty. Had lots of compliments so I'm going for m&s again this time. X

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Delicious and so fresh. If you don't want to assemble the tiers yourself with wooden dowels, you can hire/buy a tiered cake stand. There are several to choose from and you can decorate with ribbon, ivy, flowers etc. My SIL did this and it meant she didn't need to have fruit cake at all. In traditional tiers, you need a heavy fruit cake on the bottom, but with a stand, you can have what you want.

• bubblerawk
    Beginner July 2016
    bubblerawk ·
    • Hide content

I haven't tried their cakes but heard very good things.

• S
    Beginner January 2016
    Stephanie104 ·
    • Hide content

V good. Went to wedding recently and I only knew it was M and S as the bride told me. She did put a topper on it and a couple of flowers to jazz it up as they got a plain one.

• Tigsy87
    Beginner June 2018
    Tigsy87 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much. I've seen some really fancy looking ones for about 295 where as all cake shops are wanting like 500+ and I know half the time the cake doesn't get eaten etc. I'll check nearer the time and see what kind of cakes they have. But thanks so much xx

• teafortwo
    Beginner July 2015
    teafortwo ·
    • Hide content

FIL had an M&S wedding cake and it was tasty! As someone else said, you can always jazz it up a bit with flowers, fruit or a topper and no one will be any the wiser! X

• Mummy2Ebony
    Beginner August 2015
    Mummy2Ebony ·
    • Hide content

My only advise would be to double check the cake sizes. We were going to have an m and s cake, until we looked at the dimensions of the cakes... They were a little on the small size, especially as we wanted the seperate tiers to fit on a stand. They arent terribly deep cakes, but have heard from others that they taste lovely xx

• Tigsy87
    Beginner June 2018
    Tigsy87 ·
    • Hide content

Yeh we are not having massive wedding about 40 during the day and another 100 per night but I will check dimensions. I like the look of cakes like one I've attached link for xx

http://www.marksandspencer.com/shimmering-hoop-chocolate-wedding-cake-dark-and-gold-/p/p60058199

http://www.marksandspencer.com/white-chocolate-ribbons-wedding-cake/p/p60008656

• AnnaMolly
    Beginner October 2015
    AnnaMolly ·
    • Hide content

Oo, that chocolate and gold one is the one I think we're going for. Good choice Smiley winking

• A
    Beginner April 2015
    AprilBride15 ·
    • Hide content

I was looking at M&S cakes too.. very reasonable.

Can I ask what type of cake you are having, and are you intending to feed your evening guests with it as well? I only ask, as you are having the same numbers as us; and the top tier of the cake will easily feed your daytime guests - so unless you are going fruit, or intend to feed the evening guests; the other tiers of the cake may go to waste?

• Tigsy87
    Beginner June 2018
    Tigsy87 ·
    • Hide content

I thought we would cut and serve the cake at night when all guests had arrived and people can have a bit if they want. If I had a big budget I would love a cake with 4 different tiers like plain, chocolate, carrot and fruit so there was something for everyone but they can be about £500 and we just can't justify it . But if you do have the budget try sugar ruffles and rainbow cakes as they have loads of delicious flavours. One friend who is getting married is having a special baileys tier xxx

• Tigsy87
    Beginner June 2018
    Tigsy87 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh it is a gorgeous cake and our theme is gold/champagne but our wedding not til 2017 so may not be around but these are the styles I like xxx

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Almost~Mrs~W ·
    • Hide content

They look lovely

and being m&s im sure they will taste amazing

and great for a fraction of the price of what you have been quoted elsewhere

and as others have said you can add toppers flowers and other cake decorations

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics