Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

~Curley~
Beginner August 2014

Marquee Costs!!!!

~Curley~, 29 of April of 2013 at 19:04 Posted on Planning 0 15

Hiya ladies,

Just seeing if anyone is having a marquee for their reception. Ive got my heart set on one but the cost is a little off putting. I know that they are not cheap but i was trying to stick to my budget and the extra £2500-£3000 on top of food,drink,dj ect. is crippling the budget. Plus i also feel like i am getting less for my money. We have looked at many lovely venues and all in it would cost around £4500, thats for a 3 course sit down dinner, evening buffet, venue, drinks package, dj ect....whereas if i have a marquee its gunna cost more than that for a hog roast and just one arrival drink. Really wish i could find one a little cheaper ☹️ I WANT A MARQUEE!!! AND I WANT IT NOW!!

Strop over (sorry for the self indulgent post ?

xxx

15 replies

Latest activity by Little Pixie , 30 of April of 2013 at 13:39
  • ~Curley~
    Beginner August 2014
    ~Curley~ ·
    • Hide content

Haha got carried away and forgot to ask.....Would you pay the extra and go for the marquee that you have your heart set on....or would you go for value for money and have everything with one venue (taking out alot of the stress) and get more for your money???

xxxx

• Mrs Monkey
    Beginner July 2013
    Mrs Monkey ·
    • Hide content

What is it that makes you want a marquee so much? Is it the whole being outside thing? You might be able to find a venue that has the same feel.

Personally I would go for the cheaper option (but that's because I'm trying to not spend lots on our wedding) But there is nothing wrong with spending more to get something you really want, as long as you have the money. I don't think anyone should get into debt for a wedding.

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Where in the country are you looking? Some hitchers might be able to recommend a venue that has a marquee already set up to use. I saw several that did this. Are you hiring the marquee to put on your own land?

My SIL looked at doing this. The added cost & stress of orgainsing absolutely everything just wasnt worth it- caterers, dance floor, lighting, toiletsry, cutlery, napkins & the list goes on & on.

I agree with previous post, if you can afford it then go for it, but if you could use the money elsewhere, I'd save the money.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Do the venues you have viewed have their own marquees or is it a case of you need to hire one in?

• ~Curley~
    Beginner August 2014
    ~Curley~ ·
    • Hide content

Im looking in the Nottinghamshire area, maybe even Derbyshire but not to far out. I am hiring a marquee to put on some land, its a lovely little village pub, absolutely stunning views of the countryside. The pub can provide the food and will supply the bar and toilets for no cost plus they arent charging me for the land hire either. The owners of the pub are lovely and very reasonable. The only place I have found with a marquee is Rufford Golf club and i didnt like it there tbh. I just had a vision for the day, i wanted a nice summers day, lovely surroundings, children playing on the lawn, people relaxed and happy...you know eat, drink and be merry. I dont mind paying the same as what it would cost for the full works but i begrudge paying more. And it does all come down to the marquee, like i said the owners of the pub are very reasonable and have been very generous. I am trying very hard to stick to the budget and I am looking at where i could claw back some of the money but its such a huge cost that theres no way i could claw the money back. If i could just get it a little cheaper so it was inline with the full works option then i would feel alot happier about it because if i am honest it is my vision for the day.

xxx

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

So far it sound like you have found the perfect venue-- no extra cost to hire a bar or loos or land even ! - what about giant tipis

• Bluebell25
    Beginner August 2013
    Bluebell25 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, they do seem so pricey don't they? We found that as we originally wanted our reception outside, but gave in to pressure and have booked some cover! We've booked some capri marquees, they seem to be much cheaper than your traditional tent, I think it's because they can pop up quite quickly. They may not be to your taste at all, but just a suggestion:

• ~Curley~
    Beginner August 2014
    ~Curley~ ·
    • Hide content

Yes the venue is perfect....just the bloody marquee.

O wow i havent seen these type of marquees. how much did you pay? what happens if it rains?

xxx

• Laura Ellen Photography
    Beginner May 2014
    Laura Ellen Photography ·
    • Hide content

We've booked capri tents too - one larger for a dining area with a smaller connecting one for dancing. They come with removable sides. From memory, it all came to about £2200 & included loos, flooring. lighting, dance floor, tables, etc. We like them as they're a bit more relaxed, great height and light too. We loved the giant tipis, but felt the money was better placed with good food, etc. x

• camelotmarquees
    camelotmarquees ·
    • Hide content

Hello Niks123

As a marquee company these budget questions are very common. Many of our clients are on a budget in current times and we do our best to accomodate and flex where we can, however the venue pricing you described is VERY good. I couldn't compete with that.

The pub that is offering this must be very generous because to offer all of this for the money you state would mean a very small profit IMO. How can they afford to do this is my question?

That said I would bite their hand off as you seem to have a bargain.

I'm based in Dorset, right of the South Coast and I do several tight budget weddings through out each season. These can be pulled together for £1500 but the spec of the marquee is basic. The shell, matting, lights, dance floor and table and chairs, including pitched on local land. Generally speaking I cant find any local land for less than £500 and although they offer great veiws they arent venues so there is always a comprimise on something. It maybe access, drainage, utilities. This means £1000 on the marquee. Notice this doesn't include linings which most people would have for a wedding.

I dont know how many guests you are having but say you had 120 and approached any caterer you are not going to get any good 3 course meal for less than £25 per head. Thats £3000 before you even look at the dj (£200?), bar (from £150?), toilets (luxury trailer £600) Thats just shy of £4000 spent already and you haven't looked at a marquee yet. I really dont want to come across rude but you need a realistic budget and £4500 is not for what you are trying to achieve.

Maybe linings a village hall type venue could be a way to reduce costs. Or seriously consider taking the pub.

I hope this info helps.

good luck

regards

neal

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

We are having a marquee, at a country pub like you want. Yes it is expensive, but its what we wanted so we did it.

You need to decide what is most important I guess. We knew we didn't want a hotel conference room (which really would be the only other option where we live) so we sucked up the cost and got on with it.

Have you considered village halls? You can get marquee linings in them and I always think village halls sound like they would give the same ambience as a country themed marquee?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Marquees are very expensive - it's a bugger.

I'm not sure how realistic this is but my cousin hired an old monastery for the weekend but held the reception outside (after the wedding in a church).

She didn't have a 'proper' marquee - it was more like a glorified garden marquee thing. She set it up on gravel, though, so that it didn't matter if the ground was wet. She had a bbq that was situated under more glorified garden marquee thingies.

It rained a bit and no one noticed but I'm not entirely sure what would have happened if it had bucketed down as it obviously wasn't watertight against torrential rain!

Just thought I'd put it out there.

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Don`t know where you need it to be but my daughter got married at Drayton Old Lodge, Norwich and it has a large fantastic marquee and it was a stunning venue, at reasonable cost.

Hope that helps,

Lynne

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

Ther is a site somewhere called posh frocks and wellies. Cant remember how much they are though

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics